• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Machinima Square

clace

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm sure there's a admittedly very small but still existent group of users here who are either very interested in making machinima, and learning about it or people who are making machinima as we speak, and are interested In making a Brawl machinima. We all know the only way to do it (That we know of) is by making the scenario in a Brawl match, then going to the replay mode and recording certain parts, etc.

This is clearly a downstep from Melee's camera mode, but the new and improved visual appeal and content of Brawl is enough to forgive the fact that now smash bros machinima's are a bit more limited.

So i thought maybe, as a community, we could strive to improve the machinima scene of brawl, thus attracting more people to get into it and making Brawl a very machinima-heavy game, like Halo.

I think we can do this by just trying things out, techniques to make camera scrolling easier or smoother, ways to get inspiration for stories, telling fellow machinimators about cheap editing programs, getting voices, criticism, and pretty much everything to help eachother out.

This could be the thread for all those things to happen. So, if your interested in making machinima with Brawl, and getting some tips or something like that while your at it, then come over to this thread now and then, I'm gonna organize it nicely so people can find certain things they're looking for easily. I personally think this is a nice idea, how about you guys?

(Unfinished) List of Submitted Info/Content:

Editing Programs:

Pinnacle Studio Version 10 - Thanks GreatClayMan.

Easy to use program that allows you to capture and edit videos. great for use with capture card and has many features

-Great sound editing
-Panning capabilities
-Easy to understand instructions
-Tons of transitions and effects
-Allows capturing from capture card of camera

Depending on what version you get it ranges from 30$ to 100$

The best way to get it is if you don't have a capture card it comes with the dazzle. Can also be bought from various online stores.

-----------------------------------------------

Machinima Guides and tips:

1.How I film In Brawl - By Shippidge.

This is a video Shippidge
(The creator of Smashtasm)
made to inform people how
to Film brawl the proper way.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cTopRNJKZSo&feature=related

----------------------------------------------

Machinima List:

(Machinima name)

(Genre)

(Description)

(It's youtube name or some info on where you can watch it online.)

Discoveries:

(Discovery name)

(Description)

-----------------------------------------------

By the way, just to let everyone know, by discoveries I mean if someone posts something later on like 'Guys, I just found out, If you just press Z and A at the same time while on replay mode, it pauses! (That's not true, just an example) That's a discovery, and it would be listed in the discoveries list.

I hope this gets somewhere.

antimatter

Smash Lord
sounds interesting.
on another note, I finally can ask you this: wtf is with your sig?

clace

Smash Journeyman
sounds interesting.
on another note, I finally can ask you this: wtf is with your sig?
Thanks for the quick reply. And on your other note, It's because I spent several million peas on a spy network which tells me everyones PC type, their network connection and other things. I did it because I am ********. That is all.

antimatter

Smash Lord
ah. now i can cross THAT off my "mysteries bugging the crap out of me list".

clace

Smash Journeyman
Just a tip I edit with studio 10 it is a very good reliable program.
Could you PM me with details about it? Like it's price and a description, in other words something to fit the template for editing programs I got up there on the original post.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
This is going to be really hard since you cannot control camera movement unless the game is paused, causing any sort of moving shots to be always to be from the normal brawl play perspective. Even using still shots is unlikely since all characters have still animations making paused shots stagnant and out of place. If anyone ever figures anything out I would love to know. This is a interesting dilemma.

clace

Smash Journeyman
This is going to be really hard since you cannot control camera movement unless the game is paused, causing any sort of moving shots to be always to be from the normal brawl play perspective. Even using still shots is unlikely since all characters have still animations making paused shots stagnant and out of place. If anyone ever figures anything out I would love to know. This is a interesting dilemma.
As I said above, the way to do it is to do the matches, make the footage, and then use replay mode to replay it, (In replay mode you can use camera angles, etc.).

That said It Is still hard to do it seeing as the camera angles are fairly basic, and you have to latch onto certain characters to do them, which would make it impossible to do scenery-only shots. But that's why I made this thread, to find ways to make making the Brawl machinima's easier and increase how good you can make them.

clace

Smash Journeyman
alrighty I sent you a PM
Thanks very much. I'll add that now.

And by the way, for anyone who doesn't know how to film In brawl, I've added a video called 'How I film in Brawl' In the Guides section.

EDIT: Added that. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix the camera on the scenario? There must be some way... Maybe some items could help with it. Maybe the cloaking device.

clace

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post but I need to bump this anyway, I can't let it die this early.

Does anyone know if the Action Replay for Wii can help at all?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll keep an eye on this if I ever decide to do

Fire Emblem - He don't see the filet.

I'm just wondering, if I want the footage seen to be 720x480, what dimensions should I capture at so I can get that after cropping in Virtual Dub?

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Was thinking about making one, but have no way of capturing it. Want to buy either a DVD recorder or a capture card. Which ones would be the best?

clace

Smash Journeyman
Was thinking about making one, but have no way of capturing it. Want to buy either a DVD recorder or a capture card. Which ones would be the best?
Get a Dazzle capture card, they're the easiest to use and usually get the best results.

By the way, GreatClayMonkey. I meant is there any way Action Replay for the wii (It exists by the way, look - http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/655/204345655.jpg) might have some codes that can break the camera angle limitations like it did in melee, and some other things.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
This is great! I'm interested in several Smash Machinimas, but... isn't this in the wrong section? Media anyone?

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
F.Y.I. There are plenty of people doing it, just look up Shippiddge on Youtube and check his vids.

clace

Smash Journeyman
What specifically would we be talking about when we say 'Brawl machinima'? It seems like it'd be a tough thing to accomplish with the type of game Brawl is. I mean, a real-life thing is always possible (like Street Fighter: TLY), but machinima seems a bit off.
There were loads with melee. At least 5 ongoing series'.

There are short machinima's made with brawl but no series' yet. That's what we're trying to rectify.

Top Bottom