• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magus on hookshot sweetspot ledgegrabs

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Magus420 said:
From what I can tell you snap to the edge if you're within range when the reeling in breaks (if you're not in range you go into the jump and won't grab on until you start moving downwards), and the speed of the pull in is based on the distance between Link and an invisible box thing that starts off where it connected to the wall. When you do it while hanging directly below it's at max distance between the two so you move crazy fast (like almost a full body height per frame), and the distance between where you are last vulnerable and the edge (sweetspot distance) can end up being really large when the pull in speed is at its greatest.

Also, the invisible hookshot box thingy used to determine the speed gradually moves downward over time and closer to Link, so the longer you wait before pulling in the slower you will move. When the pull in is slower it will need to be hooked in closer to the edge to be able to snap on, since when you get above the point where it breaks you won't have gone far enough past it to be in range of the edge.

For example, if you hook in about half a body height below the edge and then pull in as soon as you are hanging directly below you'll snap on because you'll go from being below where it triggers a break to being within grab range when it breaks on the next frame. If you wait a bit before pulling in you aren't moving as fast per frame and aren't as far above the break point when you go past it, and go into the jump instead since you didn't grab on.
Have fun with that =P

Zodiac

Smash Master
Hella, I always knew how to sweetspot it and reel in fast but I didn't really "know" how, it was on of those things I just did on instinct. So yea this will be helpful.

cjugs

Smash Ace
When Magus sent me this i had to admit that it was a little rough to understand so i asked Peef and he is gonna make a simpler version and i will post it later for other players to understand.

Skler

Smash Master
What I'm gathering from this is "hookshot at max distance if you're slightly below the stage = instant sweetspot."

You can also sweetspot by going max length (fastfalling during your airdodge seems to cause this, fastfall then hookshot and you'll generally snap).

I just wish it came with pictures! Preferably in pop-up book form.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Or skler could steal all my thunder and create a summary for everyone. jkk lol it's odd because links sweetspot also by hookshot to wait to z.

Top Bottom