• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario - Up-B Walljump

Acryte

Smash Ace
Honestly, this is an incredibly useful and exclusive tech that Mario has, and yet, of all the Mario matches I've watched, I never see anyone actually using it. So, here's hoping that it's obvious benefits become more obvious and that Mario players start to integrate it into their play. Advance the metagame baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs

I really felt like this needed a video guide of sorts. It covers some of your mixup options, and situations where it can be beneficial. I guess you could also use it to bypass grabbing the ledge on recovery if you were at high percents sometimes (if you can get away with a waveland/airdodge etc). Hopefully this helps some Mario mains out there, I know I have some fun with it hehe. Feel free to discuss applications of the technique, and other stuff regarding Up-B Walljumps in here as well.

[A brief section of johns - for anyone interested]
Due to my current night schedule, I am unable to play my buddies at all. For the few segments that I had bowser edgehog I had to play both characters (2 controllers in my lap). Originally I wanted to do the video with wavedash back edgehogs but doing that while also controlling and timing Mario seemed a bit too difficult to be worth it.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
I said something about this a while back can you like up-b so that you'll sweetspot if you can but walljump when you can like so that the best option will always be picked? or like does it have to be totally prediction for it's use against edge hoggers

Acryte

Smash Ace
No, its not prediction, you can just go for sweetspot and if they edgehog you can walljump, vs if they don't you have options for if you go too high or low. And upon sweetspot you're golden.

Also if your damage was high and you didn't want to grab the edge you could use it there too with an up-b waveland or airdodge.

I really feel like this tech is under-utilized. I mean its an extra chance at saving your stock, there is no reason not to. Its like a Mario exclusive option select.

:phone:

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
i've perfected the up-b wall jump when riding the wall a while ago, but i have trouble up b wall jumping when im not riding the wall at the start of it. any advice?

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'm testing this more extensively, apparently its more difficult than I previously thought when not against the wall. I wish I had AR so I could look at hitboxes/collision data and frame by frame it. A great place to practice is peaches castle and fourside, on the center thingies. It seems on YS that you can do it away from the wall easier because that small chunk that is slightly protruding from the flat face. Idk if that means FD/FOD might work easier too or not, but yea. Otherwise, the tops of edges seem to work as well (referencing the vid). I wish mario's could do forward reverse up-Bs like roy :/ then we could easily cover the extra momentum needed. Not sure if its just real damn frame specific or can't be done on a straight flat wall when starting the up-B away from the wall or not. It'd be awesome if someone could test this stuff out on an emu or AR to find out the frame data and possibilities.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I'm testing this more extensively, apparently its more difficult than I previously thought when not against the wall. I wish I had AR so I could look at hitboxes/collision data and frame by frame it. A great place to practice is peaches castle and fourside, on the center thingies. It seems on YS that you can do it away from the wall easier because that small chunk that is slightly protruding from the flat face. Idk if that means FD/FOD might work easier too or not, but yea. Otherwise, the tops of edges seem to work as well (referencing the vid). I wish mario's could do forward reverse up-Bs like roy :/ then we could easily cover the extra momentum needed. Not sure if its just real damn frame specific or can't be done on a straight flat wall when starting the up-B away from the wall or not. It'd be awesome if someone could test this stuff out on an emu or AR to find out the frame data and possibilities.

Is there any specific timing that you had personally on doing the "fade away" wall jumps? Fade away sounds a lot better imo (: But yes, me and KoopaTroopa have been practicing this for a while and can't seem to find it. The most fade aways I have done is 5 in a row. But on specific timing that I could manage. Help please, God of up-b wall jumping<3 Lol.

D

Deleted member

Fantastic video.

Mario is probably one of my strongest secondaries, and I've been wondering how to do this **** for awhile now.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DYLirious94

Smash Cadet
I can't seem to get the timing for some reason. Can you only do it on those tiny ledges?

a rookie

Smash Ace
I can't seem to get the timing for some reason. Can you only do it on those tiny ledges?
You can do it almost anywhere. But mostly on the edges, bumps, or weird terrain of stages. It's hard to explain. But if it's a true flat wall, I'm not sure if you can do a fade away up b wall jump.

GeZ

Smash Lord
So do you guys just have the timing down and press away from the wall once, or know approximately where it is and press away from the wall a few times quickly?

Last edited:

a rookie

Smash Ace
So do you guys just have the timing down and press away from the wall once, or know approximately where it is and press away from the wall a few times quickly?
Sorry for the late reply D: But yes, I just try it once because I wanna learn the timing. If I push it more than once, then it feels like I'm cheating myself from the real timing and not actually learning it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I just went hard in training and figured this out a while ago. It helps me to hold the stick towards the wall before I press away.

a rookie

Smash Ace
The max distance up b wall jump is a faster timing. Almost instant, but a slight pause if that makes any sense. Lol, from what I've experienced, it only works on the edges/weird bumps on Yoshi's Story and BF. Have no idea of the exact timing though.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'll try it out though. I think I see what you mean from the video you posted. Also the name of the vid is freaking gold. They reverted P:M Mario's Up B wall jump though, so it's not ******** anymore.

a rookie

Smash Ace
LOL, PM Mario had the easiest timing I've ever felt in my life. It makes me laugh when people get hype over seeing someone do that in PM and they assume it's the same in Melee. LMAO. But yeah, that's why I named it that xp I'll try to post a video of different ways to practice up b walljumps though. It's gonna be terrible quality like that one though since I lacks da cap card D:

Myle

Smash Rookie
Put in many wall jump inputs out of the Up-B so if you miss the frame that you have to do it on you have another chance to hit it for more consistency!

Last edited:
Top Bottom