• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Changes from Brawl to SSB4

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
From SSB WIKI:

So far, Luigi has undergone many visual changes to his attacks, but appear to be the same. He has also gained a new Final Smash.

• Luigi has gained the ability to wall jump.
  • Forward aerial appears to have greater range and knockback.
  • Green Missile now cancels when charged past maximum.
  • Luigi has a new jumping animation where he scuttles, similar to what he does in the Mario games.
  • Neutral attack's first two jabs appear to have new animations.
    • The final hit will also send Luigi forward.
  • Luigi has a new down throw, where he throws the opponent on the ground and forcefully sits on the opponent, similar to King Dedede's down throw.
Like Mario, Luigi has a more cartoonish and sleeker appearance instead of the more realistic look he had in Brawl, that's more inline with his appearance in the Mario games. Like King Dedede and several other characters, his facial expressiveness has been exaggerated even further to reflect his characteristic cowardliness. Unlike previous installments, Luigi's chest will always be facing the foreground, just like Mario.
Do you think the ability to Wall Jump will affect Luigi's viability? Also his Forward Air is seemingly way better.

Green Missile cancel is pretty awesome, and I wish I could see the new Down Throw.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
His down throw is very nice. It looks like a nice combo starter.

Luigi's combo game actually seems a lot better in this game in general. I think he was able to continuously up tilt his opponent and then go into an up air or even Luigi Cyclone. His down tilt pops the player into the air, so I think follow ups are possible. Luigi just needs to find a way to break his opponent's defenses so he can start doing those potential combos.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Apparently his dash attack is the best in game now, from a few (I was afraid to use it when I played thinking it was bad still)

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Apparently his dash attack is the best in game now, from a few (I was afraid to use it when I played thinking it was bad still)
Wait what? How is that even possible? Are you sure they weren't being Sarcastic?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wait what? How is that even possible? Are you sure they weren't being Sarcastic?
Nope, a few opinions from around me while playing noticed that if you land the first hit, the rest are guaranteed, can lead to some combos or something. Amazing Ampharos I think his name was on here has a detailed post on it saying it's the best dash attack in game too.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Nope, a few opinions from around me while playing noticed that if you land the first hit, the rest are guaranteed, can lead to some combos or something. Amazing Ampharos I think his name was on here has a detailed post on it saying it's the best dash attack in game too.
I need to see his new Down Throw and his upgraded Dash Attack in action, know any videos?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYVxxHE-5k

That down throw definitely leads to combos too. Dash attack isn't used super effectively in this video though. He grabs with one hand now too, for whatever reason.
Holy jeez, I was worried that Luigi would not get any changes. Theses changes are HUGE for Luigi players. That Down Throw is SO GOOD!

Sakurai and his Balance team knows what's up. I would even guess that all of the characters are like in A Tier and some are in B Tier now, but all characters might finally Viable!

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Holy jeez, I was worried that Luigi would not get any changes. Theses changes are HUGE for Luigi players. That Down Throw is SO GOOD!

Sakurai and his Balance team knows what's up. I would even guess that all of the characters are like in A Tier and some are in B Tier now, but all characters might finally Viable!
A lot of impressions say Zelda is somehow worse than Brawl in this game so far...I didn't use her so I wouldn't know. Other than that, yeah. I used Luigi in Smash run and FFA. I can definitely say he's faster. Also has a bit more traction. That could just be the game physics though. F Smash still has stupid good knockback too.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
If Luigi can find a really good way to cover ground and get through his opponent's defenses, he'll be amazing.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
I actually got to try out Luigi myself at the Best Buy demo I went to and can definitely say that he feels REALLY good to use in this game! I pretty much always used Luigi, so I felt at home regardless, but yes his Dash attack is crazy in how much more useful it is compared to the other 3 Smash games. I too was excited about the Down throw that looks like a ground pound now.

He also has a few aesthetic things like when he comes to a stop after running, he goes into a similar animation as that from Smash 64 where comes to a skid, haha.

His Luigi Cyclone does not seem to push/fling characters away anymore when used in the air, but rather it pulls them in for more hits, more akin to the ground version. It also does not travel as far horizontally when on the ground, but it is still a good recovery move.

Another particular thing I noticed was that he can slide upon landing from the freefall of his Up B. I landed on a slope, so maybe it was just that, but I'm pretty sure Luigi just planted on the ground when landing from an Up B in Brawl.
Those are my two cents on Luigi there.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I actually got to try out Luigi myself at the Best Buy demo I went to and can definitely say that he feels REALLY good to use in this game! I pretty much always used Luigi, so I felt at home regardless, but yes his Dash attack is crazy in how much more useful it is compared to the other 3 Smash games. I too was excited about the Down throw that looks like a ground pound now.

He also has a few aesthetic things like when he comes to a stop after running, he goes into a similar animation as that from Smash 64 where comes to a skid, haha.

His Luigi Cyclone does not seem to push/fling characters away anymore when used in the air, but rather it pulls them in for more hits, more akin to the ground version. It also does not travel as far horizontally when on the ground, but it is still a good recovery move.

Another particular thing I noticed was that he can slide upon landing from the freefall of his Up B. I landed on a slope, so maybe it was just that, but I'm pretty sure Luigi just planted on the ground when landing from an Up B in Brawl.
Those are my two cents on Luigi there.
I seriously can't fathom the words "Luigi's Dash Attack" and "Useful" in the same sentence.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know, when I heard Luigi has not only a good dash attack, but potentially the BEST one, I couldn't believe it either!

Oh, also I think Luigi's fireball is 1.5 times faster. Could be just me.

Folt

Smash Ace
I think probably the biggest change I'm gonna have to get used to is to not think of his dash attack as essentially "garbage" now.

Other than that, love his new jab and grab animations, and his new d-throw.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Would this be enough to send him into D-C tier? I never really payed attention to tiers...
Having a guaranteed-fullhit-multihit-combo as a Dash Attack plus a new Down Throw that can Combo (plus more Range + Missle Fakeout) will probably send him into B-Tier upwards.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Eh, still having poor range against sword is still going to make it hard for him to get in, and depends on how much he slides back when powershielded. Fireball is better, but still not what I would call good. Still gimpable too. His overall speed may be faster, but so is everyone else's.

He does seem better in this game, but if he doesn't get out of middle tier due to the same problems in Brawl to a lesser extent) I wouldn't be surprise.

Luigi just doesn't have anything super exploitable like most top tiers (bananas, priority, range, lasers,etc etc)

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Isn't his bair buffed by a lot aswell? More damage and killing power?

Having a dthrow to upb guaranteed (if possible) is pretty sick as well. It boosts luigi's killing range in the 80% area or even less against smaller characters.

Btw what does dash combo in?

I'm most definitely using Luigi in smash 4.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Isn't his bair buffed by a lot aswell? More damage and killing power?

Having a dthrow to upb guaranteed (if possible) is pretty sick as well.

That would be too good to be true, any move that guarantees an up B from Luigi would be pretty broken (I guess jab is the closest...especially on Ivysaur.)

Yeah, I think his bair is about 14-16%, but don't quote me on that.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
That would be too good to be true, any move that guarantees an up B from Luigi would be pretty broken (I guess jab is the closest...especially on Ivysaur.)

Yeah, I think his bair is about 14-16%, but don't quote me on that.
True. Remember falcon and jiggs in melee though (knee and rest). Or ice climbers in brawl that could kill of 0% with 1 grab. I wouldn't be surprised if Luigi will have the magic combination this time. From the looks of the gameplay video dthrow to any aireal/down b seemed possible. Why not upb?

Twewy

Smash Lord
"Luigi has a new down throw, where he throws the opponent on the ground and forcefully sits on the opponent, similar to King Dedede's down throw. "

I'm calling this the Rear of Luigi and you can't stop me.

Folt

Smash Ace
Saw a Luigi player do a dash attack on the current twitch stream against Zelda. Twice in a row. Which knocked her off the stage to the right.

They were playing on the train stage so she landed on the rails and got KO'd almost immediately. It was awesome!

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Luigi's double jump is that foot-flutter like Yoshi.... Interesting. Seems like that would make his double-jump similar in mechanics too. Maybe double-jump cancelling then right?

And not only does the dash attack lock you in but it has some decent knockback too on the last hit(Not sure if it did that in Brawl). It still looks very punishable on block tho

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Luigi's double jump is that foot-flutter like Yoshi.... Interesting. Seems like that would make his double-jump similar in mechanics too. Maybe double-jump cancelling then right?

And not only does the dash attack lock you in but it has some decent knockback too on the last hit(Not sure if it did that in Brawl). It still looks very punishable on block tho
From what I've seen it doesn't work like Yoshi's jump, and that makes sense, as that isn't how it is in the game.

ThatGeoDude

Smash Rookie
NNID
GeoDude
3DS FC
5241-2073-4660
Saw that video. I'm really excited for how the new Luigi is going to play. Looks like he is going to have a ton of potential this time around.

Will probably still have the same problems when it came to approaching in brawl, but we'll see.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Does anyone have a clear video of the dash attack? How exactly is it as good as everyones saying?
They say it's good because after the first hit the rest are guaranteed and you can't DI out of it. The last hit has enough knockback to keep opponents from punishing your ending lag. I can't remember how it is in Brawl but in Melee someone could DI out it or easily punish you even if you got every hit.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
They say it's good because after the first hit the rest are guaranteed and you can't DI out of it. The last hit has enough knockback to keep opponents from punishing your ending lag. I can't remember how it is in Brawl but in Melee someone could DI out it or easily punish you even if you got every hit.
Yesssssss I hope this stays in the final version of the game

ThatGeoDude

Smash Rookie
NNID
GeoDude
3DS FC
5241-2073-4660
Yesssssss I hope this stays in the final version of the game
Same here! I was never fond of it's older versions lol. I also see that his down grab is beast now! Can't wait to try him out! ^^

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
I heard somewhere that Luigi's up b was significantly nerfed in terms in knockback. Does anybody have any input on this or landed it a few times in the demo to know how strong or weak it is? I ko'd little mac at 100, but I'm not sure how heavy he is. I feel like it's weaker than brawl but a little stronger than melee.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I heard somewhere that Luigi's up b was significantly nerfed in terms in knockback. Does anybody have any input on this or landed it a few times in the demo to know how strong or weak it is? I ko'd little mac at 100, but I'm not sure how heavy he is. I feel like it's weaker than brawl but a little stronger than melee.

I couldn't say, I found it really hard to try and land. If it is weaker, that's bad news if it retains it's cool down from Brawl.

What's they do? Steal some power from the Up B into his now spammed dash attack? :p

Top Bottom