• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 64 0 star TAS

iMichael

Smash Lord
That's nice, you can also beat the game with 15 stars. This is crazy lol props to this man.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The bypass of dire dire docks was the thing that impressed me the most.
I know. Apparently, it is possible to abuse high speed to teleport past the portal. They also took a very interesting route to navigate the castle. The whole movie is quite new and improved overall everywhere.

Now the only thing I didn't quite catch was how they pause+quit warped out of Dire Dire Docks. I believe that is also a glitch, since as I recall, you cannot normally quit a level from the water.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol. this is pretty cool, but I heard he just abuses that glitch made using the emulator, would be cooler on a system...
Hence, why it is called a TOOL ASSISTED SPEEDRUN. I'm not hiding from you the fact that this was performed by slowing down the game and recording the input sequence with a specialized emulator.

Regular speedruns are limited by human error. When we eliminate the need for skill to give specific input to a game, we can explore it in many unimaginable ways and make very interesting outcomes due to oversights that are almost always present in any video game with decent depth. TASes emphasize sheer knowledge, tactics, and the patience to want to achieve total perfection, where as physical limitations may sometimes have to compromise for easier routes which take a little longer to complete. A good TAS in my opinion is in many ways a lot more challenging to create than a decent console speedrun, and has many more possibilities, hence why I personally prefer TASes.

Top Bottom