• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lv. 9 Computer: Does it Help?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I fight Level 9's to practice my dodging, attacking, maybe. Level 9's are basically just reflex training, nothing else. I fight Level 9's on fast in special brawl and it's really helped my dodging and reflexes.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
Lets see, one of the small things that was repeated in this thread was the fact that computers will read the moves before the button presses and act accordingly.
To put a positive spin on it, if you can get through the amazing powershielding and crazy non-human reflexes, then it would be rather possible to perform them on a human.

I personally like the fact that computers dodge the crud out of everything, it is just better incentive to get past a clairvoyant defense.

Level 9s are really not that hard anyway, I just learn a lot of my spot dodging from them, and good spacing.

khoasgotrice

Smash Cadet
I agree with everyone that says Lvl 9s help your skills (dodge, tech, whatever). I also agree with the pattern thing screwing you up vs a human player. I fight lvl 7s because they aren't as far off a human player as lvl 9s. IMO, if you graphed the usefulness of all computer players, it would a parabola (upside down U-shape) with lvl 7 being the peak. If you can't grasp the picture, find a graphing calculator and graph X squared
edit: -X^2

X-squared would give you a right side up parabola, has to be negative

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
i use lvl 9 matches for dodging practicing...since they do have a tendency to be aggressive, i get the opportunity to dodge constantly...i like to think that all the practice has improved my ability to react to an opponent's attacks with well read and well timed dodges...considering Brawl seems to emphasize defensive strategy and adaptation, its helped me a lot

Samus_2021

Smash Journeyman
With Melee I gained all my "experience" (and I use the term loosely) fighting level 9 CPUs. When it came down to fighting real people, I received a rude awakening. The tactics that I gained from fighting CPUs went out the window because they were no where near the level of how a living breathing intelligence worked.

Now that Brawl's CPUs have been beefed up, I still don't like fighting them. If I want to play mind games on them, they seem to know when you're going to fake or when you’re actually going to attack. With a human player, you can play those mind games and will help you learn what works and what doesn't. Mind games don't work on Brawl's level 9 CPUs.

But they are not as useless as I'm making them seem. In my opinion, they do provide some training in aggressive tactics like keeping the pressure with ground/air combos. Personally, that's about it.

Bottom line: To get better, it's best to play against people/friends.

renshai117

Smash Cadet
My old training involved level 9 cpu's in melee. I would three stock them every time but the training was invaluable because it helped me perfect what to do when things went RIGHT. In other words, it made it so that whenever I got a chance to cause some pain, I always new exactly what to do. In my friend circle, no one really wanted to play my sheik after the first few years. In Brawl, the level 9 cpu's are harder, but less usefull to train against. They don't play ANYTHING like real people, and teach you to be afraid to use attacks which you shouldn't. I.e. when Im playing as wolf or fox and shine them, they actually perfect shield my shine and counter attack :confused: Then I went and played against the best player I know and shut him down with shining. After reading this thread, I've decided to train on level 7's from now on.

Top Bottom