• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mains?

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
hi. This is probably the wrong place for this, but as the title says, I'm having a bit of a dilemma, and I could use some help from all of you awesome players out there. I have been playing melee for about 6 months (I know, I know) and I can wavedash, L-Cancel, jump cancel grab, and do the basic advanced tech. However, I find that my playstyle seems too aggressive when I play marth, especially since I am often too impatient to dashdance grab/ WD downtilt or bait someone out and wait for a mistake and punish. I love flashy combos and the needles are SO GOOD. However, I like the range of marth's moves and his grab. I seem to do just as good with both characters. With that said, I only want to main one character in melee. Who should it be?

AirFair

Marth tho
Good marth in today's meta is not aggressive. You can play aggressive if you space correctly, but it won't be as good. Maybe yous should play Sheik instead.

It might be argued that the best way to play with Marth is giving someone the impression you are bearing down upon them I would think. Marth has limited moves and cannot afford to swing too often. Thus, some of the illusion I guess you might say are being aggressive against someone. If you are far too passive you lose ground on say dash dancing and you end up being pressured in return. In order to keep up an effective amount of momentum there is a need to being aggressive, but a means to stay defensive as well. Its hard to explain.

Anyway, Marth is still a good choice. Sheik would preform better in teams however. Yet, the big thing to take a look at from say Dart from Midwest is that a Marth player can go pretty far regionally very easily. Though last I knew there was still limited amount of players at national levels for Marth.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Though last I knew there was still limited amount of players at national levels for Marth.
Unfortunately, it will be this way for a long time. I think about this a lot so here's a mini-rant.

Until someone from the new generation of Smashers rises up to the top, Marth representation will be lower, I feel. Many Marth players get scared off of the character by the Mid-level Sheik match-up, which is very destructive. And until the attitude toward "maining" multiple characters changes, we'll continue to see a lack of Marth.

TheRealSkid TheRealSkid : Marth, like any character, requires pure dedication in order to keep moving forward. This means avoiding wasting time trying to keep a secondary for specific match-ups. Mid-level Marth hits some very scary walls in progression and they can be very discouraging, namely Sheik and even Falcon as their skill levels start to rise. Whomever you choose, I advise you to stick to your choice with as much dedication as possible.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
A_Reverie A_Reverie i have no concern about being top level as of now. First, I want to find a character that fits me. But thank you for the insight.

I picked up marth and sheik yesterday and found that I was often trying to go in as marth. I would dash dance and grab, WD dtilt, occasionally rising fair. However, I just approached more in general. As for sheik, she just feels better when it comes to neutral.
When you guys play a good marth or a good sheik, what do you see? What do they do that makes them good?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't think there is any problem with Marth as a character, or as a single main. Any problem you raise with Marth you can easily raise another problem that Shiek has. Two gods currently have a Marth as well (PP and M2K). There are plenty of great up and coming Marth's too. SmashGOD and Zain are looking really good, for example, on top of more known players such as The Moon and PewPewU.

Personally I think Marth is actually better than Shiek, but that's just me. What it boils down to is if you would rather keep things more traditional and rely on shield pressure, or if you are willing to learn the nuance of Marth aggression, which is all about making your opponent respect your potential options.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
MookieRah MookieRah Sheik just seems faster which I like since I constantly have to be hitting things. And I personally love pressuring shields and sheik just seems to be really good at that. Going offstage for edgeguards is also gives me this amazing feeling of accomplishment as my opponent is faired into the blast zone.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Idk. I'm still trying to decide. I like playing against floaties as sheik and heavies as marth. I will keep playing and see what fits me.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
So I played just now and my marth did better! I just needed a break, I guess. But yeah I actually think I'll stick to marth lol. Thanks everyone for all of your help and insight!

D

Deleted member

Do you seem to do better at one or the other? I think if you like to be aggressive and attack, then go Sheik. The good Marths in the current meta aren't aggressive and tend to be slightly more in the middle of the spectrum. I know the metas are bound to change but my gut instinct is to go with the one that you like playing the best (or your play style is more favourable with that character). I am sorry if this didn't help that much and I can't remember what I said on Chillin's stream (if it was you who asked that question). Good luck on finding your main. :sheikmelee: vs :marthmelee:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
It mostly depends on your playstyle. Marth is for players who likes to be in control, limit opponents options and use attacks with great spacing. Sheik is a very combo oriented character, can be aggressive and has great edgeguarding tools.

Last edited:

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
sheik and marth pretty much have the same matchups accross the board, sheik doesn't win any matchups marth doesn't win, marth doesn't win any matchups that sheik loses.

main difference being that marth thrives off of a powerful ground presence and amazing air-to-air/juggle potential, whereas sheik boasts a tremendously good punish game on pretty much the whole cast. a smaller detail is that sheik also has a better static defense than marth, in that she has better out-of-sheild options, a better sheild, better frame-data, and more knockback(thus more likely to have a frame advantage on-hit at low%)

basically thats what youre choosing from. if you like to play out the neutral, like learning matchups, and enjoy marth's fast ground movement, you know who to pick. if you dislike marth's poor defense, and want to practice sheik's brutal punish game, sheik is your main.

oh also, sheik has a much easier time consistently ending stocks than marth, if you think you would get annoyed taking peach and sheik to 180% before you kill them, then marth may be annoying to play as.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Bread Dr. Bread I'm maining marth atm but I constantly switch between the two mainly because I just plain stink (lol). My training partner (a smash 4 player) consistently destroys me as falcon just doing raptor boost -> knee and other reads and stupid dair gimps. He uses NO TECH WHATSOEVER and is clearly just worse than me at the game. As marth I just focus too much on techskill I guess and I have no way of practicing effectively since my computer can't run netplay and my training partner hates watching me get super salty each time we play. I'd say I'm much more aggressive and air-based, but I'm really not sure as to who I should main and how I would get better as that character.

Edit: After playing the game yesterday for a while, I found out what I was doing wrong all this time (not preserving center stage, reads and most importantly, mentality). Marth is the better pick for me as I tried both characters. Thanks everyone for your support!

Last edited:
Top Bottom