• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

luigis d air spike hitbox information.

LuigiL

Smash Rookie
Sorry kigbariom to be honest I had no idea when this thread was started, but in my defense I was still curious and thought it would be best to ask in an already made thread.

elheber thanks for the input, I've been practicing this move but its much more difficult to pull off during a live match than say with a CPU.

I have found, however, that if you try and imagine that you are hitting the opponent with your head it lands more often...that sorta works for me, but you're right, there are an arsenal of other attacks that prove much more reliable and are easier to pull off.

But if feels great when you actually spike someone to their doom!!

vKo

Smash Cadet
I usually get my spikes while performing rising vAirs on ledgegrabbing opponents.
Not stage spiking but the real thing.

That's the only time I can though. :(

kigbariom

Smash Lord
My apologies LuigiL, I forgot you're new here. NOT a great first impression. :(
But I have trouble with the dair, I know the easy area to pull it off is the characters head near Luigi's hands, but I need to use the dair more off stage. When I use dair it is normally after a SH, because the D3 I play uses his waddle dee throw a lot. I'm starting to use it more off stage, like out of edgegrabs. It actually works as a K.O move without spiking, at 100% +.

weegeedisco

Smash Rookie
Just a little tip, try to get partially under the enemy you are going to spike so you eliminate the chance of the feet hitting. Spread the luigi!

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
If you want to get your feet wet with spiking, go to training and practice dthrows to SH spikes. on different characters. It helped me get better with it in the technical aspect. Applying it is a whole different ballgame though.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Wow this tip helped me almost perfect the spike.
Yay I help :3. I have a friendly from yesterday where I spike Diddy PERFECTLY for the win =D. I'll post it tonight if I have time.

Well not really ftw, but i took a stock off xD.

WIGI

Smash Champion
spiking isn't THATTTT hard come one guys =P

i only do it like 5 times a match..buit tahst also all i practise preetyy much. if i spent time on otehr things id probably be better overall.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
spiking isn't THATTTT hard come one guys =P

i only do it like 5 times a match..buit tahst also all i practise preetyy much. if i spent time on otehr things id probably be better overall.
Are you opponents walking in with the "I want to get spiked mentality?" Cause the people I fight don't like to take spikes to the face...so I can't land it as much.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Spiking isn't hard....If your referring to taunt spiking lol.... Ledgedrop dair is where I get my spikes from.
Yeah i can vouch for that >_>. I usually can't off ledge spike cause I'll get pwned by the priority of the other player's UpB. Particularly Mario's.

DK2

Smash Apprentice
I think the dair spike is really hard to do, but is there a easier way to do it. I'm sorry I feel so embarassed.

Brndn

Smash Apprentice
Hi..I'm new to this board, but i wouldn't mind posting a vid for you guys. I 've got most of the dair down so i think i could put a vid up on how to do it. I'll also try to show some combo-possibilties..cause i've also created some uses it for it. That WOP combo sounds like it would work...really hard to set hat up though. To line up the dair at the end of the Wop with the oponent takes skill and timing.

Brndn

Smash Apprentice
Yes Wigi you do have a good number of dairs in your vid. I was gonna make like a tutorial kind of style thing. The video will probably be by the end of the week. (saturdayish)

NRD4toonlink

Smash Cadet
I can only dair spike off stage, only on stage... and i mess up the combo's lsisted before. I will practice it muhc more but i find it hard. i ahve the timing but actually spiking is harder than it looks...

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
im not sure if this is right at all/ will help anyone but when i tried it the hit box appeared to be on the elbow when the attack comes out
just started using luigi a month or so ago and am fairly new here sorry if its lame :|

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Don't give up on the dair spike, I'm getting better at it, I use it like crazy offstage though, I try to get slightly above and FF into the spike, getting with the hands, but this only seems to work on characters about Luigi's size and smaller.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Something of interest, perhaps:

Everyone here knows about stage builder, yes? Well, each grid block's height is close to, if not exactly, the height of Luigi's second jump. Keeping that in mind: a few days ago, I tried my hand at the spike.

The way I practiced a bit of Luigi's D-air spike was basically by chucking opponents off the edge in training mode and in vs. mode and watching their recoveries. Given conscious recognition of the length of Luigi's second jump and some prediction of the CPUs' trajectories and/or DI after they were sent on their trips half-way to the blastzone, I decided that I should try a certain method of spiking them. Run off the edge, second jump, and then D-air(spike).

Given that I was jumping up towards my opponents, I made as conscious an effort as possible to attempt to spike with the upper part of Luigi's body ( \ <-- this side, the side tilted upwards), to avoid getting caught within an unfriendly aerial just as I jumped.

Also, this appears, to me at least, be a pretty good gimp if one can manage to combo the opponent from 0% to the edge and F-throw them. Moderate damage from the combo should give the throw some semi-decent range (if not damaged highly enough, attempt to set up a B-throw I guess), but not place the opponent excessively far away from the edge. Running off of the edge and either fastfalling before second jumping or waiting before second jumping or second jumping immediately (depending on how high up or far away the opponent is from Luigi) can lead into some interesting spikes.

((If someone has already done this in match-ups that are up on Youtube, I'd love to see them - there's no way this idea is original :) ))

Spiking people who wait too long on the edge as mentioned by Hippie (or Kigbariom? idk...) is definitely something I have to start trying...

OH OH OH! And - if one makes a stage in stage builder with just a few jump-through platforms anchored in empty space, one can practice the second jump->D-air(spike)'s spacing. It isn't necessary to have an opponent to do it for the first couple of tries. By dropping down and second jumping and D-airing in training mode with the camera zoomed in, one can see Luigi's hands spinning. If that whoosh of air (I don't have any other word for it) is barely peeking over the edge, the spacing of the second jump relative to the platform was done correctly...

^_^ Just a few things I felt I should share.

EDIT:
Oh oh - and because you're jumping up as the opponent is coming towards you at an angle rather than chasing the person from above with a fast-fall (assuming they're trying to recover after the throw, of course [which they should otherwise they may taste a second jump->U-air]), characters larger than luigi *should* be spikeable (sp?)... But I haven't tried that yet...

Top Bottom