• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mardi Gras + New Orleans = Tournament...maybe?

-Ran

Smash Master
I have a dream.

A major Louisiana Brawl/Melee tournament to take place in New Orleans the weekend before Mardi Gras. I honestly believe that it would be the most epic thing in the universe since aside from being a tournament, people would come to La that wouldn't normally do so for the chance to catch the parades. The date range would be around February 12, 13, 14. I'm honestly going to attempt to find a venue for this. I've been told that the acceptable venue fee now for a large epic tournament is ten to twenty bucks. This would give me around 1,000~2,000 dollars to play around with if we receive 100 entrants in order to find us an acceptable venue.

I'd also probably invite other tournament groups to come, such as the SF4 people. They'd be able to run their own tournament, etc. This would add more heads to the venue fee count, which would ultimately allow us to have a better experience. From what I've seen, most tournaments that are large in scale run Saturday/Sunday, so that people have a chance to get there from school/work. This would give early comers a chance to sample a parade or something before if they come early Friday.

So it'd be something like:
Venue - 10 ~ 20 pending what I can get.
Singles - 20.
Teams - 15 for each player.
Spectator fee - 5 dollars. [Basically they wouldn't pay the venue fee.]

I'm feeling 20 bucks for Singles will enlarge the pot a nice size while not being a deciding factor in someone not entering. 20 dollars would give more split room at the top. If 100 people come, that's an extra 1000 dollars in the pot. This is the scheme that Genesis ran, but they were doing a 20 dollar venue fee. Genesis ran three days though. My goal would be to attempt to find a Venue flexible enough to allow it to be done in two.

So let's say we have 100 people come. Singles would have a 2000 pot.
Split
1st=55% = 1100
2nd=25% = 500
3rd=10% = 200
4th=5% = 100
5th(x2)=2.5% = 50

Which would be a pretty amazing amount of money.

Now here's the thing, I need to know if this is worth going for before I start wasting hours upon hours of hunting down a venue and talking down people to an acceptable fee. Ideally, I'd get the venue for Friday/Sat/Sun. Friday would basically be a massive friendly night, a get together, etc. Maybe even some crew action. Then Saturday and Sunday would be the real deal, this would give people plenty of time to get here.

So yea, I have no doubt in my mind really that 100 people minimum will show up for Melee/Brawl. I also believe that I the SF4 community could get about 50 people to come from around the South. And of course, I'll put the word out [if the venue is of a good size] to anyone other community that wants to host a tournament at the same time.

I know for this tournament to become super amazing I'd have to have everything set in stone by no less than the end of October. This would allow everyone to have ample time to plan to get here, and to get the best rates on tickets for a flight.

Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts? Even just writing that you're interested in coming would be a great help in motivating me. =D

Driving Distance estimates:

Red = 9-10 hours.
Green = 5-6 hours.
Blue = 2-3 hours.

-Ran

Smash Master
We're coming out of the recession. Gas prices are super low as well, so people can save money easily on getting here. They'd basically have three to four months to get the funds necessary to come. The big tournament travelers would have plenty of time to win monthly tournaments to justify coming. The key to keep the expenses down would be to have ample amount of housing on our end.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Actually this is a very good idea Ran, and I don't know how far New Orleans is but we live faaaaaaaaar as heck.

Of course, you have the RGV's support and if we can get enough numbers we may just caravan.

I'll let Lousiana know (aka my lover Hyro) for sure.

-Ran

Smash Master
Brownsville to New Orleans is 12 hours according to Google. If only you guys could cut through the Gulf to save time. xD

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
first thing I thought of when I saw this was N-ew O-rleans O-fficial B-rawl Tournament = NOOB tournament. Dont ask me why my brain thought of the acronym... I suppose Im just weird

bad jokes aside

cool idea, though my parents prolly wouldn't let me go since mardi-gras is prolly a madhouse there (never actually been there for it but I heard it gets crowded)

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
All those fees are too high imo
ya IU just noticed that, you would think that people who will actaully compete would pay less of a venue than spectators since the singles and doubles are pretty hefty on the wllet compared to most tournies

'V'

Smash Lord
Considering that even most people living in Louisiana (where this could take place) wouldn't wanna pay that amount of money, and also given it's previous LasT attendance records, I doubt it'll get THAT many people.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Its a good idea. I would love to go to that, but I agree with the high venue fees. That would probably stop me from going. If you're aiming at top ranked players to come for the high venue fee, then good. But people ranked like me won't want to spend that kind of money.

Its $45 to enter both events. ($55 if you make the venue fee $20)

That's way too much.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Honestly, louisiana has always had crazy low tournament entry fees. Gigabits in orlando is $15 for singles and either $25 or $30 for teams, and most other local tournaments outside of this state have been similar. Larger tournaments regularly cost $50+ (Pound 4 is costing $35/$45 for singles and doubles respectively, ROM2 is a $20 venue fee + $10$10, genesis was the same, etc).

These aren't high entry fees, they're normal ones. People around here are just used to far lower than average entries.

Oh, and I'm totally down for this, and I encourage you to keep the higher costs so we can get some awesome players over here. Let's make this thing legit. I'm also probably down to help out with the organization of this thing, assuming school isn't kicking my *** or something.

I can also pimp this to the fl melee scene if this gets big enough. Given a decent projected turnout I can pretty easily see orlando (meaning hungrybox, colbol, etc) caravaning over here, and that's sure to generate some hype.

'V'

Smash Lord
I think $15 would be more reasonable. Not even some good players would wanna pay that amount of money. LasT gets enough people just from $10 entry and good people still come. And do you have a venue big enough? And a spectator fee? I wouldn't even come watch if I had to pay to watch.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I never understood why great players require a higher entry fee
If you're too poor to pay for such a small entry fee, you shouldn't be going to tourneys at all. 15-20 isn't much at all for singles, at all.

Its not that great players require a higher entry fee, but after going through such tough competition because of those great players, surely you'll want a solid form of compensation, and not some small janky sum of prize.

Pritch

Smash Lord
More accurately, a higher entry fee means a bigger pot, which means that the m2k's, mangoes, and etc have more incentive to travel hundreds/thousands of miles to compete.

And seriously guys. Assuming that this grows to Pound/FC/X large tournament size, the vast majority of people coming to it are gonna be forking up cash for PLANE TICKETS or other forms of long-distance transportation, possibly a hotel room, etc. And you're complaining about spending $40-50 (assuming you enter all events) for entry/venue?

Big tournaments, like most things, become big by spending more money on them (in this case on pot size and quality venue). That's just a fact of life.

EDIT: Ran, one important thing to consider though is that if you're going to run this during mardi gras (which I think you should, it sounds like a sweet idea in general) you're going to have to put extra priority on finding some form of affordable housing, since the hotels are going to be mad booked because of the season. That cost could realistically drive people away, much more than any venue fee or the like.

-Ran

Smash Master
Yea Pritch, I realize that Mardi Gras could be a double edge sword. There could be the other side of it of doing it the week after Mardi Gras, this would mean that every hotel is going to be wide open in spots. Or do it a week before the end of Mardi Gras to avoid an issue like that while still providing a level of parades for people to go to if they want to.

In regards to the entry fee. It only looks high because Louisiana is spoiled, as others have said. There's a big difference between a monthly tournament and an attempt at creating a REGIONAL once in a year tournament. Tournaments that attract the big names all have higher fees, and that's because the pots become larger because of it. For HOBO to attract M2k and Azen they had to increase the fee for the month that they were coming. 50 bucks for a tournament isn't much when you consider that it's in your state for a major one compared to having to travel to Houston.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
oh wow. the irony. I can't get Magik to come to a single tourny in BR which is closer than NO and it looks likke he's gonna go >>

Top Bottom