• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ledges huh? My best guess is if they hang there too long we could just ledgesteal into some form of trickery perhaps? That's all I can think of....

Also for the record I second the sentiments about Gust Cape being the savior.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think Mario has a reliable D-tilt in this game?
Yo, T25XL wanna get some matches going on 3DS?
I don't have the 3DS version, nor the 3DS itself becuz I figure the WiiU version of the game will be far superior. 3DS has hardware limitations (thus the exclusion of ICs), and offline isn't even technicaly offline, it's more of just the "in person" part because you still gotta play over wifi and there is still a chance for there to be lag/lag spikes. To me, it's sort of like the "trip" of smash 4, a badly timed lag spike could put a character/person in a bad spot where they didn't want to be. Anyways once the WiiU version is out, I'll buy it, but more than likely I'll get it for christmas.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Dair is so good in this game. You guys should do falling Dairs more. The hitstun from the last hit leads to grabs and jabs. I haven't tried it on smashes yet.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Dair is so good in this game. You guys should do falling Dairs more. The hitstun from the last hit leads to grabs and jabs.
This strategy is really nice, actually! Works really well on the larger characters especially, as expected.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dair is so good in this game. You guys should do falling Dairs more. The hitstun from the last hit leads to grabs and jabs. I haven't tried it on smashes yet.
In Brawl, you could legit combo into D-smash too. Unless they changed it drastically, I assume it should work similarly in this game as well.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I believe dsmash is a true combo from it depending on the character. I need to see if I can get a fsmash in there lol.

Another jank tidbit. Fsmash is actually a strong kill move, it's just a tad slow and lacks range.. and has to be sweetspotted. BUT. It's not THAT slow. When I read rolls I can hit fsmash and sometimes when I just throw it out I can hit them with it, killing them early.

Mario has to be unpredictable with his smashes for the most part.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I believe dsmash is a true combo from it depending on the character. I need to see if I can get a fsmash in there lol.

Another jank tidbit. Fsmash is actually a strong kill move, it's just a tad slow and lacks range.. and has to be sweetspotted. BUT. It's not THAT slow. When I read rolls I can hit fsmash and sometimes when I just throw it out I can hit them with it, killing them early.

Mario has to be unpredictable with his smashes for the most part.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think @ Fire! Fire! best demonstrates that in his videos currently. He's good at landing F-smash in clutch moments, and just being able to do that alone makes Mario a considerably more scary character.

Even though its range is a little short, this can be compensated for by its leanback, which allows you to bait other characters who believe they outrange you. If you do it right and manage to charge F-smash a little bit, like maybe 10 frames or so, you basically can kill at like 80-90%, not much unlike say, Ganon's F-smash.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Honestly, if we get our Stutter Step back, then we should have no problem KOing. Having anything that extends Mario's range would be huge in that we could properly punish out of shield. It would also help our ledge game considerably.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if we get our Stutter Step back, then we should have no problem KOing. Having anything that extends Mario's range would be huge in that we could properly punish out of shield. It would also help our ledge game considerably.
I have to agree, the main reason I don't go for many fsmashes is because i'm so used to stutter-stepping them. I feel like it's a lot less safe than usmash without it. But if we get our stutter back in Wii U, we're in business,

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ Iko-Seiko Iko-Seiko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsvZ9Hca8BM

Gonna give you a few mostly Brawl based tips for this match.

U-tilt is very good against Luigi as it beats all his aerials pretty consistently and is relatively easy to land due to his low horizontal aerial mobility. Consider 0:57, where you could U-tilt out of shield. That kind of thing is likely to come up very often against someone like Luigi.

Have you tried SH/FH D-air to pressure platforms? You can do this in Brawl, and unless they significantly changed the frames on D-air (I'm pretty sure you can SH D-air -> N-air shields?), this has less ending lag than U-air. This has the advantage of reliably punishing people who try to jump out of shield to escape platform pressure if you followup with double jump U-air.

Whenever you Jab someone that's in the air, this can usually be followed up by another move. Even though I've heard from other players about how Jab canceling is nerfed, it's still something you should keep in mind. Following up with a tilt, D-smash, or Up-B on someone suspended in the air is a relatively safe way to string extra hits.

Instead of teching, you should wiggle the control stick back and forth to get out of tumble. I'm pretty sure you can do this in every Smash game. EDIT: This seems to have been removed.

You also need slightly more grabs and F-tilt. D-tilt is also very good against Luigi too due to his poor landing options but you never implemented it. Other than that, this match was decently and intelligently played on your part.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I am fairly certain that Mario's FLUDD scales with rage. Even the weak one should be useful when Mario is at high percents.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
I don't have the 3DS version, nor the 3DS itself becuz I figure the WiiU version of the game will be far superior. 3DS has hardware limitations (thus the exclusion of ICs), and offline isn't even technicaly offline, it's more of just the "in person" part because you still gotta play over wifi and there is still a chance for there to be lag/lag spikes. To me, it's sort of like the "trip" of smash 4, a badly timed lag spike could put a character/person in a bad spot where they didn't want to be. Anyways once the WiiU version is out, I'll buy it, but more than likely I'll get it for christmas.
Ah, alright. Yeah those lag spikes could really hurt your game. it has happened to me so many times... I think it's my crappy internet... Well you are gonna get a Wii U and Smash 4 soon right?

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
I have to agree, the main reason I don't go for many fsmashes is because i'm so used to stutter-stepping them. I feel like it's a lot less safe than usmash without it. But if we get our stutter back in Wii U, we're in business,
I don't think stutter-stepping is back if I remember. I tried doing it on the 3DS and I was unable to pull it off. Maybe it's because I don't have a C-Stick? I doubt it since Mario should stutter-step even when facing the opposite direction without the C-Stick.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Ah, alright. Yeah those lag spikes could really hurt your game. it has happened to me so many times... I think it's my crappy internet... Well you are gonna get a Wii U and Smash 4 soon right?
yup, if not christmas, then my birthday. Currently my family is going through financial issues, so I can't get it on release

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Do you guys think Mario has a reliable D-tilt in this game?
It's the best iteration thus far in the series. D-Throw > U-tilt > D-tilt > Grab @0% is legit on a few characters.

Does anyone know if we have any moves that reach below the ledge similar to Little Mac's Down Smash? I've been trying with down angled Forward Smash, but got nothing...
Dash Attack seems to reach below the ledge from what I've experienced.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
It's the best iteration thus far in the series. D-Throw > U-tilt > D-tilt > Grab @0% is legit on a few characters.
Yeah, I figured since Brawl Mario's d-tilt had little to no use due to characters being able to act out of hitstun (and the notorious lag it had.)
Yeah, I figured since Brawl Mario's D-tilt had little to no use due to opponents being able to act out of hitstun (and the notorious lag it came with it)

yup, if not christmas, then my birthday. Currently my family is going through financial issues, so I can't get it on release
Ah that sucks. Hopefully everything turns out all right! I'll be waiting for those matches though!

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, I figured since Brawl Mario's D-tilt had little to no use due to opponents being able to act out of hitstun (and the notorious lag it came with it)
I dunno, tell that to @Flameleon .

Mario's D-tilt had its uses as a KO setup at the 100-120% range where it put people in a really bad position where you could either juggle them or mindgame them into a Smash.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm really starting to like his customs. Even Scalding F.L.U.D.D., which I use to punish rolls/get hard reads with.

Have yet to get either Cape one, which is a shame.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
So um...have all the disgruntled Little Mac players moved onto Mario or something?

Not putting the character or anyone who uses him mainly down or anything, it's just all of a sudden today I've fought a hugely disproportionate amount of Marios compared to everyone else, and I've been noticing the past couple of days that I've been coming across a slowly increasing amount of Marios in FG lately. And 8 out of 10 of them do the saaaame thing.

Stand at the edge of the stage, spam fireballs while jumping up and down, and either roll backwards after dashing constantly to try to wig me out or something, or attempt to roll behind me to grab so they can do that basic utilt combo, and it rarely deviates from that pattern.

I've fought good Marios before so I know he can do more than that. lol Has the flowchart army found a new host after their previous host got thrown off the stage one too many times or something?

BSP

Smash Legend
If charging FLUDD isn't the first thing they do, you probably have a good chance of taking them out no problem.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Think of it this way, if they take Mario's win rate online overall down a peg, he might get buffs in the future! (Kidding, kidding).

But really, I haven't seen a ton of Marios but the For Glory sea is gigantic.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Think of it this way, if they take Mario's win rate online overall down a peg, he might get buffs in the future! (Kidding, kidding).

But really, I haven't seen a ton of Marios but the For Glory sea is gigantic.
Little Mac's winrate was awful, and he actually got nerfed (very slight recovery nerf).

What we REALLY should do is communicate about what we believe our characters need to be uniquely effective, and consider tweeting to Sakurai about it.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Well, you know, I imagine Ganon's was too (couldn't have been that much higher) and he got some nice little buffs. I'd like Mario to get that treatment, and with the Ike changes they've done, I could see it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
As long as Mario is always considered the "average, balanced" character, it probably won't happen. Much to my dismay.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Well, I can easily FSmash out of the initial Dash frames with the C-Stick, and FSmash's range has been improved, so this is probably a reasonable go to. It works with Doc but I see Mario getting more out of it.

Also abuse the **** out of pivot FSmash, it's as lenient as pivot tilting and it is such a good option.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm going to at least move him to secondary status. :4pacman: has a lot more potential imo.

and I won't die for getting hit out of my double jump

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Yeah Mario isn't an amazing character, and he shouldn't be. But he doesn't suck like he did in Melee and Brawl at least.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I dunno. I want Mario to be amazing. Maybe it's just seeing him in Project: M, but I think Mario deserves to be top tier at least once in his life. I wish Sakurai would look at Mario and just get creative with him for once.

Now I'm not saying his Cape should teleport people out of existence, or he should be spamming Matsu Hadokens, but making people look at Mario and think "****, this Mario can wreck me" would make me giddy all over.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah Mario isn't an amazing character, and he shouldn't be. But he doesn't suck like he did in Melee and Brawl at least.
He didn't really suck in Melee, he was just overshadowed by Doc
for having better tools against space animals.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
He still has a very hard time fighting spaces though. Doc isn't really ideal for fighting spaces either. I mean, Shroomed doesn't even use Doc as much as he used to.

Even Luigi and pikachu have better tools than Mario in fighting Melee's elite. Heck I might even throw in Ganon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He still has a very hard time fighting spaces though. Doc isn't really ideal for fighting spaces either. I mean, Shroomed doesn't even use Doc as much as he used to.

Even Luigi and pikachu have better tools than Mario in fighting Melee's elite. Heck I might even throw in Ganon.
Mario has a better chance against Sheik and Peach than those two at least. Against Sheik, chaingrabs her halfway to death and gets guaranteed F-smash out of D-throw no matter which way she DIs. F-smash and U-tilt saves Mario against Peach if you're willing to play a long game.

Honestly, Mario is kinda broken in Melee if you ask me. Ignore that the top 5, Samus, and Ganondorf troll him. He invalidates some characters kinda unfairly hard with his D-throw and F-smash. If the spacies didn't exist, nobody would argue Doc is better than Mario.

Also Mario craps on Pikachu, Luigi, and Doc. Mario just fishes for D-throw against Pikachu and wins once he gets it. Against Luigi you just throw grounded fireballs, throw him upwards, and U-tilt until you're bored. Against Doc you F-smash all day, throw him upwards if he gets close, U-tilt til bored, and B-air gimp him. As I said, Mario is honestly a kinda broken character. A lot of characters can't outspace his F-smash which is also safe on block, his U-tilt juggle is braindead against characters that can't outdisjoint it, his D-throw is just plain dumb, and he also gimps people very easily with ledgedrop aerials.

The Ice Climbers are probably imo the funniest matchup Mario has. One of the best Mario players, Boss, is TERRIBLE at that matchup even though it's so braindead easy for Mario because you only just need to B-throw and F-smash and they can't touch Mario.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Idk if that's true if it is but that's just Melee's bad balancing in general lol. Half the cast in the lower part of the tier list can't fight the upper tiers anyway. The engine doesn't suit them to compete. They're not tourney viable characters.

What does matter is that Mario can't fight the top tier characters as well as the other high tier characters. Since they're so common, that's kinda all that matters. So why use him if you have to struggle so much to fight Fox, Sheik, Falco, and Marth?

Well unless you're a masochist who's dedicated to Mario like most of us here.

Top Bottom