• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi..

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Need help when going against this man in green.
I SHB alot and as soon as i see an opening a rush in with a dash/gatling combo/U-tilt, but he seems to overpower me in the air EVEN when im shielding. Tips and chips please?

Daredevil

Smash Rookie
All I can say is watch out for all his smashes, bair, and UB. Try to test out your reflector to use to your advantage. It can mess up the opponent's flow and cause him to retreat.

D

Deleted member

I think Luigi may turn out to be one of Falco's bad or neutral matchups. You really can't chaingrab him more than once or twice at best, not to mention Luigi's crazy aerial priority; Falco basically just can't match him in the air. But you have to remember to play to your advantages in this matchup; Luigi has no way to deal with the lasers other than air dodge. He also seems to have a lot of trouble with range... Use the reflectors great range to your advantage. You can completely shutdown his grounded game with your lasers, reflector, and tilts. And as a general strat, make sure to edgeguard Luigi a ton. If you can laser him out of his down B rise and his Side B, he might be done for (his up B is very easy to edgehog, just time it correctly).

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be best to stay on the ground, since Luigi's aerial game is WHAT unless you can outrange him, which you probably can't with Falco. Lasering is probably useless on the ground, though, since Luigi can crawl under them. You can still short hop laser to prevent him from going up into the air.
Reflector will probably outrange his moves, and his recovery, as mentioned above, isn't extremely difficult to gimp, and is really predictable.

why am I giving advice on this when I don't even use falco aaaaaaaargh

bowz

Smash Journeyman
ipreferpi, i gotta say you're right, and your name is awesome. =]

Basically, falco>luigi on the ground and luigi>>>>>>falco in the air.
The best way to keep luigi on the ground is lasers. So they come in handy.
Replace chaingrabbing with dthrow, dair, pivot grab chains to rack up damage fast.
It's hard to spike luigi because he has the jump, down b, up b recovery which gets him back from just about anything.
Bair for a good edge guard when he's returning.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
I see, i even find myself having difficulties fighting the Luigi AI at level 9 which frustrates me. So Laserspam = Luigi? or just spacing in general?

clowsui

Smash Legend
haha i secondary luigi so here's some advice
- never take to the air, holy f*ck luigi is too **** good there. if you're in the air, shoot a laser or plan to do a killing move; the latter you HAVE to make sure it hits otherwise you're in for at least 2 aerials
- careful about distancing yourself, luigi tornado is ridiculous in terms of priority (i'm pretty sure it clanks with whorenado) and travels a lot quicker than you expect
- don't get too shield-drop happy at higher percents, luigi can do a number of setups -> upB or can upwards tilted fsmash you
- for the love of god do NOT pick BF or YI against Luigi. platforms belong to him; a good Luigi will abuse the UpB through the platforms when you're least expecting it. not to mention his recovery is phenomenal due to the lack of janky edges there, he'll slide up on them with the tornado while making approaches impossible. also yoshi's island is just a really good stage for Luigi in general; I think its just the fact that his tight control over the small stage helps a lot
- what you should pick, instead, is something like FD and SV where aerial control is a lot more limited and where your lasers can control the approach. if you really want to f*ck luigi over then go to lylat, it's impossible for him to move on there without getting attacked by Falco - the tilting and the weird platforms make you faster than he is
- make sure to use ftilts and shines to space, it's also a smart idea to use utilt once in a while to toss him up above for a bair to bait the airdodge; it'll either go through or you can dj -> instabair for a nice sweetspotted 13%
- do not underestimate Luigi's recovery. It is phenomenal in terms of distance gained and for Falco it's difficult to get inside it

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Nice, thanks clowsui. Oh and one question, Luigi's UpB, other than the sweetspot hit, when does the coin hit actually hurt like is the hitbox of his UpB during the whole jump(weak) or only at start-up(powerful)? I knoe its one of the two but i want to knoe how long the coin hit's hitbox is.

clowsui

Smash Legend
the hitbox maintains throughout the whole upB but the strongbox maintains only when he is making the intial propelling (i.e. when he starts the jump), after that the weakbox (coin) maintains, doing 1% damage.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Luigi has a jab, grab/?tilt setup combo that ends UpB, which seems to kill falco at around 50% on some stages. don't let Luigi get into your personal space. If at anytime he happens to miss the UpB during the match, I recommend Dair/spike to stage with followup grounded attacks or tech chase. This is normally better than geting off one attack in the air. Good luck.

Top Bottom