• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
.....holy......

I never expected this forum to be THAT salty on the game.....

Like, goign tbh, I went from very pessimist to very optimistic and I ended preordering the game after I saw the JP trailer because what this game does is what SS failed miserably....being an rpg and actually have the paper mario charms.

Look, if you expect this game to be a tribute to paper mario, it was made obvious since long ago that this is not what they are going for. They basically just wants to have paper mario elements in m&l, this doesn;t mean it HAS to have paper mario specific characters nor refference, it means that the series shoudl feel present in m&l, which it does.

Everyone complains about SS eleemnts.......while let';s be honest, even though I am aware of what comes from SS, so far, none of them are bad. SS had pointless battles, the logistic was messed up, I coudln';t even call it an rpg since it was so all over the place. SS had almost no dialogs while at least paper jam so far has REALLY good one (I even saw both humor style from both series).

There';s no stickers mechanics, there's assets used, but tbh, the assets weren;t wrong, it's how they were used.

And let me tell you why they would pick SS: reusing assets takes way less time in dev and do remember that this isn;t a paper mario game, they didn;t have to make newer ones. In fact, uit's a pretty good compromise to have them used in a MUCH better way than SS did.

Now, the ONLY thing I agree and I actually doubted before is yes, the npc ARE generic and most of them are paper toads. That, I will agree, it's bad, BUT what I realised is it woudln;t matter this much. After seeing footages, I realised they were pushing the personality of the character paper mario A LOT (probably the game when it is the msot obvious). If i think about this that you have hium for 90% of the game (and saw VERY awesome scene with him so far), it;s not as bad as SS, in fact it completely blew SS because SS had almost nothing.......not even Bowser had anything......

In fact, his representation fits him so well that it is doing what I would expect from a paper mario game, but this is an m&l game!

This is why I don;t get the salt, for the paper mario side, it is doing as I would expect from the series and for the dream team side, all I see is they expanded on it.

Imo, this game is more acting as a transition for Paper Mario to fix what SS did and just another entry for the m&l side. It was by no way a paper mario game that would have fixed everything, i didn;t expected that and I feel a lot did.

The last thing I am going to say is out of all the reactions I got online, SB so far is the most pessimist......idk why, but to me, there;s nothign to worry abotu the paper mario series.......

Shog

Smash Ace
I have to admit the nostalgia flashback for the Battle Theme of Superstar Saga made dance for 10 mins straight(trying to replicate Mario's Dance style since over 10 years ago hehe)

This game has such a nice feeling to it, and I already love the setup and style of the game, also the battle mechanics are as good as always (so far)

ALSO SPRINT. HELL YEAH

I can't wait to continue playing tomorrow ^o^

Also I agree with above poster, this is a Main Series Game for M&L series, not really a Paper Mario series

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This will probably be the first M&L game I buy on day 1. I'm really excited and I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers.

I don't know much about the overall plot, though hopefully it isn't as overly simple as Sticker Star.

D

Deleted member

Although I don't play the games anymore I enjoy the series, their charming, hilarious, and full of personality from the braveness of Mario, to Luigi's underdog nature, to Bowser's meancing evil nature, he's my favourite villain Mario and Luigi my favourite characters, in both real life and in the Super Mario series and this one. It's really a true gem and this game is amazing I'm sure!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'm not completely sold, but I do see they made some improvements.
Like how they got rid of the forced Gyro control on those Bros. Attacks.
And the Battle Cards concept looks decent.

Got Paper Jam on Christmas. Haven't beaten it yet, but the worst part of the game are the bosses, imo. Most of them have annoying gimmicks or are overpowered.

Examples are Giant Pokey and Tower Power Pokey, which are fought together, both have ridiculous amount of health for game's second boss, and some of their attacks are overpowered.

I also found Larry & Ludwig (they use battle cards), Paper Petey Piranha (has at least eight copies, and you have to make them collapse in order to find the real Petey), Chargin' Chuck Brigade (you have to defeat all on the same time) and Wiggler & Paper Kamek (you have to beat Wiggler, who has ridiculously amount of health, before you can attack Paper Kamek, and he will heal the Wiggler back to full health at some point) frustrating due to their gimmicks.

Only bosses that I didn't find hard were normal Petey Piranha, Wendy & Roy, and the first three Papercraft bosses.

Also, the chase attacks are cancer. I hated them in previous game, I hate them in this one, and I wish they got rid of them.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Picked it up yesterday and so far I'm loving it. I especially like the battle achievement system thing, where doing certain tasks in battles grants you extra exp (not sure if Dream Team had this).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda disappointed.

So far, this game feels like it could've and should've been a lot better. The overall presentation of the game plays it a bit to safe for me, and much safer than the previous Mario & Luigi games did. Just because it was a crossover between two Mario games doesn't mean they had to keep it so limited to the traditional Mario stuff, mainly the locations and enemies.

Look at what we were up against and where in the previous M&L games:
- SS: Bean people in a whole new kingdom with new characters, species, and other things
- PiT: Weird aliens in various places across time
- BIS: A returning bean guy and his cool minions in the Mushroom Kingdom/micro-organisms INSIDE BOWSER
- DT: A dream bat wizard guy in a kinda generic but still interesting kingdom, with some cool dream monsters, though a bunch of typical Mario enemies too

Now we're in the typical Mushroom Kingdom with the typical worlds (Grassland, Desert, Forest, Ice Mountain, Tropical Island) against Bowser.

While I am enjoying the gameplay, the overall experience is kinda lackluster to me, probably because of what I expect from the M&L games and why I like them so much.
I like the M&L games because they brought new things to the Mario universe: new worlds, new characters, etc., and each game held a completely different atmosphere from each other and the main Mario games, which Paper Jam kinda still does. What makes Paper Jam fall it bit flat, much like paper, for me, is the fact that it's just the Mario things we know and love.
Yes, I do love the M&L games and the Paper Mario games, but what I love about them is that with each installment they give us something completely NEW to love!

But the game couldn't really help it. It was a crossover game between Mario and Mario. With that concept, it really should pull from the already existing Mario things, and shouldn't really have anything new storywise or worldwise. Perhaps, because of this, a crossover was simply not a great idea. When the two series are focused on combining their basic atmospherically elements and emphasizing the ones they share, there isn't any room to bring in new ones.

All in all, the game is fun, and it does a good job for what it is going for. The problem is that I'm not the biggest fan of what they were going for, and would have preferred an excellent new adventure instead of a celebration of all the excellent things from the past.

Though besides the whole thing I said above, which are issues with my personal preference and expectations in a M&L game, there are things I would actually point out as things that I think, all bias aside, are actual negatives and things the game does poorly.

1. The Paper Toad Missions - I can't say much that hasn't already been said about these. They just aren't really fun, are too repetitive, too apparent.

2. The Lack of More Lesser Known Characters - As I said above, the things that make the M&L and PM games great are the unique and rich atmosphere they provide, the characters especially. So why didn't they include some of the more obscure but still memorable characters from each of the respective series? I was genuinely dissapointed at the lack of Mr. L, mainly because the lack of Paper Luigi in any of the promotional art or trailers got me hoping it'd be a big twist. There are a bunch of other characters that coul have been great. Why not have some of the memorable villains like Dimentio, maybe the unfrozen Elder Shroob Princess, or what about Popple who just ran off in Dream Team? Hell, another thing that kinda bothered me was the lack of a character for the X button and how it was kinda un-used, so why not have some of Paper Mario's most memorable helpers serve that role, being unlocked throughout the game and able to be switched out. As a crossover between Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario it kinda failed in terms of combining the most memorable, yet somewhat obscure, characters from each series, and it feels like they only brought out the necessary characters. This was pretty dissapointing to me when I considered the fact that there probably won't ever be another crossover like this, so there's no second chance to bring them together.

That's really all I have to say about the game. Besides the negatives, it's fun, and does a decent job at combining the two series, though it certainly could have been better.

Overall, I give this game a solid:
7.75/10

Until the next Mario & Luigi game, I anxiously hope and pray for Mario & Luigi: Wacky Rivals, where the X and Y Buttons are Wario and Waluigi, and you switch between the Mario Bros. and the Wario Bros. like you switched between the Bros. and Bowser in BIS.

Please Alphadream..........please do it. I've been hoping for this for 4 or 5 years now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I recently started playing the game the other night. It's pretty good so far.

Don't know if I'll be able to finish it before Fire Emblem Fates comes out but it sure will keep me busy until then.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ This game is more underrated than Dream Team. That being said, I can understand why reviewers are kind of harsh towards it, but for the most part I'm enjoying it. My only problem is very little Paper Mario format, and too many Paper Toad rescue missions, other than that, I'm solid about this game.

Top Bottom