• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Fox Faster.

Animal

Smash Lord
While playing today i noticed something extremely simple that will definitely make your fox overall faster. We were all taught the simple technique of shuffling. Shorthop arial fastfall L- cancel. It was one of the first things i learned. However, over the years i've stopped emphasizing the fast fall. Fox's short hop is so quick and low to the ground that without fastfall it is still effective and quick. So it is understandable that we tend to forget to fastfall. However, it makes a significant difference. My advice, if you want to make your fox faster, is to throw into your game short hop EMPTY shuffles fastfalled. This is surprisingly effective in making your overall movement faster. Also remember while shuffling with aerials to fast fall them as well, because the quicker you land the quicker you can string attacks.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Sometimes omitting the fastfall on Fox's move is a good thing. You can bair shields and d.i. away, avoid the grab, and still hit them (if you don't fastfall).

Empty short hopping is cool, but its a bit old. Animal you have to take out those Ls. No lcancelling is needed for this. New technique SHUFFING.

Good post Animal. :)

On the real, lets try to actually get faster and not try to "appear" faster.

-Fox has to run alot, so getting in and out of that run as fast as possible is crucial. Once you've left the initial dash animation, you slide when you try to turn around. This is really, really bad. A couple of ways to keep your momentum going even when you're at a full run:

-Edge-cancelled dashes: Running straight at any edge and simply dashing in the other direction right before you fall off. The "tipping off" animation cancels your dash and you turn around and jet in the other direction without sliding. This works on the ledges of all levels, and on the edges of platforms.

-Crouch turning (this probably doesn't have a real name): Did you know that during a crouch, you can't run in the opposite direction you're facing? You have to stand up first and THEN dash. Understanding how dashes work is key to understanding how to make your DDing quicker and more varied. During a full run, quickly dash cancel by crouching, dash forwards (as if you were DDing) and quickly run in the other direction. You could simply wavedash, but this works too.

You need to crouch to stop the run, and dash forward to stand up because its impossible to dash backwards while crouching. Once you learn to put this all into one fluid motion, it looks really cool.

Animal

Smash Lord
Agreed, i never said to use this every time, but logically if you want a quicker fox this would be helpful. hahah ok ok i see you. i fixed that lol

you going to no jonhs on sat?

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
-Edge-cancelled dashes: Running straight at any edge and simply dashing in the other direction right before you fall off. The "tipping off" animation cancels your dash and you turn around and jet in the other direction without sliding. This works on the ledges of all levels, and on the edges of platforms.
Isn't this what "PC"ing is?? (except falling off and grabbing edge)

Any i didn't know about the crouch thing gonna have to try it.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
^ I think he meant you stay on the stage the whole time whereas with pc'ing you fall off...

and i'm also gunna try this crouch thing..

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yeah, you're supposed to stay on the stage. Its good if say, you're cornered and you want to do something tricky. Full run straight to the edge of the stage, and instead of sliding and doing a slow turnaround, you full run back the way you came. Most people won't expect that to happen. The crouch dashing is something I started doing with Falcon, to help with techchasing. It can be applied to any character though. After a knockdown crouch near your opponent. If they go behind you, perform the slight DD to turnaround dash and give chase. If they get up attack, you can CC it if you're at the right percent and grab or smash attack. If they tech in place or roll away...

well if you're playing a fast character, then teching away isn't really much for you to worry about.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
you can edgehog with this also if you hold away from stage it works easy with cap falcon

it's the fastest edgehog and ive never seen it in any video once of tournament

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i've been practicing those edge canceled dashes. Mostly i just run back and forth on a platform and jab at both ends (in the pivot frame) its not that difficult once you know the timing.

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
Lol, just did this for the first time.

Yeah i've been practicing those edge canceled dashes. Mostly i just run back and forth on a platform and jab at both ends (in the pivot frame) its not that difficult once you know the timing.
would it have any use other than mindgamey-ness, because if you can pivot jab wouldn't up be able to pivot other various moves as well, like a grab maybe? That would be only work if they were chasing you, though it would be totally unexpected. idk:psycho:

EWC

Smash Ace
My favorite movement trick is run->crouch->empty pivot->wavedash back. If you do it really fast, it just looks like you're running, and then suddenly you're sliding backwards.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Yeah, you're supposed to stay on the stage. Its good if say, you're cornered and you want to do something tricky. Full run straight to the edge of the stage, and instead of sliding and doing a slow turnaround, you full run back the way you came. Most people won't expect that to happen. The crouch dashing is something I started doing with Falcon, to help with techchasing. It can be applied to any character though. After a knockdown crouch near your opponent. If they go behind you, perform the slight DD to turnaround dash and give chase. If they get up attack, you can CC it if you're at the right percent and grab or smash attack. If they tech in place or roll away...

well if you're playing a fast character, then teching away isn't really much for you to worry about.

i call this teeter canceling lol

its pretty handy

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
My favorite movement trick is run->crouch->empty pivot->wavedash back. If you do it really fast, it just looks like you're running, and then suddenly you're sliding backwards.
Lol nice, these are the type of movements I like.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I find it much harder to control Fox and play with him at a slower pace. He has so much raw power and speed that it often becomes quite difficult to not go overboard with all of the safe options he has.

Who would you other Fox players consider one of the more patient and careful Fox mains?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Jman is a camp god I wanna be like that....maybe pc and m2k but everyone else goes vixen crazy....oh and maybe swift cuz he just plays with shikamaru like intelligence

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I just realize I have so many issues with fastfallin after a move.....I can't do it....like I aerial and then I immediately try to fastfall....but I don't fastfall at all.....am I doing this too fast??

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You can't fastfall during hitlag. Yep, you're doing it too fast. Wait for the hit to finish, then fastfall. Its not a long wait, it just has a specific timing you need to get used to.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Just do a nair, listen for the sound and watch for the hit, FF and lcancel immediately after. To gauge it for you, notice how different it feels when you SHFFL without hitting an opponent or shield. Its fast because there is nothing in your path. Grind and grind vs. cpus until this stuff is mechanical. This is the foundation of your game.

Throw down on a lvl 1 cpu for like 20 min and its cake.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Is there any visual/audio that helps ur timing??
Just do a nair, listen for the sound and watch for the hit, FF and lcancel immediately after. To gauge it for you, notice how different it feels when you SHFFL without hitting an opponent or shield. Its fast because there is nothing in your path. Grind and grind vs. cpus until this stuff is mechanical. This is the foundation of your game.

Throw down on a lvl 1 cpu for like 20 min and its cake.
Agree with RaynEX. It's something you start to feel after enough tech skill workout sessions.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Any advice on the timing for wavedashing outta a shine cuz half the time I stay in the shine...I try to do it after I hear the blink from the shine

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You use X + R to wavedash, right? I find that easiest. Everyone's different, though.

Make sure you don't jump too quickly out of your shine, or the input won't register.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I use x+r. Isolating your wavedashing inputs to one hand is so efficient. I never have to think about it again because I just press X+R at the same time and boom. I wonder why people use X or Y + L? lol I could never get used to that only.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I use L to shield and R to WD. This lets me WD OoS very easily which is necessary for many characters

Animal

Smash Lord
i use R for everything... even wavedashing oos i would shield with R and just wavedash out of it with R its actually really easy like that

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I don't touch r and I tried...I can't even wavedash or lcancel wit r...idk if I can even sheild with it

Top Bottom