• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol guys, these characters are the unlocked from the start characters, not the full cast, come on now, really, quit ******** about the cast when it hasnt been fully revealed yet.

This is like someone saying Smash 4's cast is bad because it doesnt have staple characters like Captain Falcon and Ness; obviously they have more to show, so instead of pissing on the roster size/lack thereof, get mad at the fact that Metal Peach is a stupid character or something actually relevant and not dumb.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm still anticipating Senior Mario. It's going to happen one day, just wait!

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Lol guys, these characters are the unlocked from the start characters, not the full cast, come on now, really, quit *****ing about the cast when it hasnt been fully revealed yet.

This is like someone saying Smash 4's cast is bad because it doesnt have staple characters like Captain Falcon and Ness; obviously they have more to show, so instead of pissing on the roster size/lack thereof, get mad at the fact that Metal Peach is a stupid character or something actually relevant and not dumb.
Smash dev's have an understanding of the player base, i think.
Mario kart is kinda just like in the air, and leaves people wondering.

D

Deleted member

After rewatching this Direct, I wonder why Nintendo insists that much to deny the existence of Super Circuits... ?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I honestly hope Kirby being teased for MK8 means he's actually in the game. The teasing in that Rosalina trailer is just too good to be true.
Kirby wasn't teased at all. That was just a smash bros newcomer reveal. Had nothing to do with Mario Kart.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lol guys, these characters are the unlocked from the start characters, not the full cast, come on now, really, quit *****ing about the cast when it hasnt been fully revealed yet.
If that were true, then the loading screen would've shown more than just the characters who were confirmed on the E3 2013 trailer. I think the loading screen is pointing out which characters will be the starters.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
So no Bowser Jr., Diddy, dry bones, Wigglier, King Boo, or even Birdo . . . but we got . . .

. . . Baby Rosalina . . .

. . . and Pink Gold Peach . . .

. . . eeh . . .

EDIT: Looking back Honey Queen wasn't that bad compared to this imo . . .

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If that were true, then the loading screen would've shown more than just the characters who were confirmed on the E3 2013 trailer. I think the loading screen is pointing out which characters will be the starters.
Because clearly loading screens never change, every loading screen for Nintendo games always shows the starting roster, and all this has to be completely true and theres no possibility it can be any other way right?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Why is Wendy a lightweight? She's got a similar physique to Ludwig, who's middle. I really want to use her, but can't stand using light characters.

R0Y

Smash Master
Why is Wendy a lightweight? She's got a similar physique to Ludwig, who's middle. I really want to use her, but can't stand using light characters.
Short answer, probably because she's female. Seriously, that's probably the thought process given her size compared to Ludwig.

Pink Gold Peach as a heavy also seems a bit much, and I never thought I'd see a reference in a game to this metal alloy.

Baby Rosalina though...I predicted, also a lightweight.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Short answer, probably because she's female. Seriously, that's probably the thought process given her size compared to Ludwig.

Pink Gold Peach as a heavy also seems a bit much, and I never thought I'd see a reference in a game to this metal alloy.

Baby Rosalina though...I predicted, also a lightweight.
It's probably rather of wanting more lights for the Koopalings. Remember, Rosalina is female, but she's Heavy. ^^

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Because the 'Weight' classes arent completely determined determined by weight, but overall body size, the translation back when Weight classes were added was just not 100%, but due to people being used to it being called Weight in the English versions, they stuck with it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Are you freaking kidding me? Baby Rosalina did not need to happen....I blame some fan demand for this...

Making baby Rosalina a thing kind of ruined her character for me. She wasn't a typical Mario character, not one that you see in nearly every spin-off and one that gets a variety of sports outfits. She was given a backstory that had some tragic parts in it, she had a much deeper character than almost every Mario character. Her story even made for a better storyline overall for Super Mario Galaxy, it's rare that a Mario game is given a good storyline. (outside of the Mario RPG series that is)

As a King Boo, Bowser Jr. and Dry Bowesr (among others) main in MKWii, (and one who strongly dislikes baby characters ion Mario spin-offs) this really ticks me off. (doesn't mean they're all definitely out, I think Dry Bowser may still be in)

And Gold Peach......WAT

Garbage, from King Garbage, of the Garbage Dynasty.

This might very well be the last Mario Kart game I get if any future games have such bland rosters. I'm glad to see the Koopalings and Shy Guy are in though, so there's that at least.

/endrant

I'm just...disappointed in these decisions. Mario Kart 8 was looking to be one of the best Mario Kart games yet, amazing tracks, graphics and all, but the roster is a massive disappointment to me. More likely than not, there is no Dry Bowser, no Birdo, no Dry Bones, no Diddy Kong, no Bowser Jr. no King Boo....ah well.

Would be nice to see Petey Piranha in MK again sometime.

Even a Blooper would be pretty neat in my opinion.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I am baffled by people losing their minds over Baby Rosalina.

Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are a different story, as they just scream "we ran out of time and needed to even out the roster rows, so here's some re-textured characters with voice clips edited in Audacity".

But Baby Rosalina was a matter of time, and made complete sense. Mario Kart is really struggling to find legitimately appealing characters at this point (Rosalina in MKWii was really the last big hitter, IMO, especially at the time. MK7 literally had no really cool new characters. Lakitu was OK, but nothing special), and making baby versions of the main Mario cast is a cute way of adding more appealing additions.

Someone on tumblr just tried to tell me "Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina are not OK because they never existed before Mario Kart". So taking the designs of other baby characters from other games is A-OK, yet inventing a new design for new Baby characters is not? God forbid the developers try to add what little innovation they possibly can to the roster.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Metal Mario actually has different voice clips. He's one cocky son of a gun if you pay attention.

Like he says "See ya!", but Mario never does.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Marvel at my horrendous image editing skills. Since we're always making Smash Bros. rosters here, why not Mario Kart?

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
As annoying as Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina are, I'm pretty sure there are still a few unlockable characters in the scene hidden somewhere.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
xHackAttackx said:
As annoying as Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina are, I'm pretty sure there are still a few unlockable characters in the scene hidden somewhere.
Haha, yeah I wish. But I know that Nintendo thinks that 30 characters are good enough.

But hell, would I love to be wrong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It should be noted that MKWii had no indication that you could unlock hidden characters. It had two small columns by default, and the character icons got smaller as you unlocked more characters.

I can see room for at least another row of characters in MK8. They could be unlockable or DLC.

Shök

Smash Champion
Can't wait to see the rest of the chars. I saw Baby Rosalina coming, but not Pink Gold Peach. Lol...

Also, all tracks and their respective cups confirmed at the official MK8 site:

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It sounds like some people are already considering Mario Kart 8 to be a failure, and it won't even be out for another month. It's a tough crowd apparently.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
Marvel at my horrendous image editing skills. Since we're always making Smash Bros. rosters here, why not Mario Kart?

Hm, that gives me the idea to make a Roster Display Thread just for this game. It'd be interesting. Excuse me while I try to do my own roster in the Roster Maker. It won't be good considering it's generally for Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It should be noted that MKWii had no indication that you could unlock hidden characters. It had two small columns by default, and the character icons got smaller as you unlocked more characters.

I can see room for at least another row of characters in MK8. They could be unlockable or DLC.
I hope you're right. It would seem very awkward to not have Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr. back. Even Dry Bowser deserves some love.

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
Pink Gold Peach?? And I thought Metal Mario was bad. Still, I can't complain; I have one character I like in each weight class and everything else in the Direct blew me away.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
In the end, no matter how bad the roster turns out, don't let it stop you from playing the characters that you love.
Well IF the character you love are there :c

Well I won't let those 2 ruin the game for me. There still too much to love about this game to ruin it for me.

Edit: By the way I didn't know Pink Gold was a thing until today *-*

Last edited:
Top Bottom