• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario FLUDD recovery/mindgame possibilites

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Do you guys know that Mario's FLUDD is a great way to recover long distance (despite being situational)? The fact that the FLUDD pushes Mario back can lead to new techniques or an improvement in his metagame. If this is already known, then sorry for wasting your guys time.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sarcasms aside, this has been known ever since Brawl first came out I think. It's not used at all though, because it leaves Mario very vulnerable to attacks.

Matt07

Smash Master
I think I might use it too push the edguarder back like Matador was saying before, it leaves you less vunerable because FLUDD will halt them. If you use it too push you towards the stage your wide open for attacks.

But again, you will need your double jump.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, definitely use FLUDD for Anti-Edgeguard. Works nearly every time. Using it for recovery though (as suggested by the OP) is a very bad call. If it pushed back Mario faster without the extra vertical drop, it would be doable.

BSP

Smash Legend
I really don't think that using fludd to push yourself toward the stage actually does anything significant. You're better off using it on the opponent to prevent edgegaurds like the others said.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I really don't think that using fludd to push yourself toward the stage actually does anything significant. You're better off using it on the opponent to prevent edgegaurds like the others said.
This is a common point between you guys and I agree completely that FLUDD is a great edgeguard tool. Though I have some idea to debate upon.

In regards to the double-jump:

Maybe with good DI on Yoshi's or Battlefield the double jump could be saved and replaced by a wall-jump.

Cape -> FLUDD toward just beneath ledge -> Walljump -> Cape (optional) -> Up-B

or even at mid %s?

Other Stuff
More rational:
-FLUDD past edgeguarder onto other side of the stage or edge?

More farfetched:
-FLUDD across the stage, grabbing the opposite ledge.
-FLUDD to possible cape glide?

Other that that, I'd say that since you can use attack after the duration of the FLUDD, it can be more useful OOS like say... (Warning: Theories ahead!)

FLUDD more downwards toward the stage -> Dair -> Follow-up

Then there's on stage capabilites; however, they are more risky even as theories:

Prevent approach. Can be used in junction with...
SH-FLUDD as evasive maneuver.
SH-FLUDD towards as (possible) mindgame?

Before I let this go, I hope you guys could discuss this.

NNID
LilG912
Do you guys know that Mario's FLUDD is a great way to recover long distance (despite being situational)? The fact that the FLUDD pushes Mario back can lead to new techniques or an improvement in his metagame. If this is already known, then sorry for wasting your guys time.
Uhh... yeah, we been knew that, we're the Marios, we know that already. lolol

UberMario

Smash Master
I've tried, but most of the time I've done it I lost more vertical ground than I had gained in horizontal ground. It's definitely useful in screwing up your opponents predicitions when they try to attack from below, though.

In regards to the double-jump:

Maybe with good DI on Yoshi's or Battlefield the double jump could be saved and replaced by a wall-jump.
Wouldn't that make it a little easy to get gimped? The aggressor doesn't have much to lose if you're next to the edge in order to wall-jump.

Cape -> FLUDD toward just beneath ledge -> Walljump -> Cape (optional) -> Up-B

or even at mid %s?
I think it would be too predicatble, but if the scenario doesn't occur that much, then I guess that could work.

Other Stuff
More rational:
-FLUDD past edgeguarder onto other side of the stage or edge?
Halfway is pushing it, especially if you were in a position where the opponent reacted by edgeguarding.

More farfetched:
-FLUDD across the stage, grabbing the opposite ledge.
Running is faster, unless the other person was nearby and was caught in the splash, which would could work as a mind game.

-FLUDD to possible cape glide?
If you were going to gimp someone out of a cape glide, then you should just run before gliding, plus the FLUDD could be saved as an off-stage gimp if need be.

Other that that, I'd say that since you can use attack after the duration of the FLUDD, it can be more useful OOS like say... (Warning: Theories ahead!)

FLUDD more downwards toward the stage -> Dair -> Follow-up
What? I don't understand how this combo would work.

Then there's on stage capabilites; however, they are more risky even as theories:

Prevent approach. Can be used in junction with...
SH-FLUDD as evasive maneuver.
Probably the most plausible use here.

SH-FLUDD towards as (possible) mindgame?
Maybe, though it sounds like a waste of a charging.

Top Bottom