• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Polturgust Grab

sanicdude246

Smash Apprentice
I got a hold of a picture with luigi's polturgust grab.
Polturgust luigi.png

What do you think about it. It's pretty good and the plunger works as a tether recovery.
Also thank you everybody for the support and sorry for the low activity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think its pretty cool. And it adds a secondary recovery which is good for Luigi as his recovery was very punishible and not as realiable as this would be. I embrace this choice from Nintendo. It also gives a nice, nostalgic tounch to him we all know and love.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
I think its pretty cool. And it adds a secondary recovery which is good for Luigi as his recovery was very punishible and not as realiable as this would be. I embrace this choice from Nintendo. It also gives a nice, nostalgic tounch to him we all know and love.
From what I have read their is no tether recovery with it.

sanicdude246

Smash Apprentice
In a gameplay video by a person. He went to a event with luigi and used his grab in air. He then tethered

Quillion

Smash Hero
Dammit, Sakurai. Was it really necessary to ruin a perfectly good move with more "canon"?

sanicdude246

Smash Apprentice
Sadly I must say that his throws are nerfed but it gives him more recovery options.

Quillion

Smash Hero
A good move ? Well, was Luigi's grab really good ? Also, will new grab deal damages when used midair ?
The problem is that ranged grabs are generally bad, and the only time they're good is when they're clearly supposed to be normal grabs but have overly big hitboxes.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I thought ranged grab were good because they have tether recovery, can deals damage in midair and can grab opponents form far away.

Can you tell why they're bad ? I want to be more in the competitive side now so every tips are good to take.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I thought ranged grab were good because they have tether recovery, can deals damage in midair and can grab opponents form far away.

Can you tell why they're bad ? I want to be more in the competitive side now so every tips are good to take.
They often have a lot of lag afterwards, so if you whiff them you can be punished easily. They're usually slower to start up too, so it's hard to actually land them.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I heard that his tornado can no longer be mashed for horizontal recovery to make up for this. Can you confirm?

Quillion

Smash Hero
They often have a lot of lag afterwards, so if you whiff them you can be punished easily. They're usually slower to start up too, so it's hard to actually land them.
That and they tend to miss at point blank, just to be "balanced".

This is why I'm sick of people wanting their characters to be more "canon".

GreenMachineGuy

Smash Rookie
I got a hold of a picture with luigi's polturgust grab.
View attachment 175094
What do you think about it. It's pretty good and the plunger works as a tether recovery.
Also thank you everybody for the support and sorry for the low activity.
Sucks for all Luigi mains, because this was a nerf. There’s videos online of Luigi and he has received some decently large buffs, mainly his jump height, the FAF for his bair and dair, and the fair spike hitbox, but the nerfs outweigh the buffs. Perfect shielding into UpB becomes riskier, cyclone provides next to no vertical height, tether grabs are bad (it’s like Link’s from Smash 4) and the knockback changes nerf combos.

Last edited:

GreenMachineGuy

Smash Rookie
I heard that his tornado can no longer be mashed for horizontal recovery to make up for this. Can you confirm?
I know for sure there’s no vertical recovery and I’m pretty sure there is little horizontal recovery.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
That and they tend to miss at point blank, just to be "balanced".

This is why I'm sick of people wanting their characters to be more "canon".
But Luigi wasn't underpowered in the first place, he was an above average character. Like, you like playing Luigi and are disappointed he's nerfed (of course, he also has some buffs). But from a big picture perspective, nerfing Luigi's grab does not make the game worse in any way...

Also there's no connection between changes to be more in line with canon and whether a change is a buff or nerf... DK and Link's new dash attacks in Smash 4 were more "canon" and also generally improvements. But I guess they do tend to be significant changes - so if you want characters not to change, I'd see why you'd be bothered. Maybe you wish DK and Link had their dash attacks from Brawl. But never changing veterans' moves sounds boring.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This new zair gives Luigi a means to contend with a swordfighter's reach, at least a little. While fireballs will be used way more in general, the plunger not having projectile priority will be key for challenging them in the air.

Whether or not this change makes his grab game worse or not... how do we know he's still reliant on it? Tons of characters got their bread-and-butter throw combos and their grabs in general nerfed. Why not see what dash-cancelling does for him?

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Hello, it’s me, G. Stache. Anyways, hiya, most of you probably don’t know me but I used Looigi in Smash 4 and while I’m no Elegant I’d like to think I know quite a bit about the character. Been using the sucker for years. And looking at the info of what we know so far (new grab, sucky down b, reduced landing lag on aerials, increased running speed(?)) I think Luigi’s greatest strengths from smash 4, close ranged fighting/boxing, damage racking and edguguarding (ESPECIALLY edgeguarding lol) have been nerfed overall. Won’t get into down b nerfs because we all know how much that will hurt Luigi’s recovery mix ups and gimping, but what I will say is that for what Luigi now might lack in his old strengths he may very well make up for with his new toys to play with.

Let’s start with the tether grab. Obviously not the grab any of us necessarily wanted to see (as in nobody wanted to see this because we’ve seen how good tether grabs have been overall in smash, lol) but this one doesn’t look that bad from the limited eye test we’ve been able to use. It seems to come out rather quickly for a tether grab, has decent range and doesn’t seem to have much endlag. I obviously don’t have any numbers or statistics to back this claim up, but it kinda reminds me of Lucas’ smash 4 grab. And that’s not a bad grab at all. One of the better - if not the best - tether grabs in smash 4 in my very humble opinion. Plus keep in mind that smash games have been consistently improving tether grabs from game to game endlag-wise to the point where I can comfortably say that the likes of Lucas’ and (Toon) Link’s tethers were an actual piece of their kit that posed some sort of threat. So don’t automatically assume that a tether grab will automatically destroy Luigi’s viability right away. Give some time to lab out just how reliable this new grab is. But, assuming that it is a decent grab, it gives Luigi another thing that he severely lacked in Smash 4 and that is (Wait for iiiiiiiit...)

A mid range game. Luigi and his short range and below average tilts made for a very underpowered mid range game. In the same game where Bayo and Mewtwo had crazy good d tilts (and everything else tbh), where bowser and DK had long limbs to poke and prod at the masses, where Rosalina had that arse hole sidekick of hers that always picked on OUR favorite sidekick and where Sheik did whatever Sheik thing she felt like doing because any form of the neutral state was what I call Sheik’s World (kinda like Disney World but boy howdy is it less fun. Not overpriced though. If you really want to see overpriced just take a look at that Roy DLC my goodness). But look at what Luigi had in the mid range game: fireball, shield, a short hop aerial or two and prayers. Personally, I usually relied on the fireballs and the prayers. His mid range to long range game, to be quite frank, sucked. And we’re lucky he had decent ground mobility and a God-like close range game and advantage state. But between tether grab, a new Zair and increased run speed (?) (I’m pretty sure he’s faster on the ground but please someone confirm or deny that claim if you know for sure) he suddenly has the tools to at least somewhat contend in the midrange. Tether grab and Zair should compliment his fireball very well since fireballs by their lonesome can be played around fairly easily provided the character has a reliable tool outside of shield to combat them. But Zair, provided that it’s an average Zair and will do basically what Zairs did in smash 4, can contend range wise with just about any aerial that Luigi otherwise couldn’t outspace (like sword-related aerials for instance) and his tether grab now can punish mis-spaced tilts and pokes with a Luigi combo. An increased run speed along with smashes and tilts cancelable out of run should grant Luigi a good way to effectively throw out strong and low risk moves to bully opponents from a greater space away than we were previously accustomed to (dash canceled d smash/ f smash sounds particularly threatening in the right situations tbh). Finally lag reduction on Luigi’s aerials means that short hop aerials become that much more threatening when in the opponents in range.

Overall I DO think Luigi will be worse off in Ultimate than he was in smash 4 just because more and more characters will inevitably cause some sort of power creep and down b nerfs honestly suck a LOT. But he has the tools now to create a more balanced game from the looks of it. I admit freely that I am mostly going off of eye test and speculation and theorycrafting. But just keep in mind that for every change that Luigi has gotten, some aspect of his game changes with it. And just because it’s changed does not mean his kit is ruined. It’s just different (Again, unless it’s down b lol, big mcthankies Sakurai). Try to keep an open mind and let’s continue to see how the character looks the more we get to see him. And golly was this a longer write up than what I originally wanted to do, especially with the limited info we have so far. But I hope I gave some of you guys an adequate reason or two not to fear some of these changes. Top Luigi players will adapt to these changes, I honestly do believe that. So let’s try to adapt as well :).

Top Bottom