• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K says this game rewards not approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nede

Smash Rookie
For those that missed his stream yesterday, he was basically saying it seems whenever he plays defensive and let's the other player come to him, he does much better. When he tried to play aggressive, he's punished for it and does worse. And right now this seems to be the general trend of the game. I believe he said even Brawl rewarded aggression more and that he could play very aggressive in some matchups.

Keep in mind that doesn't mean he thinks the game sucks or anything. It's just a criticism he has so far that seems valid. It is a bit sad to see notable players already saying stuff like this though.

Rajing Clue

3668-9813-3585
3DS FC
3668-9813-3585
Hmmm yeah, I tend to agree with him. I feel that is the case for many characters..

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
For those that missed his stream yesterday, he was basically saying it seems whenever he plays defensive and let's the other player come to him, he does much better. When he tried to play aggressive, he's punished for it and does worse. And right now this seems to be the general trend of the game. I believe he said even Brawl rewarded aggression more and that he could play very aggressive in some matchups.

Keep in mind that doesn't mean he thinks the game sucks or anything. It's just a criticism he has so far that seems valid. It is a bit sad to see notable players already saying stuff like this though.
I would have to disagree. Mew2King just kinda says things and shouldn't be taken seriously unless he's putting time into what he's saying. Even if he really does think this I'd still have to disagree. Unless of course he's playing a zoning character like Villager, Mega Man, or Duck Hunt. Naturally these characters do better at a distance.

But overall most characters get much more out of approaching then they do standing around. A lot of attacks in this game are safe on shield if properly spaced and a lot of attacks deal substantial damage to shield. Playing too defensively will reward you with a broken shield.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
He was also discovering things many other streamers knew about a relatively long time before. I don't doubt that he's done his homework at all, but he did also admit in that same stream that "i'm probably just jumping to conclusions".

Plus, it's not the wii u version.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
M2K is just another player, and said another opinion about the game.
I mean, this one topic gives us a lot to talk about (yes, the game has few design issues and it even punishes players for JUMPING), but it should not be triggered because someone on a stream had an idea....

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Everybody gots his own opinions.
I do better if I attack.
If I play defensive they destroy me.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
This is how it works in most fighting games. The only reason it doesn't work that way in melee is because defensive options are terrible.

In any ground-based footsies-based fighter, any time someone jumps at you, it's free damage with an anti-air. It also works that way in reverse. If you jump at a guy in Street Fighter, it's a risk, but it's very rewarding to do.

It's not "sad," it's just how good games work. Overextending gives your opponent a lot for free. Baiting opponents into overextending is rewarding and the risk is low. That's the mindgame.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
My experience is that on 3DS it is hard for me to approach defensive opponents, especially when I need to carefully space my attacks but have to work with a fiddly pad. But it is true, this game is not Melee, and you can see that as positive or negative as you like.

What I took from his stream yesterday was something completely different. At one point in the game, his opponent just fell (glitched) through Tortimer Island. Considering that Corneria also has glitch problems, I really worry about the game just being a mess in general.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
He's not wrong. Hell, there's even a character designed to automatically force any other opponent into a passive role.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
He's absolutely right. You'd have to be trying really hard NOT to see it. But I like the game anyway.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Right now it definitely seems that way but at same time it's way too soon to judge things.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I think we can stop saying it's too soon to judge things. Mew2King has probably already put at least 100 hours into the game, I have put about 20-25 hours into it... barring any miracle techs (that could also be patched out of existence) I think we can make some broad conclusions about what kind of game this is.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well, I think this depends really.

When I'm playing as Rosalina, I tend to play really defensive and try to get the opponent coming to me. I do approach with Rosalina when I think I can get a hit in.

However, when playing as Jigglypuff, I tend to be really aggresive and constantly approaching the opponent to get a forward air, pound, down air, or back air in.

I think the game is on the defensive side, but I think it still can reward approaching.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Just be smart about your offense. I've had games where I could roll over people and games where I couldn't. Be smart about it and you'll see the game's balanced between risk and reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom