• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MARIO MAINS, i need help defeating Olimar and pikachu!

kobefan

Smash Rookie
I cant beat olimar and pikachu, i try to stay back and fireball spam, but always end up getting caught.

Against Olimar:

whats the best techniques?

Against pikachu: how do i avoid his whirly spin ( i think down A), and how can i quickly avoid his lighting attack while being thrown in the air (not enough time to cape it)

thanks !

Tlmab

Smash Cadet
I cant beat olimar and pikachu, i try to stay back and fireball spam, but always end up getting caught.

Against Olimar:

whats the best techniques?

Against pikachu: how do i avoid his whirly spin ( i think down A), and how can i quickly avoid his lighting attack while being thrown in the air (not enough time to cape it)

thanks !
For olimar what I recommend is to fight him normally, but when he have high percent, just down smash him out of the stage and edgehog he should be easy.

As for picachu I found out that you can really scape his down smash by tapping and holding the stick up, if you do it right, you should be able to scape.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
hahahaha fighting against olimar is insanely easy! his recovery is sooo bad so when edgeguarding knock him further as possible then hold ledge to prevent him from recovering. also when keep ing your space and spamming your fireball it's best to use cape to predict his throwing move. use down a more often as well and also up smash for the win. he's lightweight =D

on a second note, pikachu is also... easy but difficult. i'd say you have this adventage. use fluid to control your space. if you watch some of boss's videos, perhaps you'll learn something new

kobefan

Smash Rookie
but doesnt olimar hit you with his up B, causing him to go on the ledge?

And what do you mean by scape on top, is that like jumping off his head without danger?

thanks!

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
but doesnt olimar hit you with his up B, causing him to go on the ledge?

And what do you mean by scape on top, is that like jumping off his head without danger?

thanks!
Olimar's up+b will hit you if you're hanging on the ledge, but he won't grab the ledge after hitting you...unless he hits you with the purple pikmin.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
hahahaha fighting against olimar is insanely easy! his recovery is sooo bad so when edgeguarding knock him further as possible then hold ledge to prevent him from recovering. also when keeping your space and spamming your fireball it's best to use cape to predict his throwing move. use down a more often as well and also up smash for the win. he's lightweight =D
Olimar isn't an easy match by any means...it's easier than Metaknight but the match is still in Olimar's favor.

Olimar has something for everything Mario has...Fireball camping works fine until he throws a Purple or Red Pikmin(Purple goes through fireballs and hits you Red is immune to fire). You would think capeing would work fine but it leaves you open for a grab or smash. Olimar has the most broken grab in the entire game...it has insane range and it's the only grab that you can cape...and still get grabbed. He can Nair through almost all of your moves. The ONLY good thing about this match up is how bad his recovery is

Olimar's up+b will hit you if you're hanging on the ledge, but he won't grab the ledge after hitting you...unless he hits you with the purple pikmin.
Right as the chain is about to hit you roll onto the stage...you don't get hit and he still dies

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Dude, both characters have an advantage on Mario. Olimar can outcamp you and his ridiculous priority makes the match frustrating especially when you're fighting someone that can use Olimar well. Olimar counters Mario. Same goes for Pikachu. His aerial priority's decent. His aerial attacks are fast and he's just a really annoying character to fight against with his F-smash, D-smash, lightning, and U-smash.

Monk covered Olimar, so I deleted my Olimar advice.

To fight Pikachu, you'll need to be very careful of his D-smash. I've played against Ussi's Pikachu and he likes that attack a lot. What you can do is just DI upward and left or right to just suffer 6% of the attack if it's first used uncharged. You can punish it with F-smash when spaced properly. U-tilt combos work against Pikachu. If Pikachu air-dodges out of it, wait for his invincibility to disappear and use bair if he's at high damage or uair to juggle him if his damage is moderate. If Pikachu spams his Thunder Jolt, just use fireballs and cape. You can even use FLUDD to beat it out. Just keep doing this while simultaneouly getting closer and closer to him. If Pikachu uses Thunder, space yourself properly and do an F-smash. I've done this before on a Pikachu I've faced when I made an epic comeback. If Pikachu uses Skull Bash, cape him at the right time or just FLUDD him to shorten the distance. His aerials are a pain, though. I think you can actually bair him while Pikachu does his fair. Make sure to use Dair in this battle, too. It comes out very quick and can get you out of sticky situations. Nair comes in handy at well since it's also a quick attack and can be used for a jab lock set-up and for D-smash. Use jab->grab or jab->D-smash. Comes in handy.

I hope this advice has helped you. :)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I haven't fought a really good competitive olimar yet but what i know is keep on the pressure on him. Don't let him camp. Just knock him out of the stage. Cape and Fludd him and edgehog. As for Pikachu, hes down smash is most annoyance to me. Just do wait and punish. Let him use laggy moves and go in for the punishing kill. That's abit it

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Spacing is key when fighting Olimar. His attacks have incredible range but punishable lag. Olimar will also go for grabs as often as possible because of how easily he can land them. You can also kill him at extremely low percents; capitalize everytime he's off the edge. Quick KOs are key here.

Top Bottom