• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Versus The World: A New Luigi Matchup Discussion

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That Peach was fantastic, I also watched that zero guy play a G&W and he destroyed him. Peach has a lot of options vs. luigi, most peaches approach with their dair and it's extremely dangerous. They can dair up to three times with their float ability and can combo out of the dair into dsmash, nair, bair and the most dangerous....fair. They can also aerial DI in the same league as Wario, so they can attack and retreat without risking being attacked. Also turnips are a pain and against Luigi they can be deadly in her edgeguarding game, watch out for them. A lot of times Peach players will just pull a turnip to get you off of your game, your so worried about not getting hit with it that it automatically gives them the advantage, don't fall into this trap. In this matchup fireballs are your best friends to help stop approaches. It's also hard to combo Peach because of her floaty mechanics, the only thiong I think Luigi has in this matchup is how early Peach can be killed. I hatre to say it, but I think this matchup is 60:40 Peach.
I agree with you 60:40 Peach after rethinking it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
TBH, the peach didn't look all special. My friend who I fight everyday fights somewhere similar to that.or even better. I've stated somewhere that im my earlier post I think. Anyways. Of course Dair is a great approach. It's a shield eater, its a nice combo starter, hard to punish, the best you can do is roll and gtfo.

Well duh its 60:40 >_>

Edit: Spark i think you gotta reedit the peach post, it looks messy

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I have a bunch of copyapastas on this but for some reason they seem to get messed up. I don't even know why Green Missile is there. <_<

I'll fix it when I can...After all this work...

Next time when I update expect some more detailed matchups.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
i wish i could come up with half the stuff you guys do. i just dont have the experience as the only people i get to play are my little bro and two mates, one is decent and the other is too easily mind gamed. its hard finding good smash in scotland :(

-Mars-

Smash Hero
i wish i could come up with half the stuff you guys do. i just dont have the experience as the only people i get to play are my little bro and two mates, one is decent and the other is too easily mind gamed. its hard finding good smash in scotland :(
online? I know there is a decent smash scene out in England........the lag wouldn't be that bad and it would be good to practice against different people.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Peach vs Luigi

Okay, since the last few comments were made on Peach I thought I would throw my two cents in:

Peach:peach: vs Luigi:luigi2:: 50:50 or 40:60 in Luigi's Favour

Why?:

KO Moves: To me, and you would probably have to consult a Peach main to verify this, the biggest problem Peach has in this match-up is her ability to come up with reliable KO moves. And that's what I would say sets this in favour of Luigi. For the most part, Peach will have to rely on her Fair, Side-B, and Golf Club to do the job. Yeah there are other options too, but to be honest, many of her KO opportunities are limited and require the opponent to be at high percentages. A perfect example of this is in the following link, which is Void (Luigi) vs Crystal (Peach)...
Here is the Link...

Although she isn't playing the best Peach in that match, the problem can occur at any level. Meanwhile, Luigi has more KO moves than he really needs to be honest. Between FJP, B-throw (Peach is light enough I suppose), and Nair, do we even need our smashes......?
The answer is yes, but I was just proving a point :]. We have too many options. So firstly, Luigi has more KO options at this point over Peach.

Floating Approach: Secondly, Peach's like to float approach. It's unique to their character, and it provides lots of unique approaches as well. Fortunately Luigi has a fair few options to counteract this approach. If Peach is float approaching from a distance, we have our fireballs to deal some extra damage before she arrives. If she takes enough fireballs to the face, they may even reduce the amount of floating they are doing. Anyway, fireballs are a good projectile against this approach (sure, it's not a laser, but it'll do).
Peach's also like to float into a D-air. In the matches I've played against Peach mains, there is opportunity Luigi's U-smash to outprioritize her D-air. The easiest way to do this is to be facing away from Peach, so that the fastest part of the smash (the back of Luigi's head), hits Peach. Although this is far from perfect, I've had it work a fair percentage of the time. Spot-dodging first will increase the chance too, but do you really want to be hanging below Peach for that long?
Another great counter for the float is our tornado. We can have it rise as needed and it has very good priority. Although the damage wont be high, Peach doesn't have a great deal of moves that will be able to punish you out of it in time. Maybe a tilt or b-air, depending on how close she is afterwards.

Aerials: We also have the advantage in the air. Luigi boasts fairly fast aerials, and with our N-air being a KO move at high percentages, we can mostly rule the air. That having been said, Peach was made for aerial combat, so we need to be careful. Her f-air is strong and has an okay range considering...
Her N-air can also pop out suprisingly quick.

Other Stuff to Watch Out For:

Turnip: Luigi's off-edge game is pretty horrible to say the least. A Peach can rack up a fair amount of damage when taking advantage of our slow aerial movement to get back on stage. At high %'s I've even seen a n00by Luigi get an extra 50% just from getting hit by Turnips as he tried to get over the edge. So....yeah...avoid that. Turnips in general shouldn't pose a threat, p-shielding and air dodges should take care of it.

Side B: If she hasn't used it for the most part of the match, you should probably expect it. It can kill.

F-air: Obvious one here... Her f-air is pretty powerful, so you should watch out. Once again, Luigi's slow aerial speed will make it hard so air-dodges work best. Keep in mind her aerials are slower, so it may even pay to f-air her before she gets it out.

Gimping: Be careful using your missile when recovering, Peach can easily float across and F-air or Side-B the lag.

Other Stuff Luigi Can Do Here:

B-air WoP: This works well against a Peach in the air. Her f-air is slow once again, and our B-air has a fairly good range, so this is definitely usable in this matchup.

Fireballs: Fireballs are great against Peach, she is fairly slow approaching and is fairly linear in doing so. I'm not sure what the Fireball thread says about the attacks she can cancel it with, but a Peach will probably dodge as a first priority, rather than risk a laggy attack just to stop a fireball.

Tornado: It needs to be said again, this is a great move for this match-up. See above.

I hope this has helped a bit, I've been lurking a while and finally decided to post here. Hope it wasn't in vein eh...I kinda focused on Luigi's advantages the most...:luigi:

I hope this helps the thread stay alive for all it's worth...:ohwell:

Top Bottom