• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Custom User Requested Mods for Smash 64

Madao

unfortunately, not very :(

I need to get into it though as I'm designing a decompilation language for making it easier to convert ASM into code or another ASM code-set:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110263988688421174390/UMCSL
Man, you sure are ambitious! My only problem with making a decompiler, is how time consuming it is. Not to say it's a waste though, because it sure has its uses. I'd imagine converting assembly to pseudo code is not too hard though. You'd probably save a lot of time by looking at source codes of emulators, if you haven't done so already.

Heh, right now, I'm tweaking a recompiler myself :).

My advice for learning assembly is to simply read up on the instruction set and run the code step by step, while watching the registers. For me, this method makes me learn stuff very quickly. Don't worry about even memorizing instructions. You will naturally memorize it along the way. Just have a handy instruct set list to refer to, anytime you don't know/remember an instruction.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Man, you sure are ambitious!
haha, you're only just seeing the peak XD
I'm doing stuff alone that's beyond complexity :3

such as designing an interactive AI (allows you to talk and interact with characters as if they were living beings) for a game system that doesn't use a fixed number system. ;P
try shoving that deep into your thought process and see how overwhelmed you get in a few seconds of thinking about it. ;D
(and I have a deeply overactive imagination that teaches me things before I even have a chance to learn them)

lolol no harm meant or anything ;)

anyways...
all I really need is a list ^_^

you got an accurate one you could refer me to?? :)

Heh, right now, I'm tweaking a recompiler myself :)
that's cool :D
all I really need to know is the instruction sets and what my logic is missing from them :)

I'd imagine converting assembly to pseudo code is not too hard though. You'd probably save a lot of time by looking at source codes of emulators, if you haven't done so already.
I've tried to, but unfortunately, I'm better at understanding Python and Javascript than I am at C++ heh

but yea, the logic there is quite simple :)
if there weren't more advanced things in computers no-a-days, UMCSL might've been complete and I may have had a working decompiler/language converter.

but yea, there's many more things which I'm having trouble seeing how they work. :p

btw, I'm autistic... but I consider it a gift because I can literally see and visualize logic :)
if I'm able to get a visual of something, I usually understand how it works :)
though sometimes there's things missing to where my internal simulation is only JUST good enough to work. XD

Madao

I'm really glad to see others interested in doing something with Smash64. I felt lonely for a while ;/ .

Lol I've never done AI before. It's probably too complex for me. But it's definitely something I want to learn one day since I have a goal of making a game one day.

What instruction set do you want to learn? x86, PPC, or MIPS? I mostly do x86, followed by MIPS. I have a little experience with the super nintendo one too. Haven't really done PPC, although I've glanced at the instruction set. Once you learn 1 instruction set, the rest are a lot easier to learn. Although it's kind of a hassle how a lot of lists I've seen, don't show all instructions. Gotta have multiple lists tbh, but it's cool because some lists have additional information, like for x86 branch instruction, it's nice to know the specifics.

Lol for me, C and ASM are the easiest for me to understand. My understanding of C++ is good too, except when there's heavy use of OO code. I guess I'm different from most people xD. Really, all you need to know, from the emulator source is the byte encoding. For instance after copy pasting code from PJ64, you could make an MIPS disassembler within minutes.

That's cool, you're a visual learner. I'm kinda the same way. That's why I love to debug. It really helps me understand code in a deep level. I'm also quick when it comes to finding problems in code. Built in emulator debuggers are amazing.

Do you use cheat engine? I think memory editors are a great tool to use.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
-dust rolls through the wind-

dat feeling wen when you feel totally un-usefull
criiiiiiii

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
lol kahnu, I've been there many times XD
I know dat feel bro :3
(specifically with not having UMC finished, I feel useless not having it) =3=

just keep doing what you do man :)

Last edited:

yttik

Don't forget Giant DK and Master Hand on that character select screen :dk64:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I decided to give rom hacking another try and it's been a success. Thanks to Zoinkity and CaitSith2. Now I've overcame the compression issue. Now it's just all about finding addresses, and debugging the complex stuff.

Anyway, I suggest you play around with cheat engine, then start making character mods, once you have a feel for the game mechanics. I may start doing character mods myself. So far, I can change Hitbox data, Character physics, some moveset data properties, animation swap, etc.
I don't really understand any of this, but are 64 games messy, or is it just smash in particular?
Every time I read about you guys trying to crack this game it just seems like y'all are struggling

Madao

I don't really understand any of this, but are 64 games messy, or is it just smash in particular?
Every time I read about you guys trying to crack this game it just seems like y'all are struggling
I would say it's mostly difficult due to n64. There was limited space on the cartridge, so developers had to use compression to make all the data fit. It's so much easier when you don't have to deal with compression and all the files are organized nicely. Another thing that makes the later smash games easier to hack, is that the hardware is better, so there's less limitations. So things like graphics are easier to modify (and make it look good). If more programmers were simply interested in this game, we could see some cool stuff done.

Smash games are probably messy too. I've seen some weird stuff so far.

caneut

Smash Ace
Request: Remove the usage of upstick as jump.

Also, move the low platforms to the top, and the top platform lower in dreamland.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I would like to see DL re-skinned for every stage in Smash 64. That way, every stage could be formatted like dreamland with different textures and soundtracks. Or maybe entire stage fixes and overhauls would be more appropriate. Another idea is to create our own stages to fit our needs.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

Studstill

Smash Ace
The Six Million Dollar Kirby (or any other character) arrives in 2015. Modded ditto tournaments, one a month, but we don`t know what to change!
We haven`t decided on global changes yet, but totally need some help on the character mods!
Moveset swapping is still janky and elusive, but most all physics can be altered:
What do you want improved about your favorite character?
Personally, Kirby is perfect (until I can Z-cancel B moves) but I think Fox could have some interesting changes.
@ Kahnu Kahnu and @ Madao Madao can give some more detailed advice on what can/can`t be changed.

Madao

The real question is, who's willing to do the work, and who actually wants these mods?

No real point if purists are just going to complain about the changes that were made.

Anyway, @ Kahnu Kahnu pretty much gave up on modding, so who's going to do it now? My time is limited, idk if I'll even do anything after the Hyrule Warrior's mod.

To answer your question, hitbox data can be changed, but animations is in another ballpark. If somebody could figure out how the animations worked, I'd actually be more motivated in modding the game.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
@ Madao Madao

I've been on a break.

also 420 blez it stoodstl

Also who even WANTS anything?

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Dear @ Kahnu Kahnu ,

Your text color, the hideous purple, is too difficult to read. It doesn't really catch my eye and I find myself ignoring your posts as the task is too tedious. I suggest that you choose a lighter color; one that is contrasting to the default color of Smashboard's dark theme. Please, take this as constructive criticism.

Your fellow smasher,
Banana

Morin0

Smash Lord
Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Dear @ Kahnu Kahnu ,

Your text color, the hideous purple, is too difficult to read. It doesn't really catch my eye and I find myself ignoring your posts as the task is too tedious. I suggest that you choose a lighter color; one that is contrasting to the default color of Smashboard's dark theme. Please, take this as constructive criticism.

Your fellow smasher,
Banana
go here http://smashboards.com/account/preferences
and ctrl f 'post colors'

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
yfw this would lag on console and even on bad computers on emulator
Or you can press 2xsal textures to minimize texture size, this makes it so its lower quality but runs at the same speed pj64 would normally run smash 64

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
you just swam in puh

http://gyazo.com/0487f8b5868865c844d8fa55ef52d8f0
http://gyazo.com/ce0e3dd6586f431fc5fbe64ec89944ef
http://gyazo.com/24ddc341ce02b211ca1ecfa1a6226d7a

would offer download but nobody gives a **** about textures :)
even though you can pretty much edit stages with them and edit characters slightly

kk :)
Was this a ROM patch or was the stage textured with emulator plugins? Was this made by hand or through a tool that would never work on console?

This may be very impressive (assuming it's not emulator only) and helpful. I'd love to see any sort of documentation that may be around

Top Bottom