• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Changelog V 1.10

M@v

Subarashii!
Post any changes you see to Mario here. If you are not 100% sure on it, PLEASE NOTE SO. Please be mindful of Placebo effects. Also ask for other people to try things out too if you are not sure of a change. I'll update the OP as we go throughout the night/tomorrow.

I'll be testing things soon once I get home.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario received absolutely no changes. What a surprise, I can hardly contain my shock.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't if we should be relieved or disappointed...
A little bit of both. They're slowly but surely nerfing Sheik down bit by bit, which is relieving us of our worst matchup. But I do wish Sakurai-senpai would notice us and at least throw us a buff or two.

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
A little bit of both. They're slowly but surely nerfing Sheik down bit by bit, which isn't relieving us of our worst matchup. But I do wish Sakurai-senpai would notice us and at least throw us a buff or two.
And what would you have him buff? To me Mario is the most balanced charachter in the game. He's got great strenghths and not too many weaknesses. Definitely already a top tier.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And what would you have him buff? To me Mario is the most balanced charachter in the game. He's got great strenghths and not too many weaknesses. Definitely already a top tier.
He's not a top tier. High tier, definitely, but but by no exaggeration top tier. As for what I would buff, his down smash that got completely ****ed over from Brawl to 4, and maybe a damage buff to his neutral air. I would also appreciate if Jumpman could recover a little bit better.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
He's not a top tier. High tier, definitely, but but by no exaggeration top tier. As for what I would buff, his down smash that got completely ****ed over from Brawl to 4, and maybe a damage buff to his neutral air. I would also appreciate if Jumpman could recover a little bit better.
I happen to disagree with you then I guess. I believe Mario has good matchups on nearly the entire cast. The hardest matchup for him is sheik and Rosaluma, but then again those two are the two best charachters in the game in my opinion and they are a ***** to fight as anyone. As for your proposed changes, yah those seem within reason. I'm all for mario buffs he is one of my secondaries after all :)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I happen to disagree with you then I guess. I believe Mario has good matchups on nearly the entire cast. The hardest matchup for him is sheik and Rosaluma, but then again those two are the two best charachters in the game in my opinion and they are a ***** to fight as anyone. As for your proposed changes, yah those seem within reason. I'm all for mario buffs he is one of my secondaries after all :)
Not really. Lucario actually does favorable against Sheik and Rosalina had some bad ones here and there. The reason Mario isn't top tier is because he either doesn't win or is even with all the undisputed top tiers. The only top he actually wins against is Luigi and some would argue Pikachu.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Mario is too average to be bad, but too average to be at the top.
His averageness is a positive not a negative. Players who do well with him rely only on their own skill as a player, not on gimmicks and cheap moves. He's also very easy to pick up and learn but hard to master. His averageness makes him unique among this cast.

Luig

Confused
Yes what I meant is he has good matchups against almost every character, and can take on almost any situation. What I meant is that he will never be at the top though, due to him not really excelling in one area.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yes what I meant is he has good matchups against almost every character, and can take on almost any situation. What I meant is that he will never be at the top though, due to him not really excelling in one area.
Sakurai seems to be intent on whacking the top tiers with the nerf hammer. If this keeps going, old Big Red just might find himself at the top of the class.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Not really. Lucario actually does favorable against Sheik and Rosalina had some bad ones here and there. The reason Mario isn't top tier is because he either doesn't win or is even with all the undisputed top tiers. The only top he actually wins against is Luigi and some would argue Pikachu.
Luigi actually BEATS Mario. Better trades, better edgeguards, better kill setups, better projectile, etc.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi actually BEATS Mario. Better trades, better edgeguards, better kill setups, better projectile, etc.
It would seem that way, but Luigi's Fireball is rendered mute against Mario, Mario himself edgeguards Luigi rather easily, he has an easier time KOing, and Luigi has a tough time dealing with Mario's rain of Fireballs. Mario also doesn't fall victim to The Down Throw of the Gods, due to him being slippery and mainly approaching from the air. There's also the fact that none of his moves fall below frame 6, with the exception of The Kobe and his forward smash, only making it harder for Luigi to combo him to kingdom come.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
It would seem that way, but Luigi's Fireball is rendered mute against Mario, Mario himself edgeguards Luigi rather easily, he has an easier time KOing, and Luigi has a tough time dealing with Mario's rain of Fireballs. Mario also doesn't fall victim to The Down Throw of the Gods, due to him being slippery and mainly approaching from the air. There's also the fact that none of his moves fall below frame 6, with the exception of The Kobe and his forward smash, only making it harder for Luigi to combo him to kingdom come.
We don't spam Fireballs in this fight. We shield them. It's slow enough to time your shields.

Luigi has an easier time KOing here because of kill setups.

Your approaches from the air are all eaten by the U-smash.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
We don't spam Fireballs in this fight. We shield them. It's slow enough to time your shields.

Luigi has an easier time KOing here because of kill setups.

Your approaches from the air are all eaten by the U-smash.
Yours are still all-around less effective than ours.
True, Luigi has better kill setups. Most of which, however, come from grabs, which for reasons already explained, aren't very effective on Mario. What Mario lacks in setups, he has in brute force (forward and up smash) and edgeguarding (Cape, F.L.U.D.D., and all aerials).

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Not surprised by the lack of any changes. I prefer that honestly.
At least when patches happen this boards come back to life, even if shortly, so that's a plus :p

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Actually I am surprised, along with Samus, Mario is like the only character who never receives changes... O well he is always dodging nerfs unlike other high tiers!! XD

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
So he's completely unchanged as usual? I wonder when we'll eat nerfhammer, if ever. I know Sheik's fair got nerfed, and there doesn't seem to be that many other nerfs... Any ideas on potential new dangerous matchups?

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
There MIGHT be one change I heard rumours about; his dash attack no longer spikes anyone hanging off the ledge. Can anyone comfirm that?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
is anyone able to get the 7% hit off of his down tilt? I could easily just have been messing up earlier when i tried,but i figure others testing would clear it up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's already extremely good and only has like 2 bad match ups, imo.
Disagree, I think people need to learn the matchup personally, especially with buffed sword characters. And as long as his Dair doesn't combo properly, he can't really kill anyone for platform camping.

I would however argue he is the strongest character in customs, where all his weaknesses effectively vanish.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So he's completely unchanged as usual? I wonder when we'll eat nerfhammer, if ever. I know Sheik's fair got nerfed, and there doesn't seem to be that many other nerfs... Any ideas on potential new dangerous matchups?
I doubt we'll ever get hit by it, considering nothing we have is particularly overpowering or complained about. The only possible nerf I could see is maybe a lag increase on up smash, and even that's unlikely, seeing as how Sakurai doesn't know Mario's still in the game. I guess for the time being, being indirectly buffed through the nerfing of others is how we're going stay alive, i.e. Sheik and Fox. Not that Fox was ever a problem to begin with, but much less so now.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Mario is top 15 Imo. What do you all think is so bad about him? He has a frame 3 nair, projectile, reflector, fast and safe smashes, 20-80% combos, good mobility. The only thing he lacks is range but with a solid Bair that can be spaced and all the qualities of a rush down character he is VERY good. Not to mention, Sakurai thinks Mario's the most balanced character in the game, so there will be very little changes to him if they ever come around. We should be happy while other people are skeptical as hell with their character changes from balance patches.

The only buff I can think of is make it so frame 3 nairs don't come out before the final hit of a grounded nair. That's more of a bug fix though, imo.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario is top 15 Imo. What do you all think is so bad about him? He has a frame 3 nair, projectile, reflector, fast and safe smashes, 20-80% combos, good mobility. The only thing he lacks is range but with a solid Bair that can be spaced and all the qualities of a rush down character he is VERY good. Not to mention, Sakurai thinks Mario's the most balanced character in the game, so there will be very little changes to him if they ever come around. We should be happy while other people are skeptical as hell with their character changes from balance patches.

The only buff I can think of is make it so frame 3 nairs don't come out before the final hit of a grounded nair. That's more of a bug fix though, imo.
Who called him bad? He's definitely top 15, just not top tier. There are a few things wrong with him, again, like his poor down smash, but nobody denied that Mario is an amazing character and is definitely worthy of his current high tier status.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Who called him bad? He's definitely top 15, just not top tier. There are a few things wrong with him, again, like his poor down smash, but nobody denied that Mario is an amazing character and is definitely worthy of his current high tier status.
If his Dair safely links in to his Dsmash and it's his fastest smash attack it is hardly Poor. There are worse Smash attacks out their like Sonic's Dsmash.

Luig

Confused
Having the sweetspot on the back makes it very impractical for most ko's, and since I main both Mario and Sonic, I can say one advantage Sonic's has over Mario's is that
A. It hits both sides a once
B. It semi-spikes
C.It hits farther below.
Mario's advantages are:
A.More powerful from both sides
B. Faster
C.Less end lag.

In short, both of their down smashes are basically their worst smash attacks.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If his Dair safely links in to his Dsmash and it's his fastest smash attack it is hardly Poor. There are worse Smash attacks out their like Sonic's Dsmash.
That's not what I meant by poor. I mean it got nerfed to **** from Brawl. It does significantly less damage, it barely kills with Rage, and it's just all-around a worse move and is probably his worst smash attack. Sonic's down smash isn't even that bad. Better than it was in Brawl, somewhat ironically.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
Not necessarily, its just the sweetspot is on the back now.
Front basically never kills.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Ironically, because Mario's d-smash is so fast it's hard to punish certain rolls with it. When they roll behind you, the back hit comes out before the roll animation ends.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ironically, because Mario's d-smash is so fast it's hard to punish certain rolls with it. When they roll behind you, the back hit comes out before the roll animation ends.
Yeah, sometimes it does happens, so a good reading is required.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Not necessarily, its just the sweetspot is on the back now.
Front basically never kills.
For every buff Mario gets, Dr. Mario deserves three. Don't buff Mario before they improve the Doc in any way at all, please

Last edited:

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
I really wish Mario had Dr's USmash...The blatant whiffing Mario's USmash is capable of pulling off is just absurd.
I also wish they fix Mario's DAir, it really should not be escapable--much less punishable--in between hits.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
For every buff Mario gets, Dr. Mario deserves three. Don't buff Mario before they improve the Doc in any way at all, please
Really, at this point, Doc really can't be buffer much more without being unique. If they improved his strength, he would do too much damage. If they improved his recovery, It would basically be Marios plus a shoryuken. If they improved his Frane data, he wouldn't fit as a heavy (Well, C. Falcon is an exception)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Really, at this point, Doc really can't be buffer much more without being unique. If they improved his strength, he would do too much damage. If they improved his recovery, It would basically be Marios plus a shoryuken. If they improved his Frane data, he wouldn't fit as a heavy (Well, C. Falcon is an exception)
Doc's attacks only do 1.12x the damage Mario's do. If anything, buffing his damage would make him more unique. Improving his recovery is the first step to making him better, and there's no reason to improve his frame data, since it's already excellent. Uniqueness isn't a problem, making him better is. Also, Doc weighs the same as Mario, he's not a heavy.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Doc's attacks only do 1.12x the damage Mario's do. If anything, buffing his damage would make him more unique. Improving his recovery is the first step to making him better, and there's no reason to improve his frame data, since it's already excellent. Uniqueness isn't a problem, making him better is. Also, Doc weighs the same as Mario, he's not a heavy.
your right he isn't a heavy, but in my mind so treat him as one because bad recoveries and stronger attackes make me think of it

Top Bottom