• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Speaks

47drift

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick thought.

How would you like it if Mario talked like he did in Superstar Saga and Partners in Time? You know, with the gibberish "Italian" and such. I thought it might work out if he talked like that in Subspace. Might be pretty clever.

If not, how should he speak? All the silence is quite disturbing...

Hoo-hoo! Let's-a-go!

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
"So. . .we meet at last."

". . ."

"They call me. . .Sonic. I've heard a lot about you, Mario." *Clenches Fists* "Tell me. . .You think you'll be able to make this interesting for me?"

"Abloobitbloobity."

". . .What?"

I think I'd **** a lung laughing if that happened.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman

". . ."

"They call me. . .Sonic. I've heard a lot about you, Mario." *Clenches Fists* "Tell me. . .You think you'll be able to make this interesting for me?"

"Abloobitbloobity."

". . .What?"

You, sir, have just made my day:laugh:

Darkurai

Smash Master

". . ."

"Abloobitbloobity."

". . .What?"

That just made my day.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
The only time I heard Mario speak 5 or more sentences was at his Awarding at a G4 Game Show.
It's interesting on how Mario doesn't talk much.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Weird idea. Would be bittersweet. Ya know, we finally get a few words outta mario, but it may start to kill you from all that annoyingness of the "Mamma mia let's-a go-a defeat-a Meta Knight-a.". Not that I think it would sound that way, but if you heard Bowser's voice in Super Mario Sunshine then you may have some second thoughts. Btw, I saw that video.

P.S. I'm so happy they made Bowser sound like a little brrraa blaarr blah, but you can still make out the words when you read in Super Mario Galaxy.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Yah. He does. I know it wouldn't sound as annoying as I made it. Although that interview was getting a little annoying voicing.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
I thought that second vid was a little funny/lame, simply because the guy was actually trying to have a conversation with another guy in a Mario costume.

I wouldn't mind Mario saying a few one-liners in SE. He really doesn't need to.

Izaw

Smash Ace
He talks at the Mario 64 game :p "Its a mee mario" "mama mia" and stuff...

Then he talks alot on the Mario Party games too... like "I got a star"

Think he will be making small small sentences like these on the game.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Funny, I've been thinking it would be nice to hear Mario's voice less. I mean, at what point did Mario's high-pitched, overly-energetic gibberish become preferable to the classic jumping noises of the old-school sidescrollers? I dunno, maybe I think that way because I grew up with the Brooklyn-born Mario of the Super Mario Super-Show, but Charles Martinet's voice just grates on me, at least in large doses.

Also, what is this doing in the Brawl Character Discussion section?

47drift

Smash Journeyman
Also, what is this doing in the Brawl Character Discussion section?
Let's see. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Mario is a character in there, no? Thus, discussing Mario would be discussing a character in Brawl, would it not?

I rest my case. :D

The rAt

Smash Ace
Let's see. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Mario is a character in there, no? Thus, discussing Mario would be discussing a character in Brawl, would it not?

I rest my case. :D
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Generally, the point of the Brawl Character discussion section is to discuss characters as they relate to Brawl, not all aspects of each character that happens to be included in Brawl. Not that I care a great deal, but so far this discussion has about as much to do with Brawl as a discussion on which version of Link looks the best.

I think you rested your case a bit prematurely.

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
Mario is a mystery....he never says more than four words at a time. It feels like hes obligated to save princess peach and doesn't seem like he knows any better. He has no problem defeating Bowser either. Hes an italian/plumber/gymnast who can shoot fireballs, grow twice his size with a mushroom, has 3 lives.

What the hell is this plumber hiding?

The rAt

Smash Ace
Mario is a mystery....he never says more than four words at a time. It feels like hes obligated to save princess peach and doesn't seem like he knows any better. He has no problem defeating Bowser either. Hes an italian/plumber/gymnast who can shoot fireballs, grow twice his size with a mushroom, has 3 lives.

Mob connections.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
but Charles Martinet's voice just grates on me, at least in large doses.?
That's the thing though. The cutscenes are only about one minute in length in Brawl. I doubt we'll be hearing much of Mario within those cutscenes, so it shouldn't be anywhere near the length of time in those youtube videos...

The rAt

Smash Ace
That's the thing though. The cutscenes are only about one minute in length in Brawl. I doubt we'll be hearing much of Mario within those cutscenes, so it shouldn't be anywhere near the length of time in those youtube videos...
Well, I meant that the ammount of Mario's voice I hear already is bordering on too much for my taste. You're right that it probably wouldn't be a massive change, but it would be a big enough of one to bother me. Unless they cut his voice out of the gameplay and replaced it with the old-school jumping noises. Then I wouldn't get tired of his voice so quickly, and hearing his voice in cutscenes would be more bearable. For me, anyways.

Also, which youtube vidoes were you refering to?

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
Personally I like the version of his voice from Super Mario 64 the best out of the video game versions, with Melee second and Brawl/Galaxy's Mario voice tied for last. (Too high-pitched now IMO). Contrast his long/triple jumps in Mario 64, or his Tornado in Melee, with Galaxy or the Brawl trailer where he fights Snake and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I don't really care about Mario saying a few lines, just not too much. I already know he can talk, and I(having practiced Mario's voice) can speak Mario's voice in full lines now myself.

Charles Martinet seems to go a little overboard with Mario lately. And I hope his voice will be more like in Mario 64 or Melee/Sunshine, instead of like Galaxy. His voice is way too high pitched and joyfull. And that voice doesn't fit him that much the way he looks in Melee and Brawl.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Those.

10 chars...
Ah, must've missed those. Gotta admit, that first one isn't half bad.

I don't really care about Mario saying a few lines, just not too much. I already know he can talk, and I(having practiced Mario's voice) can speak Mario's voice in full lines now myself.

Charles Martinet seems to go a little overboard with Mario lately. And I hope his voice will be more like in Mario 64 or Melee/Sunshine, instead of like Galaxy. His voice is way too high pitched and joyfull. And that voice doesn't fit him that much the way he looks in Melee and Brawl.
Agreed. Everytime I hear him yell "Super Mario Galaxeeee!!", I want to punch a kitten.

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
"Hello, it’s-a me, Mario. Woo-hoo! And I’m-a calling you because I’m here at the GameStop where they telling me you pre-ordered my newest and greatest game, Super Mario Galaxy! Woo-hoo! It’s an amazing game, and it’s-a going to be here tomorrow at your local GameStop. You can come and pick it up at the GameStop store where you originally reserve you copy. Whoopee! I’m-a can’t wait for you to see me flying around in my bumblebee outfit. I’m-a out in space trying to rescue the princess. Ah, she makes my heart go bada-bing-bada-boom-bada-ba. Oh, and you know what else? GameStop will let you bring in your old gameses to trade in for credit. Yah, credit to help you buy you copy of Super Mario Galaxy, with-a me, Mario. Oh and if you have any questions make sure you call you local GameStop store where you pre-order my game, and they going to be happy to help you out. Okey dokey? Okey dokey! Happy holidays! And thank you very much for buying my new game, Super Mario Galaxy, at the GameStop. Woo-hoo!”

Haha, absolutely made my day when I got this call from Mario. Check out the story here if you weren't lucky enough to get a preorder from Gamestop.

On topic, I'd love to here a random SSS gibberish every once in a while, that would be incredible (babaduiobdop), but if he ever says any sentences, I'll refuse to play him, lol.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I like the Mario voice, but Charles Martinet has little obsession with saying Woo-hoo or something alike after every few sentences. It can get annoying.

Meh, if he talks, it should be inspired by jokes. I loved the Mario & Sonic commercial jokes, and the Mario&Luigi talk, but I can get kinda annoyed by him talking in spots always talking about himself and how great his game is.

TheKruskinator

Smash Apprentice

Pot. Lots and lots of pot.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman

". . ."

"Abloobitbloobity."

". . .What?"

taht was the funniest thing I heard all day!!! I am still laughing and typing this at the same time! I willl tey nott tu mizz thr keezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Demonplant

Smash Cadet
I like the way they did marios talking. the whole " its a me a mario" makes me giggle every time....

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Hey Mario thanks for fixing my toile-

Hey what? What are you trying to say? What he hell does "WAHOO!" mean?

What the hell is wrong my toilet

"YAHOO" Doesn't solve my problem.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The ways they made him communicate in the Mario & Luigi series and the Paper Mario series would be great for the adventure mode!

Then again I can see why they wouldn't include him speaking.

Top Bottom