• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Major problems here

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
I played Melee a lot, and after playing Brawl for a few days i have come to the conclusion that:
I suck.
Seriously, I can't tell what's wrong with me
Everything is different, my style of playing, everything
Ever since I started playing Brawl, I have sucked, sucked, and sucked
I have lost to all my friends who used to play Melee and now play brawl, although they easily went down 4-0 agaisnt me in Melee
What is going on with me? I can't figure it out. I can't even find out what character to pick, im becoming really confused and annoyed with this because each character i try with seems to lose
In Melee i played with marth but now his shield breaker inst that effective
His attacks have more lag
he is bit slower than in melee
his sword is shorter

Wat do i do guys

Another problem, is anyone finding the gamecube controller unresponsive? I find it to be a lot more unresponsive than in Melee, it takes me at least 2 C-Stick flicks to unleash one Smash attack, sometimes it doesn't even work at all.
What controller do I use? i'm even more confused now., what works better
why am I losing
I can't beat my friends falco, i'll try fighting and posting vids if I can
I don't even know what characters to take in brawl, I lose with all of them now

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
wow, dude its a game, u sound like ur dying
its a different game than melee and u gotta find urself how to play it. if ur friends are doing ok, ask them how they're doing it rite and how ur doing it wrong
i dont think you've experimented enough with all the characters, there are much more characters, even the old ones have come bak and all changed one way or another, u gotta experiment and see which one u do best with.
also, GC controller is fine, i think urs is broken, or ur just not used to brawl, its fine with me, i always use GC

Best101

Smash Ace
It's normal to find the controls unresponsive the first few times you play Brawl, because of the slowed down gameplay and lag between each move. Start out playing MetaKnight or Toon Link, then eventually you can get back to Marth. He's actually pretty good in this game imo. You just going to have to dump the old play-style you had with Melee, especially if you were really technical in the game.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
The reason why your c-stick is not working the same in Melee is because the c-stick must return to its neutral position before you do another smash attack. Also you might be getting online lag if you're playing online.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I actually am having similar experiences as you, in that one of my friends that I could easily beat in a 1v1 in Melee is now just about even with me (CURSE YOU METAKNIGHT). Also the rest of my friends have come closer to me in skill, but are still not a real problem. I've concluded that I am not as good as in Melee, and that they are all better in Brawl. Perhaps because my offensive playstyle from Melee is easily punished in Brawl. I also had the problem of choosing a main (they're all sooo good!) which meant I had a LOT of trouble against my friend who focused on Metaknight. Since I mostly settled on Falco now, things have gone a bit better.

But basically, my advice is take it easy, experiment with the characters as long as it takes, and then choose one to use frequently. (Or just play Metaknight.) With practice things should get better, and if they don't, then just accept that your friends are now as or more competent in Smash as you are.

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
I had the same problem at first, was a fox main, but I just experimented with new characters and found a new playstyle. Brawl is much more focused on air games, so I shifted my goal to keeping my opponents in the air for combos

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much guys, was really dead back there...
Hopefully I'll experiment with some new characters

Tachita

Smash Cadet
Of the 39 characters Marth is the only one I can't use effectively (along with Pikachu I just hate it!)
In Melee I was decent with him but I think Brawls engine made him more difficult to control
I recommend you to use a new character, there are plenty

About your problems with the controllers, one of my friends says that happens to him too, but I think that it is just the over use of our ol' good wavebirds ( In my case)
My brother has started to use the nunchuk and he is getting better every day

Sacrifar

Smash Rookie
Of the 39 characters Marth is the only one I can't use effectively (along with Pikachu I just hate it!)
In Melee I was decent with him but I think Brawls engine made him more difficult to control
I recommend you to use a new character, there are plenty

About your problems with the controllers, one of my friends says that happens to him too, but I think that it is just the over use of our ol' good wavebirds ( In my case)
My brother has started to use the nunchuk and he is getting better every day
Hmm, I'll try experimenting with the controllers, I bought a used gamecube controller, maybe that's why It's not working as well as it should?
Marth, in my opinion, has become a bit slower than he was. I heavily relied on keeping space between my opponent and attacking with the tip of his long sword in Melee, however, with the reduced length of his sword, I find myself too close to my opponents.

Top Bottom