• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's tier prediction?

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Luigi was pretty low in both previsous games, his aerials were nerfed in brawl but his smashes were mostly improved, what do you guys think luigi will be?

Jaykizzle

Smash Cadet
it will be interesting to see where luigi will end up....personally i think he's gonna be on the mid tiers. he's still floaty and can have a problem with air to ground combos but non the less, luigi's combos go well into a smash or the jab+shoryuken ( i still gotta practice that tho =P)

but believe me...i want him to be top tier!....luigi needs respect yo

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
Its alot easier to Up B in Brawl. His fair was nerfed, but I think his other aerials are just as good (bair is a little better), and his smashes seem a tad better too. Probably at least same place as he was, hopefully a little higer.

Swords4life44

Smash Rookie
I live in Ohio. Which is in the United States. Whi
Although I'm not a teir person and believe that it is the player and not the game (charachter), Luigi has been unchanged from the previous installment. The only things i have noticed that are different are that his attacks are more versitile and he is one of the easier charachters to use without seeming overpowered.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
Luigi's Smashes are just as fast as they were before, but significantly stronger. His Fair's loss of power makes it easier to combo chain. His Dair and Nair hit with surprising knockback. His Down B gives him excellent recovery and is easy to get opponents with.

Overall, he has both good agility and power, which working in tandem allow him to be surprisingly effective. After playing him just once, he got added to my list of backups.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I think Luigi's position will stay the same, but you never know when they might find the new WD:laugh:!

Eten

Smash Ace
Luigi is one of the higher/highest KO potential guys in brawl. He also has the option to do sick aerial strings and one of the best recoveries. Remember, before, luigi had a really ****ty recovery that brought him way down.

It'll take somebody skilled to really get the most out of luigi, of course, but the only thing keeping luigi from being very high tier is the fact he's got no real disjointed hitbox/range stuff going on like any sword guy or Olimar or something. Currently, no real "best" is surfacing among the cast, so tiers are going to be something a bit different than what they ever were in melee, that's for sure. So it might seem to be a presumptuous to talk about tiers at all, but Luigi is far from being a weakling and with the insanely improved recovery and higher KO power he's got almost all the makings of a top-notch character.

Mama_Luigi

Smash Rookie
Its alot easier to Up B in Brawl. His fair was nerfed, but I think his other aerials are just as good (bair is a little better), and his smashes seem a tad better too. Probably at least same place as he was, hopefully a little higher.
Totally agree with you on the smashes his fireballs also seem a bit better because I know I didn't really use them that much in melee, but now I find myself using them all too often in brawl.

I have a feeling he will move up in the tier list though.
I mean come on who doesn't love the guy for his ability to be goofy and still pwn you face in.

Flyingmonkey

Smash Cadet
Is Uair was buffed massively, and is super fast and has no lag. It can combo into shoyruken as well. His edgeguarding game is insane, because he's got so many options (including Bair stage spikes :D), and he can recover any vertical distance. Also, if you're careful not to get footstool jumped, you can come up from underneath a recovering person with the tornado, leaving you above them, and them with an interrupted/gimped recovery. His spotdodge is one of the quickest in the game, and with good spot dodging, you can pull off an Up B. Overall, he's very versatile, and has a lot of options. It also seems the the tornado is a good approach option in certain situations.

Eten

Smash Ace
I mean come on who doesn't love the guy for his ability to be goofy and still pwn you face in
I'm just quoting for truth.

I asked my friend why he uses the green missile so much.
He told me it was because it makes people feel stupid when they get hit by it. And he's right. Watching yourself get KOed because your opponent misfired a random green missile in your face at 85% makes you feel very dumb.

Same thing goes for the up-B. Just got fire jumped punch and KOed at 65%, camera zooms in just in time to watch luigi perform his mastered -landing on your head- maneuver.

Don't even get me started on how you feel when you receive a "smack smack smack" triple fair in the air by some mustached dude in overalls.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
High or at least mid. Good smashes, okay airs, slides.
I agree with most that has been said regarding his attacks.

Eten

Smash Ace
Sliding considered good or bad? I do know that luigi actually ends up sliding out of a lot of otherwise normal setups because of his low traction.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I'd say about middle tier. Although he's easy to use, there's nothing to really extract out of him or to really bring to a new level. I mean, Pikachu has Quick Attack Cancelling, meaning Pikachu's gameplay shoots up a new level of depth because of it. Luigi hasn't gotten anything that opens up his gameplay into some new level of depth.

Better recovery, power, and speed regarding his standard hits only pushes a character so far up the tier list. Most everyone above mid-tier has a metagame based around a central strategy or technique. Luigi has no specific or great techniqu to work with, and he's certainly not as great as Combo Queen Sheik in her Melee prime.

I do believe he can be around mid-tier if people decide to pick up Luigi over Mario. I don't believe he can make past mid-tier though.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
i reckon he'll be at least high.

Its funny (and annoying over time) when you attack a luigi with a strong attack, he shields it, and because of the new shielding system, can shield grab you. Of course, he still has the momentum of your strong attack, resulting in him clobbering you while you both slide backwards towards the edge, letting him back throw you to your dooooom....

oh and taunt has sweet knockback. That instantly makes him top tier.

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
I like the fact that he slides. If you get hit on the ground, sometimes sliding saves you from being comboed.

Jaykizzle

Smash Cadet
Sliding can also do the wavedashing thing...i mean using the momentum and then instantly going into a smash attack while yur still sliding...its a good approach tactic in my opinion

Shaftobi

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking he'll go up in tier a little bit. He's pretty easy to control and has some of the best recoveries in brawl. Minus wavedashing kinda hurts too though....

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
Sliding can also do the wavedashing thing...i mean using the momentum and then instantly going into a smash attack while yur still sliding...its a good approach tactic in my opinion
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If you dash at your opponent, neutral the Control Stick, and then charge a Usmash, you can slide towards your opponent while charging. Its pretty useful and works the best with Luigi, IMO.

C 3

Smash Ace
Probably about the same as in Melee. Middle-High tier. I'm hoping for high :D
Luigi was Low tier in melee and low in SSB only because he was thought of more as "mario's copy". He was a better character than mario in SSB IMO.

I like the fact that he slides. If you get hit on the ground, sometimes sliding saves you from being comboed.
Very true, helped avoiding waveshines in ssbm, and being chain grabbed in brawl.

I'd say towards the bottom. He plays kind of sluggishly like in melee, and now that he can't wavedash, it's harder for him to move.
If you wavedash as much as u should in melee, he wouldn't b sluggish at all. He moves relatively well and has an overall good set of moves.

IMO he will be mid tier, but i'm hoping for somewhere on the high tier list.

Eten

Smash Ace
This is a carry over from what I was thinking in another thread.

Up-B kills much lower than 85%. His up-B kills Mario off the top on final destination(not a low ceiling course) w/ no DI at 50%. It only takes a few more % to counteract any effect of DI or additional weight. Firejumppunch out of shield, jab to firejumppunch, dtilt to firejumppunch, or just walk into a firejumppunch to punish the lag on someone's attack... there are a lot of possible setups for a firejumppunch. His fsmash and upsmash aren't exactly lacking either(undestatement understatement understatement).

Luigi's tier placement is going to depend on players out there with the ability to execute Luigi's insanely low % KO power. Knocking out stock like that makes luigi WAY scarier than what you would expect if he were mid-tier.

But tiers are based on tournament results. The players behind the characters design tiers more so than the characters themselves. Luigi's metagame, the skill of luigi players, the number of players using luigi and doing well with him, the progression of luigi techniques, etc... all play a huge role. At the moment, I fully expect mario to place higher than Luigi simply because there is much more mario activity than luigi activity, despite the fact that Luigi clearly has mario beat.

C 3

Smash Ace
This is a carry over from what I was thinking in another thread.

Up-B kills much lower than 85%. His up-B kills Mario off the top on final destination(not a low ceiling course) w/ no DI at 50%. It only takes a few more % to counteract any effect of DI or additional weight. Firejumppunch out of shield, jab to firejumppunch, dtilt to firejumppunch, or just walk into a firejumppunch to punish the lag on someone's attack... there are a lot of possible setups for a firejumppunch. His fsmash and upsmash aren't exactly lacking either(undestatement understatement understatement).

Luigi's tier placement is going to depend on players out there with the ability to execute Luigi's insanely low % KO power. Knocking out stock like that makes luigi WAY scarier than what you would expect if he were mid-tier.

But tiers are based on tournament results. The players behind the characters design tiers more so than the characters themselves. Luigi's metagame, the skill of luigi players, the number of players using luigi and doing well with him, the progression of luigi techniques, etc... all play a huge role. At the moment, I fully expect mario to place higher than Luigi simply because there is much more mario activity than luigi activity, despite the fact that Luigi clearly has mario beat.
Agreed. Go Luigi!!!

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If you dash at your opponent, neutral the Control Stick, and then charge a Usmash, you can slide towards your opponent while charging. Its pretty useful and works the best with Luigi, IMO.
Wow, never noticed that before. Thanks, this will definitely be useful!

Top Bottom