• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maple Story, an MMORPG for DS

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200605120008

This is pretty old now, but I havn't seen anything about it here. So just in case there are some Maple Story players here, or people who used to play, like myself.

I played almost a year ago, but quit once I got to level 18 or so, because it was just taking too long to level up. I felt like I was literally wasting my life. But I'm willing to give it another shot, maybe they will make it different for DS.

Also, just the fact that it's an MMORPG on DS, and the first MMORPG on a handheld is pretty cool. I hope they make good use of the microphone.

For people who havn't played Maple Story before, it is a really, really fun game until you get to about level 12, in my opinion. That's when it becomes too repeatitive, and that's when I felt like there wasn't really any goal to it, just wasting my life leveling up. But it's still fun to start up a new character. I'm thinking about getting back into it again before it's made on DS, just to get about 10 levels into the game. And then hopefully they will make some changes in the DS version.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh god....MMORPG sounds good, but Maple Story? ugh.

Shazz

Smash Journeyman
Mic_Fox said:
Oh god....MMORPG sounds good, but Maple Story? ugh.
How bad is it really? I've never tried it, but alot of people have vastly different opinions about it :p.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Maple Story is BARELY an MMORPG. It's mostly a side scrolling game that you play online. It's about as MASSIVE as Gunbound. A fun game that is great because it's JUST online, but not massive at all.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Yeehawz Maplestory is a really fun game to waste time to, if you are at a cousin's birthday or an aunts funeral or something this would be the perfect game for those times. I dunno how they will be able to use all the features with so little buttons. but thats for them to figure out.

catphysician it took you a year to get to 18? most people play long leveling sessions but, thats becuase thats pretty much the whole game. You can probably go from 18 to 19 in 45 minutes.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I ended a weeks play around 15 I believe. I couldn't play for long periods of time.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I got stuck. I wanted to be a theif(ninja?) so i took a car to the village, but i was way under level and kept dying. Plus, all the idiots would congregate in one spot to trade items(like 100 of em) and they would clog the server. The creeen would freeze but the game would go on, I'd walk into some monsters and the only clue i'd have of what was going on would be sound. The game itself wasn't bad though.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
ender said:
Yeehawz Maplestory is a really fun game to waste time to, if you are at a cousin's birthday or an aunts funeral or something this would be the perfect game for those times. I dunno how they will be able to use all the features with so little buttons. but thats for them to figure out.

catphysician it took you a year to get to 18? most people play long leveling sessions but, thats becuase thats pretty much the whole game. You can probably go from 18 to 19 in 45 minutes.
Heh, sorry, I think I kind of worded that wrong. I picked up the game a year ago and also quit at that time, once I got to level 18. It took me about a couple weeks to get to that level.

Haha, playing DS during a funeral. And I don't think the buttons will be much of an issue because of the touch screen.

Oh and your movie Simna Ibn Idiot is awesome, haha. It inspired my friend who makes comics to start making voiced-over comics. His site with the comics is here, if you want to check it out: http://www.tweakshow.741.com/

TheLostCause

Smash Rookie
Maple story is an awesome 2D MMORPG,i mean whenthe hell is the last time youve seen a 2D game that can also make you character change his or hers facial expessions,isnt that cool ****,and most likely comming to the ds,thats freaikng awesomeness DUDE!!!!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I played MS for a long time. Got to LV73 and then they said they were ending beta. They then said they'd be deleting our beta characters even though they said they'd keep them -.-; Got pissed off at that and just quit. Didn't want to level up all over again.

Stinkoman

Smash Apprentice
Maple Story is pretty good. I play it. However, I don't see how people can be so ******** as to spend real life money and replace it as "nx cash" so they can buy cute little clothes and different style hair for their characters. That's nothing but a scam. Other than that, it's good. Oh yes, it can waste time, but hey, I've got nothing better to do sometimes. I also pity the people who spend hours and hours a day playing it and get to, like, level 50 in a week. I've been playing for about seven months and I got a warrior to level 30 and a mage to level 36. I think that's pretty good, but I'm not obsessed, like this term I heard, a "Mapleholic". There's obviously people like that, and again I'll say I pity those people. And again on the topic of Maple for DS. I think that's pretty funny actually. I would wonder what the graphics would look like, and how you would go about playing it. It could be good, or it could suck, but we don't know that yet.

Wow I think I wrote too much.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
I'm glad someone is trying to make an MMORPG for DS. It'd be an easy port, considering the graphics are all just sprites.

If MapleStory has to be the first candidate, then I just don't have to play it. Someone will come along and make a decent one.

In case you haven't played MapleStory, it's all "go kill X amount of enemies and pick up what they drop" quests. Without exception. Also, there's no PvP.

I played until Lvl 31, and when I couldn't do party quests anymore the social aspect was completely gone and I quit. The game gets redundant FAST.

TheLostCause

Smash Rookie
I cant stand playing that game that much anymore cause i am not going anywhere in it,it takes the longest to level up and my mesos get used like crazy,if only there was a meso hack or something but most of the hacks have been patched so im screwed waisting weeks leveling my guy up.

So what area do you guys think is better,I like Scania

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
Maplestory is hecka fun! i play it whenever I can ! its a fun game to interact with other people , hey atleast its better than runescape...-.-

Calarius

Smash Rookie
MS is okay. YOu just need friends and something to do. I still don't see how they're gonna get everything onto the DS. Most of the bosses are too big for the screen.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Before, I quit for mostly the reasons Bahumet said. But now several of my friends and I have started playing again, and trust me, the game is only really fun if you have friends on it. Also, you have to limit how much you play, otherwise you will quit fast. Someone earlier said it took them a few months to get to level 30. That's good, it's better than getting there in a few weeks and then quitting. I personally try to play only at night, when I won't have to feel bad about not being outside or something.

Also, while playing this time, I discovered that leveling up isn't the only thing to do. You have to do alot of planning ahead and look for certain materials and try to get the right amount to build certain weapons for when you turn to the level that can wield it. And you do this by not just killing monsters, but trading with people, which adds to the fun.

Also, on the topic of NX cash. I'll probably never buy any. My friends and I used to make fun of people who do until one of them bought some. $30 worth. At first I was going to make fun of her, but now that I think about it, this is a great game that you can play for free. So really, she's just choosing to support the creators and get a few cool extras in the process. I mean, I payed $30 for games like Meteos, which only lasted me about a week. I know Maple Story has given me alot of entertainment, and I havn't had to pay anything. So while I still probably won't pay NX cash, I understand why people do. As long as they don't spend crazy amounts, though. $30, I can understand.

Calarius

Smash Rookie
mangoman72 said:
Now bahamut, that isn't true. What about the annoying/impossible jump quests?
Hush. No one should ever know of those demented quests.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Bahamut said:
I played until Lvl 31, and when I couldn't do party quests anymore the social aspect was completely gone and I quit. The game gets redundant FAST.
I agree. I got to about level 35 and quit when I realized how terrible it was. Level 30 is supposed to be a big pay-off, but it was lame.

I also agree with the people who said those quests were crap.

MMORPG for the DS sounds cool...but not Maplestory.

skizz

Smash Rookie
Azen Zagenite said:
I think Maple Story is the best MMORPG there is in existance.

Azen was a legend in MS beta >_>

Like some people have said, it's only fun if you have a goal or have friends to play with. I played the beta version, global version for awhile, now I'm playing the Japanese version because my friends are there and it has better maps and monsters to kill and stuff. imo, you don't really get a chance to know what playing a certain class is like until you reach lv50 or so =\

Marshigio your sig is very distracting...hypnotic ***

Jennuh

Smash Journeyman
Jump quests are not impossible, lmao. They are so easy. o_O

But I have to agree with everyone else though. I started playing maybe a month ago and I'm lvl 36 and have another character lvl 22. Its only fun if you have friends on it. I get bored easily if no one is on. So its easier for me to lvl with my friends cause we'll just chat, goof around and usually.. kill steal. Lol. Or open summon bags on noobs in Kerning.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I would rather take a quick jab to the face by a mid-weight boxer than be forced to play MS for over 3 hours. That being said, I do like the MMO possibilites for DS and the fact that MS could be ported will hopefully open the doors for said genre.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK.
Maple Story is pretty fun, but...
It starts getting real old around level 30. As excited as I was about the new skills and weapons and stuff, it just takes TOO BLOODY LONG to lvl up.
And the baddies that would be giving you enough EXP to level up in a reasonable time are too freakin' hard! It's not balanced very well.

The strengths of baddies ramps up too quickly for the minimal amounts of extra EXP they provide, so you're better off just killing wussy baddies over anbd over, which gets old fast.
What's worse is that even when you're fighting baddies of your level, it STILL takes forever to level up AND you wind up spending half the money you get from them on potions.

Also, the recovery system is crap because it's based on a hard number instead of a PERCENTAGE, which is what it SHOULD be.
SO you basically HAVE to start buying potions later or else you'll be waiting a half hour to regenerate.

All that being said, I would LOVE Maple STory on the DS if they altered elements like this to the gameplay.
Also, give us, like, prepaid cards or something for NX, man!
I spent so long on Maple Story I would've bought some, if I didn't need Pay Pal!
That's money you guys lost out on, MS makers.

If they can fix those two problems, I'd jump on the boat quickly.

KLSmash

Smash Ace
cavesonic13 said:
Maplestory is hecka fun! i play it whenever I can ! its a fun game to interact with other people , hey atleast its better than runescape...-.-
You can't exactly compare the two, it's like apples and oranges. MapleStory is a 2-D side-scrolling MMORPG, while Runescape is 3-D, point and click game with crap graphics. Too completely different games.

WOT

Smash Apprentice
I played MS for a long time. Got to LV73 and then they said they were ending beta. They then said they'd be deleting our beta characters even though they said they'd keep them -.-; Got pissed off at that and just quit. Didn't want to level up all over again.
you fail so much harder than anyone has ever failed before

Duckles

Smash Cadet
If they want to make a MMORPG for the DS, make it World of Warcraft.
Why would they put world of warcraft on a system that is only worth buying if you take it out of the house?

Maple story is fun, I have a level 35 archer, though I haven't played in a while due to lack of time. But it is definitely a fun way to pass some time. The background music and the happy monsters make it a very relaxing game to play. And yeah it doesn't have a third dimension but what can you expect from a free game? Taking that into consideration it is amazing what they have done with it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i'm sure that was an enjoyable experience.

If they find a way to stop people from congregating in one spot an all trying to sell their items, which causes massive slowdown, i'll buy it.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of MMORPGs but MS was fairly decent. The battle system is much better than that of other games such as Runescape (eww). Anyway, MS for the DS looks ok, but how are they going to have a chat feature? Touchpad keyboard?

Top Bottom