• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [March 20th, 2016] FROM THE ASHES VI: A Project M Tournament! (Orlando, FL.)

Corby

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm happy to announce FROM THE ASHES VI: A Project M Tournament! Come show ya moves at our 6TH major Project M Tournament, where the event will feature Project M 3.6 Singles, as well as an All-Star Mode Side Event! Invite your friends and come out for another great tournament. Lets make this the biggest one yet!

Some Background Info:
For those of you who don’t know me, I go by Corby in the Smash community. I’ve been hosting weekly smash meet-ups for the past year or so in the UCF/Orlando area, and have a Facebook group page for those who typically attend the smashfests (https://www.facebook.com/groups/CorbySmash/). I’ve hosted Project M since the first official meet-up, and have done miniature tournaments at my smashfests occasionally along the way. My TO partner is ObdurateMARio (aka Omar), and we feel Project M hasn’t received enough tournament love in the recent past since major tournament organizers and streamers hopped on the legality-issues bandwagon (understandably) which arose in the recent past. We hope to rejuvenate the Project M tournament scene in the UCF/Orlando area and strengthen the P:M community as a whole, while bringing quality tournaments to all those interested in attending.

Tournament Schedule:
Venue opens at 1:00pm.

Project M:
Registration for Project M Singles Opens - 1:30 pm
Registration for Project M Singles Closes - 2:45 pm
Singles Project M Tournament Starts - 3:00 pm
Registration for Project M All-Star Opens - 1:30 pm
Registration for Project M All-Star Closes - 5:30 pm

VENUE: The venue has changed! But it's only a few hundred yards away. It's at Campus Cards & Games. Address:
12226 Corporate Blvd, Ste 130, Orlando, Florida 32817

Tournament Info:
-The game is Project M 3.6
-4 Stock Matches
-Double Elimination
-$5 Tournament Entry Fee per person per game ($3 for All-Star Tournament)
-$5 "Door" Fee
-Pot Split Payout: 60% / 30% / 10%

-Sets are best of 3
- Semifinals and Finals are best of 5
-Please bring your own controller!
-Items must be set to “Off” and “None”
-Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser
-Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter
- Players who are 5 minutes late for their set will receive a match loss. Players who are more than 10 minutes late will be given a set loss.
- In the event of a match going to time or sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Number of stocks remaining
b. If the number of stocks is the same, the player with less percent will be the winner.
c. If the match ends with both players losing their stock at the same time or if time runs out with both players on the same stock with the same percent, a one stock two minute game will be played on the same stage with the same characters.
d. In the event of going to Sudden Death because of a suicide kill move (such as Kirby’s inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.
-In the event that the game crashes or the TV-Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters/stage.
-No excessive stalling
-Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset
-If needed, controller port may be decided via Rock Paper Scissors
-Giga Bowser, Warioman = Banned

-All-Star Mode Ruleset:
-Character selection first round will be double blind pick. This means both players tell a neutral person (or TO) their character picks before choosing characters (to avoid direct character counterpicking). The order each player names their character to the neutral party must follow the order they choose their characters.
-After the initial round, each player may switch up to 3 characters and the order of those characters. Winner of the previous round must change characters/order first, followed by the loser of the previous round.
-Character slot "random" may be used as a free 4th character switch
-No repeat characters in one game (i.e. you may use the same character in 2 games, but can only use them once per match)
-Stage list, stage striking and stage counterpicking will follow standard tournament rules.
-Counterpick stage will be chosen prior to counterpick character selection

Project M 3.6 Stage List (No Alt. Stages):
Starters:
-Delfino Secret
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Battlefield
-Fountain of Dreams
Counterpicks:
-Green Hill Zone
-WarioWare
-Final Destination
-Dreamland

-Stage Striking will be 1-2-1
-1st match stage will be chosen from Starter Stages (first pick determined from rock-paper-scissors)
-2nd and 3rd match stages will be from Starters and Counterpicks
-The winner of the previous match bans 2 stages
-Players may not choose a stage they already won on unless mutually agreed to
-The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

The tournament will be streamed via Hitbox: http://www.hitbox.tv/taerknet/

Check out https://www.facebook.com/events/209041979444781/ for more information!

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Very interesting indeed! Haven't bothered to look back into PM for a while...

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Some more questions and a request.

How many stage bans do we get?

Do I have to go up stairs to get in the venue? (Have a giant tv which would make that hard.)

Do we get discounts or payments if we bring a full setup?

Are custom builds legal?

Are custom stage textures for the tourney stages legal?

What happens if Pm 3.6 releases day of tourney?

The request

I am able to bring twos tvs to this but only one Wii. Anyone willing to bring their Wii?

@ Corby Corby
I would like it if you tell people about my tv so that they will bring their Wii. Please and Thanks.

Last edited:

Corby

Smash Cadet
Some more questions and a request.
How many stage bans do we get?
Do I have to go up stairs to get in the venue? (Have a giant tv which would make that hard.)
Do we get discounts or payments if we bring a full setup?
Are custom builds legal?
Are custom stage textures for the tourney stages legal?
What happens if Pm 3.6 releases day of tourney?
The request
I am able to bring twos tvs to this but only one Wii. Anyone willing to bring their Wii?
@ Corby Corby
I would like it if you tell people about my tv so that they will bring their Wii. Please and Thanks.
-Stage ban rules have been updated above.
-The venue is on the ground floor, you can check out the directions link above to get a better idea of how far you may have to carry anything (which isn't far!).
-The tournament entry fee is $5, and that money goes directly into the overall prize pool. We considered having a door/venue fee and then allow a discount for bringing setups in order to promote people to bring them, but we figured that may not be necessary. We still could use more setups though (the more the better!), so it would be much appreciated if you could bring one!
-In terms of custom builds, what exactly are you referring to?
-Custom stage textures are fine as long as it doesn't hinder players from performing optimally in any fashion (i.e. Unable to see Snake's mines due to a color change, etc)
-We'll stick with 3.5 if that is the case...should 3.6 come out beforehand we will address it accordingly.
-I'll let others know, I have extra TVs available that I'll be bringing as well.

Will this be on a stream? I'm going definitely tho either way.
For this tournament, no, as we don't have the necessary equipment readily available, but we're already considering it for potential future events.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions or concerns! :4pacman:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Just realized something. My attendance could clash with my cat's medical appointment the same day at noon. Ergo, I'm shifting gears to Maybe.:i6rkW:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I have made a custom build of PM that does not affect mechanics but it does remove nametags in matches. Also some stages(non legal) were replaced with stages not found in the official pm builds.

Hope I answered your question, Corby.

Corby

Smash Cadet
Looks awesome. But I can only bring a gamecube controller. Is that okay?
That's okay! Setups are not required, we would appreciate more though.

Just realized something. My attendance could clash with my cat's medical appointment the same day at noon. Ergo, I'm shifting gears to Maybe.:i6rkW:
That's completely understandable, if you can't make it this time there will likely be another sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

I have made a custom build of PM that does not affect mechanics but it does remove nametags in matches. Also some stages(non legal) were replaced with stages not found in the official pm builds.

Hope I answered your question, Corby.
Gotchya. I don't see why anyone would really mind removed nametags...and as long the stages listed above that are to be used in the tournament are not replaced then it should be fine.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Agh, I can't make any of these. Why does school have to get in the way so often? >.<

Corby

Smash Cadet
@ Corby Corby

How early will the venue open for friendlies? How many people are you expecting?
The venue opens at 2pm. Really no idea, I'd say 30, but it could be a lot more, maybe less? I'm anxious to see, but I'm sure it'll be a good amount either way, haha.
Are you still able to bring your setup by the way?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm in, I can bring 1 PM set up and TV, as well as a Smash 4 setup for friendlies, if you guys like!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
That would be really awesome Woofeh, go for it! :D
I don't think I'll bring my TV for Smash 4 though, has a ton of consoles hooked up to it, so if someone can bring a monitor or good TV, it'd be appreciated.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Really good job on the directions @ Corby Corby

Do you have anything that I could put my tv on and roll it in? It would help.

Will there be any PM side events? I would love an All-star singles event. Best of 1, 10 stock, 20 min, cannot have multiples of the same character. I would love that.

Corby

Smash Cadet
Really good job on the directions @ Corby Corby

Do you have anything that I could put my tv on and roll it in? It would help.

Will there be any PM side events? I would love an All-star singles event. Best of 1, 10 stock, 20 min, cannot have multiples of the same character. I would love that.
Thanks! I do not, but we can get enough people I'm sure to lift it, haha. We may do pm side events at the end if there's a bunch of people still around. I'm down! haha

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Shout out to the security guard not letting us in. She said we needed the name of the person and their apartment number. Fun times... -.-;

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Shout out to coby and Trash! Good games to everyone!

Lost a set, won a set, and lost a set, in that order.:sonic:

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts

BigPappa for the hype tourney set. Thanks for recording a match for me.

Wispy for being a good cameraman. Lol with the security guard.

Corby and Obdurate Mario for being great TOs.

Great games everyone.

Corby

Smash Cadet
Shout out to the security guard not letting us in. She said we needed the name of the person and their apartment number. Fun times... -.-;
Apologies for that too...we think she was new on the job, we were told before the tournament that anyone coming for the tournament just had to say so and it'd all be good. We spoke to her after BiggPapa got denied and settled it, fortunately.

Corby

Smash Cadet
Realized I had the "Recur this event" option enabled, and it was set to per week...

No, there will not be a tournament next Saturday, as fun as that sounds, haha. Sorry about that.

Corby

Smash Cadet
Any ideas on when the next one will be? I had a lot of fun at the tournament (even though I got bodied lmao)
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! We haven't decided on an exact date yet, but it will most likely be within the next 3-6 weeks. We'll make an announcement once it's officially decided.

Top Bottom