• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Strategies in Doubles

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just wondering what you Marios out there do in doubles. I'm personally terrible in doubles....I suppose it's because aggro Mario gets absolutely murdered in doubles at times.

Should I be camping all the time? Should I pick and choose match-ups/teammates to go aggro against/with? What do I do when up against double MK??

Help Mario bros? :awesome:

Matt07

Smash Master
I'm not a big doubles person myself, I prefer singles instead. Doubles is still fun though, lol.

In doubles I like to play a very aggresive style especially because theere is less opportunites to get punish for mistakes with a partner because it makes it harder to capitlize mistakes, when they have to worry about 2 characters.

I usually teamed with a Marth and he'd stay back most of the time and play more cautiously, while I went to rack damage.

Usually when aggro in doubles, d-air works wonders its very quick and has good priority so if the opposing teammate goes to jump in he might get caught. Plus they get popped up in the air which can lead to a string if your opponent is ready. Fireballs are also very good, if you set up a wall where your behind your opponent spamming Fireball's. Depending on which characters you're playing against they'll be forced to play a more cautious style, and take damage while trying to get through the wall. Not to mention, Mario has decent at racking damage in my opinion, and teaming with someone who can score KO's fairly efficiently would make a good team.

I found Luigi is a really good partner (as many have said), I teamed with 1 a while back for the first time and we played pretty decently. But I mean it depends on how you and your opponent play's, and how well you guys work together as a team, communication is probably key too in doubles.

I've never played against Double MK, but you're safest option is to play more cautiously, because luckily Metaknight doesn't have a projectile, and your Fireball goes through all of his moves. It also makes it more harder for him to Tornado because both you and your opponent can capitilize on punish it depending where they're Tornado'ing from. Mario doesn't get too badly owned by the Tornado, but if you're teaming with a character who get's hurt by Tornado, it could cause some issues.

Also experiment with your parenter/character try to set-up some good opportunites to use Cape to score some very early K.O's. Grab's are probably your most reliable way of doing this. Especially some up-throws (Jigglypuff's u-throw has huge knockback, imagine with Cape O_o.)

Sorry for wall of text, and I hope some of this information proved useful.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario doesn't get too badly owned by the Tornado, but if you're teaming with a character who get's hurt by Tornado, it could cause some issues.

Sorry for wall of text, and I hope some of this information proved useful.
Thanks for the wall, it's definitely stuff to think about, lol.

The bolded bit was a big issue for me yesterday though. I was teamed with a good DK player and we were doing well for never having teamed before, but whenever we ran into double tornado, I didn't know how to assist or at least capitalize off its lag.

I considered trying to score a gimp from it with Cape/Fludd, but it didn't work out.

Btw, when are we teaming in SC2 again?? Drone/SCV rush?? Yeaaaaaaa :awesome:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
mario is all support

most of his mus get erased if u got a good partner

obv team chem is needed and all that stuff

i just combo things and fludd things around and gimp things. pretty straightforward. im sure 7fro and bo x7 have best chemistry since they play each other all the time so u should look for that

/****ty post blamecollege

Matt07

Smash Master
Matador when the MK was Tornado'ing DK was he high above you? I think if you up-air and hit the bottom part of MK it'd break him out of Tornado. At least I believe so. Or, upB, quickly, either hit the MK out of the Tornado, or hit both of them (but 1-5% isn't a lot of damage)

Haha, next time I'm on hit me up on SC2, also join our SWF SC2 League! Go to the Lighthouse sub-forum, we're planning on doing a 1v1 tourney sometime ^-^. And that goes for anyone else who plays SC2 as well :).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador when the MK was Tornado'ing DK was he high above you? I think if you up-air and hit the bottom part of MK it'd break him out of Tornado. At least I believe so. Or, upB, quickly, either hit the MK out of the Tornado, or hit both of them (but 1-5% isn't a lot of damage)

Haha, next time I'm on hit me up on SC2, also join our SWF SC2 League! Go to the Lighthouse sub-forum, we're planning on doing a 1v1 tourney sometime ^-^. And that goes for anyone else who plays SC2 as well :).
I didn't know either of those worked...does EVERYTHING beat nado from the bottom?

And yea, maybe I'll join the league, lol.

Edit @ Hippie: Support huh? Is that dependent on match-ups and partner?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I don't even like to use Mario in doubles, I feel that Luigi outdoes him in every way possible in doubles...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I agree, Luigi's amazing in doubles.

I like Mario though, lol. If I were going purely for the win, I'd just go MK or something.

Matt07

Smash Master
I heard everything beats Tornado if you're below him because there's no hitbox. That's why most Metaknight's Tornado low to the ground first, but too low because grounded Tornado has less priority(?)

BSP

Smash Legend
I think the grounded nado has more chance of clashing with attacks, and aerial is...well aerial and aerials don't clash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario is GREAT in doubles, but the character you team with is important.

Mario is quite capable of doing a lot of things in doubles, but he's best at damage dealing and support. He also stock tanks very effectively due to his weight, small size, good evasive options, and decent recovery.

Mario has a number of tools that make him a good damage dealer. His D-smash and B-throw are great clearout moves, and when things get hectic, you can usually rely on those to clear the field and stay in a good position. His fast aerials, while not necessarily having the best priority, still make good spacial control tools especially on small platformed stages.

When you use Mario in doubles, you generally want someone who is better at killing. Support that person's approaches with fireballs to make their job easier. G&W is the obvious best teammate for Mario due to his insane KO potential, and G&W also really likes getting support from Mario's fireballs. Teammates like Snake, DK, and Luigi also work pretty well with Mario.

I've used both Mario and Luigi in doubles. I think they have different purposes, but they're both great characters in doubles. Luigi is probably easier to find a place on teams due to his KO power (there's more characters that can support and deal damage effectively as opposed to characters that have great niche KO options). But if you play to Mario's options for the supporting role, he can be very rewarding too.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
My wall of text:

Don't suck.

Don't kill your partner.

Do kill/gimp your opponent.

Do win.

Do these steps, you will profit.

Top Bottom