• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario isn't bad because of Fludd.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
On the contrary, the move is quite good for spacing. (stopping aerial and ground attacks)
Mario tornado is quite bad actually, to laggy and merited a Luigi jump fire jump punch to the face. It's only use was recovering. (barely)

No. In Brawl, Mario is bad because he's overshadowed by many characters. He's not balanced, he's underbalanced actually. He has a predictable killer (Fsmash) Upsmash is weak in Brawl, he doesn't have anything spectacular about him, and his recovery is atrocious. PK flash atrocious.

Luigi ironically overshadows Mario in the moves they have that are the same. Test it out yourselves, his Nair does more damage AND more damage (What the hell? it can also kill!)
Uair does more more damage and more knockback (this kills of the top and combo's better than Mario's) Next we have Luigi Bair, which has more range, more damage AND knockback.

On the ground, Luigi Ftilt has more range. AAA combo does more damage (1 more %) U tilt is much better, and his Fsmash while also predictable but has much more knockback, but less damage)

Look I don't hate Mario, but I can assure what I said was 100% true.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
The fact that mario's uair has been weakend is just a benefit to help arial combos. The same goes for all of his other moves that have gotten weaker. Not to mention the fact that his cape and fludd makes for great edge guarding witch luigi couldnt egde guard if his life depended on it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi is better than Mario. No denying that. He's seriously high tier material. Vertical KOs are especially critical in Brawl from what I understand since recovery is overall easier, and Luigi can get some easy 50% kills by Jabbing -> Up-B. His juggling abilities are also monstrous, and so are his Smash attacks.

Mario actually isn't very far behind though. What Luigi doesn't have that Mario has is a good projectile and ledgeguard game. Mario also can deal with projectile spam much more aptly because he is more nimble and has a Cape.

I'd go on a limb and say Mario by far actually is the most powerful ledgeguarder in all of Brawl. This alone easily should allow Mario to go up against the top competition in Brawl.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I whole heartedly agree. If anyone thinks that luigi is better than mario then give me your brawl fc and we will find out who is better.

josh123

Smash Rookie
I think he is really good. I love Fludd and the cape is so godly. I think the best 2v2 team is Mario and Luigi, Mario tosses fools in the air and Luigi knocks them around. Mario can edge guard really well. I cant count how many times fludd has pushes characters out of reach of the edge and the cape is so good. I think everyone needs to stop comparing Mario and Luigi and let them both be good in their own ways.

???????

Smash Journeyman
This same discussion was in Melee with more or less the same points brought up; we simply don't know enough about the metagame at this point to make these kind of decisions yet.

*Mario doesn't have the recovery of Luigi or Pit but his recovery is far better than it was in Melee; basically if he has his double jump left he'll be able to recover*

*The cape's wavebounce is very good and somewhat makes up for his slow Fair (Even if you don't like the cape you can always RAR)*

*Mario has a very good projectile game; can spam but cannot be spammed against*

*Mario has been overall buffed but still lacks range in his tilts and grabs (Smash range is fine, except his Down smash can sometimes feel a little short)*

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
No. Mario is definitely worse in Brawl. With the lack of combo's and predictable aerials, Mario is below average. Im also pissed off that WARIO is better than Mario. Thats not fair... Of course, many of you here
will disagree and say Mario pwns Wario... Alas... Oh well, at least I explained how Luigi aerials overshadows Mario.

PS: Fludd again, is an amazing move. Just overlooked by noobs.

josh123

Smash Rookie
Mario just take more time to get good with. I wish luigi had a Fludd but a vacuum instead lol and sucked people towards him and if they moved away it would pull luigi closer that be funny.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
I think he is really good. I love Fludd and the cape is so godly. I think the best 2v2 team is Mario and Luigi, Mario tosses fools in the air and Luigi knocks them around. Mario can edge guard really well. I cant count how many times fludd has pushes characters out of reach of the edge and the cape is so good. I think everyone needs to stop comparing Mario and Luigi and let them both be good in their own ways.
I agree.

I am getting tired of Luigi fanboys, which in turn makes me want to play Mario more.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
IMO Luigi is better than Mario although I think the OP is just trolling and I have no clue what he's saying, but he's pretty sure he was wrong about half the crap he was saying.

TRu_Ch40s

Smash Rookie
why do people only post about how bad characters are instead of ways to improve gameplay or innovative strategies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario is quite a smash maniac if you asked me. Each of his smash attacks are pretty reliable, and he can combo with some of his moves. When edge-guarding, the f-air can send foes plummeting. F.L.U.D.D. is the only useless move that Mario has.

That's basically something that Wario tends to lack. Of the three smash attacks in his arsenal, only his f-smash is good, but even that lacks range, reducing its effectiveness. Plus, his only reliable killing move is the u-air and f-tilt. Very few aerials can KO, and the Wario Waft takes almost 2 minutes to charge up to full power.

Overall though, they're just average in my book, but I do think that Mario beats Wario in terms of attack execution time.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario is quite a smash maniac if you asked me. Each of his smash attacks are pretty reliable, and he can combo with some of his moves. When edge-guarding, the f-air can send foes plummeting. F.L.U.D.D. is the only useless move that Mario has.

That's basically something that Wario tends to lack. Of the three smash attacks in his arsenal, only his f-smash is good, but even that lacks range, reducing its effectiveness. Plus, his only reliable killing move is the u-air and f-tilt. Very few aerials can KO, and the Wario Waft takes almost 2 minutes to charge up to full power.

Overall though, they're just average in my book, but I do think that Mario beats Wario in terms of attack execution time.
FLUDD isn't useless at all. i find it useful for edgeguarding.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I completely agree besides havent you ever heard of the using the fludd in combonation with the cape (works very well because fludd basically destroys your opponents air jump).
i nevr use FLUDD without cape. anybody who thinks its useless doesn't know how to use it

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Uill9wgXQ4 for gods sake please watch that video,
and you to will be able to kill using FLUDD...if you spend as much time practicing with it than you do whining about it,seriously I started doing practicing today,just jump of stage to chase thrown opponent->cape second jump->recover->(make sure you have fludd charged)and fire when they try they're recovery for ultimate rejection :D oh man it feels so good,pisses the crap out my freinds

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I must say that at the beginning, I was a bit skeptical about the FLUDD and even went to a tournament and didn't use it once. I didn't win the tournament (didn't plan on it) but after reading through the FLUDD thread here over the past week, I feel that I would have done better if I had incorporated the FLUDD into my arsenal. I have practiced with it, and now I **** with it.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario is not low tier; there are simply too many positive qualities in his air and edge game to be placed in low tier (Middle tier perhaps, but not low tier).

*Many characters have actually have lost some of their luster since Melee (Mario is not one of them, despite speculation)*

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Mario was nerfed. He's combo flowed Oh so well (my first character I won a tournament) Brawl has barely any combo's, and Mario's left to pasture with his lack of, dare I say it, "The Move"

Every character has a "The Move" A certain move that sets them apart from other characters, that make them amazing.

And Luigi Aerials>>>Mario Aerials.
eck Mario FS sucks, but wha tdo I know, Im just a troll who has a Mario and Luigi avatar.

PS: I don't hate Mario, I just know he's not that good.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario's range is the only real issue and that only comes up in his tilts and grabs. What makes Mario stand out is being a very powerful edgeguarder (I don't mean for this to sound bias but he has a powerful air game, the cape, and the F.L.U.D.D. which combine to give him uniquely powerful edgeguarding abilities).

*Mario's wavebounced cape is a decently ranged disjointed hitbox and is very useful*

*Mario's smashes have decent killing power and decent range*

*Mario's cape is his "move"*

*What's causing all these negative Mario posts lately?*

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario was nerfed. He's combo flowed Oh so well (my first character I won a tournament) Brawl has barely any combo's, and Mario's left to pasture with his lack of, dare I say it, "The Move"

Every character has a "The Move" A certain move that sets them apart from other characters, that make them amazing.

And Luigi Aerials>>>Mario Aerials.
eck Mario FS sucks, but wha tdo I know, Im just a troll who has a Mario and Luigi avatar.

PS: I don't hate Mario, I just know he's not that good.
Luigi doesn't have a cape neither does he have Fludd. mario's arguably the best edgeguarder in the game. I know u dont hate him, but u need to face a good mario..

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord

I just have to disagree. I think that Mario actually has three "The Moves" (using your term) in Brawl: cape, F.L.U.D.D. and Fair.

*What's causing all these negative Mario posts lately?*
I´m wondering the very same thing. Maybe it´s the same thing that makes people complain about Brawl? (which I don´t understand either)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I´m wondering the very same thing. Maybe it´s the same thing that makes people complain about Brawl? (which I don´t understand either)

yeah, people need to move on. >_> Loose and let go of melee. the game is over 6 years old.

Zamato

Smash Rookie
Mario got sooo freckin nerfed. Flood is useless, no one uses it, and all his other moves are garbage. Way better in Melee and original.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Here's a more insightful look of some of the comparisons of Mario from Melee to Brawl:

Buffs:

*Fair is multipurpose with both the effects of a spike and horizontal knockback*

*Cape has more control over Mario's and his opponent’s momentum*

*Better juggler with his tilts and aerials*

*Fireballs have a bit more hitstun*

*Tornado has more priority and has more applicable uses as an offensive attack*

*Has F.L.U.D.D.; very good move despite speculation*

*Because of Brawl's physics Mario's recovery no longer much of an issue*

*Wavebouncing allows the cape to be used more as an offensive aerial*

*Forward smash has increased range (Stutter step) and is powerful even without being sweetspotted*

*Easier setups and more options of approach with fireballs, F.L.U.D.D., and RARs*

*Increased floatiness gives increased aerial mobility which also allows for an easier WoP*

*Slingshot effect with the cape (A.K.A. Cape Gliding) allows Mario to quickly and easily travel across platforms and get close to opponents far away off the ledge*

*Can jab lock*

Nerfs:

*Fair is a bit slower and more difficult to time, and without L-canceling is easier to punish (It can be auto-canceled but it’s still a bit slow)*

*Cape is not quite as foolproof due to the auto ledge grab feature*

*Juggling and chain grabbing isn't as effective in Brawl due to airdodging and decreased hitstun*

*Fireballs travel less distance*

*No longer can use a rising tornado*

*Smaller hitboxes below him*

*Without wavedashing it is harder to make up for Mario's poor tilt and grab range*

*Cape has less of a hitbox behind it*

*Forward smash is slower*

*Forward tilt is slightly shorter*

*Slower without L-canceling (Although there’s still auto-canceling) and wavedashing*

*No long can wall jump cancel his Up B*

*Aerials have trouble KOing (This is mostly due to the new Brawl physics, easier DI, and stale-move negation); relies on a good ground and edgeguard game to get his KOs*

Mario has been buffed overall (Or rather, most of his major weaknesses have been eliminated) but relies more on a good ground game which is tough due to his short ranged tilts and grabs. Mario is like many of the other combo orientated characters in the game, have a tougher time in Brawl mainly because Brawl’s physics demand for a balanced playstyle (A good ground and air game).

*F.L.U.D.D. is very good, don't hung up on the fact that it doesn't do damage; F.L.U.D.D. is good for spacing and edgeguarding (I use F.L.U.D.D. quite a bit more often than most people)*

*Mario may have his ups and downs but he is not nerfed*

*I played competitively with both Mario and Dr. Mario in Melee and I do understand where you're coming from but such remarks are simply invalid*

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I was a mario main in melee, and i must say he was buffed, dair is so much better, bair is good, dsmash is perfect, and the fludd though hard to master, gives a ton of edgeguarding options. Luigi is awesome, but mario is awesome for different reasons. He is different than his melee counterpart, but if played correctly is a nearly unstoppable. His cape is better (though i hate that falco/fox now grab the edge when they up b cause i used to be all about caping fox). I main many characters in brawl and mario is in my top three ( with G&W and Diddy). BTW: best team is mario/ddd, mario fludds while ddd charges up his f smash. They go right into it.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Mario got sooo freckin nerfed. Flood is useless, no one uses it, and all his other moves are garbage. Way better in Melee and original.
Obviously this statement is comming from a guy who doesn't know a thing about mario in terms of the smash world. Just because you don't know how to use him doesn't mean he sucks, as a matter of fact, I dare you to challenge me with anyone just to see if you still state the same dumb statements. WTF bro, support you facts...:urg:

Top Bottom