• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Custom User Requested Mods for Smash 64

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Remember my shameless advertisement for Smash 64 Vault?
WEEEEL to help advertising I made this.

You give me a stage or a character to retexturize into something, I give you the full emulator with the correct configuration and the textures, the end.

Heres the format.

STAGE:
Change to:

CHARACTER:
Change to:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
heres some goku bs

tell me if u want

did a pretty shtty job if u ask me

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
Changing textures isn't quite new. Let me know when you can change actual character models like PM can vertex hack characters into completely new characters.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Changing textures isn't quite new. Let me know when you can change actual character models like PM can vertex hack characters into completely new characters.
lol u know thats impossible right?
the n64 doesnt have a file system like the wii
all i can do is change textures and hack with cheat codes
this is the height of ssb64 hacking for now

EDIT:
it actually is possible, but we dont know what format HAL compresses there games in
and we don't know what type of file the characters use

Han Solo the smash bros player. Not the Star Wars character. lol.
oops

Last edited by a moderator:

Madao

it actually is possible, but we dont know what format HAL compresses there games in
and we don't know what type of file the characters use
Smash64 uses vpk0 for compression. Problem is, no one in this community really cared enough to give it a try. I at least put some effort into figuring out how it's done. So far, I've managed to manually change a few things in the compressed data, like Luigi's max X-Air speed. I even made a patch, but most people didn't like it :confused: . The best chance of this happening is zoinkity finishing that file inserter he said he might do. Problem is people live busy lives. There's already a compatible decompressor and re-compressor, but I haven't bothered to try figuring out how to get the re-compressor to work yet.

Been busy doing n64 emulator & plugin development.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Smash64 uses vpk0 for compression. Problem is, no one in this community really cared enough to give it a try. I at least put some effort into figuring out how it's done. So far, I've managed to manually change a few things in the compressed data, like Luigi's max X-Air speed. I even made a patch, but most people didn't like it :confused: . The best chance of this happening is zoinkity finishing that file inserter he said he might do. Problem is people live busy lives. There's already a compatible decompressor and re-compressor, but I haven't bothered to try figuring out how to get the re-compressor to work yet.

May I help?
I have virtually nothing to do everyday (besides school)
Could you send me the decompressor and the re-compressor?
I'm really interested in modding 64!

Goku Download

http://www.4shared.com/rar/IMtTims2ce/Goku.html?

Madao

May I help?
I have virtually nothing to do everyday (besides school)
Could you send me the decompressor and the re-compressor?
I'm really interested in modding 64!
Your help would be great! Thank goodness there's someone out there who's willing to try something! Are you a programmer? Because this will be more difficult if you aren't already familiar with it. I'd be willing to help you learn though, if you need help.

Here's the compressor . There are 2 decompressors, midwaydec and subdrag's . You will need to install python to run midwaydec. Anyway, the instructions for compressing aren't simple. Let me know if you need help with using CMD. You'll need to use CMD for the compressor.

Here's a link to some advice on how to use the compressor. Also there's a N64 Sound Tool if anyone's interested in audio stuff.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Your help would be great! Thank goodness there's someone out there who's willing to try something! Are you a programmer? Because this will be more difficult if you aren't already familiar with it. I'd be willing to help you learn though, if you need help.

Here's the compressor . There are 2 decompressors, midwaydec and subdrag's . You will need to install python to run midwaydec. Anyway, the instructions for compressing aren't simple. Let me know if you need help with using CMD. You'll need to use CMD for the compressor.

Here's a link to some advice on how to use the compressor. Also there's a N64 Sound Tool if anyone's interested in audio stuff.

I know LUA and Hex, (if you count hex as a language)
Thankyou so much, I'll try my best to finally make a mod for 64!

Oh also, If you want to contact me directly my skype is wot

(no i aint afraid of showing mah skype cus i got proxy)

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Also Super Smash Bros isn't on the Subdrag Decompressor list.
http://gyazo.com/85d86b76fa708baeac9e6077fbb3e346

-----EDIT-----

Nevermind, found it!
It's just that it said ''SSB'' rather than the full title.

--EDIT EDIT--

That awkward moment when you accidently decompress everything on your desktop >.<

--EDIT EDIT EDIT--
SO MANY FILES

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Smash64 uses vpk0 for compression. Problem is, no one in this community really cared enough to give it a try.
Is it legal to just repost Madao posts?

What about blatant double posting in honor of this thread?

Madao

Alright, well atm I'm preoccupied. Possibly next week or 2 weeks from now, I should be more free.

What do you mean by "The bin files aren't letting me mount them"? If you're wondering how to put it together, it's rather complicated. I honestly don't even know what the proper order is supposed to be. Pretty much the only thing left to do if figure out how to reinsert it back into the rom. From my understanding, the easiest way to put it back inside is to compress the file to be the exact same length as the original compressed file.

That's great that you have some experience.

Shears

Smash Master
Is that Sakurais face or @The Star King?

Really good work @ Kahnu Kahnu , you should remove pikas red, green, and no hat looks and replace them with blue hats. In fact, could you put the blue party hat on every character? I think then I might actually start playing the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
just for the record, i meant han solo the star wars character. I just decided to tag the guy tho

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
it's been a flame burning in my chest since I started writing UMC that I've wanted to hack SSB64,
problem is, I actually need to start work on the next project up from UMC (UGC) before I can even think about working on it. :(

UMC already supports compression scripts, so any compression algorithm can be added, and I'm working on archive support for the next release (not the next update), but I'm still nowhere near being able to handle the full data of SSB yet :(

but I'm still working to look into this format ;)
at least someone's finally gotten this thing extracted, but now that I have the files, I'm having trouble deciphering the data in them...
are the files themselves compressed as well??

Madao

but I'm still working to look into this format ;)
at least someone's finally gotten this thing extracted, but now that I have the files, I'm having trouble deciphering the data in them...
are the files themselves compressed as well??
Originally, all those files are compressed. When you decompress it using midwaydec, everything gets uncompressed, so all those mini bin files are uncompressed. You can actually hex search through all the files to find specific things if you want, like character stats.

It's one of the reasons I suggested finding things in RAM first, since it's already decompressed and you can directly work with it in real time. It's nice to be able to debug the game while playing it.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Make me a mod
of?

Originally, all those files are compressed. When you decompress it using midwaydec, everything gets uncompressed, so all those mini bin files are uncompressed. You can actually hex search through all the files to find specific things if you want, like character stats.

It's one of the reasons I suggested finding things in RAM first, since it's already decompressed and you can directly work with it in real time. It's nice to be able to debug the game while playing it.
I did that originally. o.o, Those are the types of files I gave Tcl. Guess I just didn't know the name for it.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
if that's decompressed, then I can't make sense of any of it... I've looked at about a good 20 or so of those bin files and mistook alot of the data for image data :p

but when I opened some of the more-larger files and saw the same thing, that's when I made the assumption everything was compressed.

I'm usually good at identifying raw structures, and was the one who cracked the REFT format for brawl.
I also found a few fixes for Revel8n's findings and also identified alot of the structures from Kirby Air-Ride's star model format.

the types of data I'm good at identifying right off the bat are image data and polygon data. (no matter how the file is structured)

could you perhapse give me a lead here to help me understand :)
I can't even find any strings other than in system.bin, which seems to contain alot of the names similar to what Revel8n found for Melee's data structures.

EDIT: o.o
wait a minute... I'm a freakin derp
the whole thing... everything is a freakin instruction set XDD

time to have me some fun :3

Last edited:

Madao

I forgot how strange some of smash's data is. I guess you could actually call it compression since some data really is packed in bytes (like a lot of moveset data). What exactly are you looking for atm?

The problem is, hardly anyone attempted to find stuff in Smash64. It's the game people know the least about. I was actually hoping I could figure out how animation works in Smash64, by seeing how it's done in brawl, but I gave up with that lol.

Sorry I don't have any experience with finding image data. I have no clue how I'd even find it either. I'm mostly used to just either brute forcing, or doing data comparisons. I do also debug every once in a while. One small thing I wanted to do was change shield colors, but idk how to find stuff like that.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
lol if you knew me well XD
I'm always looking for model data :)
my project: http://smashboards.com/threads/universal-model-converter-official-development-thread.334292

again, I intend to have archive support by UMC 3.0
by then we should be able to take care of most of our problems :)
(the specialty of UMC is just how easy it makes things for you, and noobs, unlike Blender)
^UMC keeps things almost entirely at the primary level, as well as it's fully automated (alot like OpenGL)
all you have to do is hand it your data at the proper points, and have it manage your data for you

for example, Brawl's brres archives will need to call a slew of extended scripts depending on what the data field is.
archive scripts can even call other archive scripts if needed.

so yea, I'm really focusing on model data atm and leaving anything external out for now until I have better knowledge to build better support ;)

image data is really easy to find if you know how to identify it ;)
it's acually the easiest data to identify ;)

take a look at some tex0 files from brawl in a hex editor, I do believe every nintendo system uses the same image data layout ;)
the next thing that's easy to spot is model polygon data, but this is a little more complex...
the easiest polygon data always looks like a data field of diagonal lines:

..#.#..#.#..#.#.
.#.#..#.#..#.#..
#.#..#.#..#.#..#
.#..#.#..#.#..#.
#..#.#..#.#..#.#

unfortunately I can't give much more info (that won't take a long while to write (which I don't have right now))
than that because Milun's site died...
but you can read up on a bunch of old info back from when I was a noob to programming :)
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/50312-Melee-Arcive-Viewer-(MAV)-in-development-project

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
btw, if you ever need a good hex eitor, I've written a crack for this: :)

^the image shows PlPcNr.dat (Melee Pichu) highlighted with my DAT template in HexEdit

the pink block is polygon data btw, where the grey-ish pink area is a single primative ;)
see what I mean by diagonal lines :p

may as well mention, the yellow area is polygon attributes, the data that describes the length of 1 facepoint or vertex.
(I like facepoint better so you don't confuse "vert" between vertex and vertice)

the blue areas (which the white areas are also supposed to be highlighted blue, but the cache doesn't go that far) are weight-lists.

and the green datas are (valid) pointers (indexed by the pointer table, which is the first thing read in the file)

Last edited:

Madao

Nice work! One thing I've always wanted to do was edit animation data. So far brute force method has helped a bit.

Lol that hex editor looks nice. Right now, I usually use HXD, and when I need to use fancy options, I use hex editor neo.

Atm I'm still working on n64 emulation though. Sometime this week, I'll try seeing what I can find. I'll do some searching on images and stuff.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I've tried Neo, didn't like the fact you couldn't use much w/o paying for it... heh

the only thing this does if you don't pay is annoy you with a dialog every 2 minutes (which my crack removes)

I'll admit, it took a little work to get it that far... heh
the color-highlighting is a new feature, and this was the only build to have it, so it's very buggy...
1: you can only highlight by reading strings
2: color layering (shown in the image) is very unfriendly and doesn't blend...

if I could just find out how the data is packed (I think I was wrong about the 8-byte structures), I could do alot of work with it :)
(you already know more about that stuff than me) XD

Madao

I'm honestly surprised how buggy some "professional" software is. I usually avoid cracking, so I just exploit free trials xD. I need a 64bit debugger lol. I'm too used to ollydbg.

I remember spending a good hour looking at the features each hex editor has and I chose neo. I'll have to see if yours has any features that mine doesn't. Lol atm I'm too lazy to remove those annoying dialogs in neo.

How familiar are you with assembly language in general? Maybe even today I could try debugging for a bit.

Top Bottom