• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Q/A Thread

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
So I saw this in the MK boards and I wanted to give it a try. It reminds me of my favorite thread in the Tactical Discussion and I think this will reduce a lot of spam. If you have a question about Luigi ask here instead of posting a thread about it. I, along with a number of other people around here, can help you out.

So if you have quick questions over
Moves
Finishers
Approaches
Follow ups
Defenses
Edgeguarding
Combos
Matchups
Or other random stuff

Ask away...

TheMann

Smash Ace
We used to have one of these, but it died.

Anyone know good strategies for fighting Falco?
I can tell you a bit about falco. I used to hate this match up but then I realized you can't let falco get comfortable and have distance. You have to always be in his grill fighting him. Easy way to get close is Luigi's down+b. His chain grab shouldn't be a problem either since you can just nair out of it.

I hope that helped a little. If not what is the specific problem you have fighting Falcos?

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
well basically dont let him pick stages where there is a large flat section that just screams SHDL

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Sorry :( I'm a kidder you know, haha.

But really I may actually have a question for all of you. Do you think there is ever a time or place for Luigi's dash attack? The only times I ever even try to use it is... well never, it sucks. Thoughts?

WIGI

Smash Champion
edge guarding its gewd. otehr than that.. not really, its not AS punishable as melee, but its still easly sheildgrabed and stuff.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
I think Luigi has the ability to pick it. Like against large character like Ike and Ganon is simple to attack with fireball then run away with a tornado then use another to come all the way back and be in their face again.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Sorry :( I'm a kidder you know, haha.

But really I may actually have a question for all of you. Do you think there is ever a time or place for Luigi's dash attack? The only times I ever even try to use it is... well never, it sucks. Thoughts?
You use it to edgeguard and you use it as a pseudo-jab lock for sorts. if you hit someone off the ceiling in LM and they don't tech the ceiling or the floor (situational) you can immediately follow them with a dash attack with little risk of punishment. Otherwise, use the move before the enemy hits the ground to land, they won't be able to powershield the knockback hit, unless they DI to the floor? Idk that hasn't happened.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I think Luigi has the ability to pick it. Like against large character like Ike and Ganon is simple to attack with fireball then run away with a tornado then use another to come all the way back and be in their face again.
True against big characters, but you can do the same, and more in smashville and BF, using the platforms.
I just have too many bad memories of camping DDD's and spammy Falcos so I don't pick it.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Thanks for the falco input... I knew about nair out of the chain grab (I nair out of everything :)) but the lasers really annoy me... at least they're good powershielding practice.

Umm, how about this. We Luigis have always loved corneria, but I was wondering what are our preferences are for starter stages only? Here's mine:

Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination

I'm willing to bet that other Luigis will like Lylat Cruise more... but that stage is out to kill me, I swear!

EDIT: stages are ranked from top (best) to bottom, for a generic opponent

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Same here Delvro, BF, Yoshi's Story, Smashville, and Lylat, same order.
I like Lylat, but not FD, no no no

Eten

Smash Ace
Battlefield Smashville Lylat Yoshi's Story Lylat Cruise Final Destination, in that order.

It's not so much the lack of platforms and horizontal size of FD that bothers me, it's the difficulty in sweetspotting the green missile and what happens to you when you do screw it up.

Cheesewulf

Smash Cadet
DDD's chaingrab
Pit's arrows, Falco's Lazers, etc.
Hard to sweetspot the edge
can't you just Nair out of it?
oh there's definately a way to avoid such barrages, like jumping over and Nair/Dair/whatever, since Falco has major lag after shooting

and please explain "sweetspot the edge", I'm not really used to such terms :p

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
What classifies a generic character? I really love Smashville with Luigi. Delfino leaves a little bit of fire jump options.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
What classifies a generic character? I really love Smashville with Luigi. Delfino leaves a little bit of fire jump options.
A generic character? If I understand what you mean...than a generic character is someone with little "gimmicks" that can make up for lack of player ability. I think Lucario first and foremost, as well as Fox, Luigi and a few others. They are characters that you just need to be good with technically and strategically to win. I don't consider Snake generic because he is very strong and has great camping abilities (not saying he is easy to use, but you have many character abilities to outweigh player abilities.

Its too much of an argument to decide who is "generic" and who isn't...but the only character i'd vouch for 100% is Lucario.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
A generic character? If I understand what you mean...than a generic character is someone with little "gimmicks" that can make up for lack of player ability. I think Lucario first and foremost, as well as Fox, Luigi and a few others. They are characters that you just need to be good with technically and strategically to win. I don't consider Snake generic because he is very strong and has great camping abilities (not saying he is easy to use, but you have many character abilities to outweigh player abilities.

Its too much of an argument to decide who is "generic" and who isn't...but the only character i'd vouch for 100% is Lucario.
Okay.

Thanks for the falco input... I knew about nair out of the chain grab (I nair out of everything :)) but the lasers really annoy me... at least they're good powershielding practice.

Umm, how about this. We Luigis have always loved corneria, but I was wondering what are our preferences are for starter stages only? Here's mine:

Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination

I'm willing to bet that other Luigis will like Lylat Cruise more... but that stage is out to kill me, I swear!

EDIT: stages are ranked from top (best) to bottom, for a generic opponent
I would not pick FD against Fox or Lucario.

Question...how many people would you guys say regularly come here? (Im comparing Boards)

Eten

Smash Ace
DDD's chaingrab
Pit's arrows, Falco's Lazers, etc.
Hard to sweetspot the edge
DDD's chaingrab has no horizontal movement on Luigi cause Luigi slides out of it(I don't think D3 is even close to making the grab). Size o' course don't matter, the standing chaingrab is the same everywhere!

oh there's definately a way to avoid such barrages, like jumping over and Nair/Dair/whatever, since Falco has major lag after shooting
Yeah but approaching sucks. It's not that it isn't possible to do it without getting hit, it's just slow and getting hit with "free damage" when you mess up is annoying. I think Luigi players in general dislike it because we hate how Luigi's slide can make it take even longer in these situations.

A course like Battlefield, there's a lot less space to escape and the platforms help Luigi in a lot of ways.

Sweetspot just means a special spot. In this case, the sweetspot is where Luigi autograbs the ledge out of his over-B.

kigbariom

Smash Lord

and please explain "sweetspot the edge", I'm not really used to such terms :p
You can't nair out of everything, especially not DDD's chaingrab, but you are on the right track with the dairs, to hurt a laser spammy Falco, SH>Dair is effective because it is fast and you are above ground. Falco also has so much camping potential, whose to say that that Falco player won't mosey on over to the other ledge, it is hard.

Sweet spot is the auto grab of the ledge

Battlefield Smashville Lylat Yoshi's Story Lylat Cruise Final Destination, in that order.

It's not so much the lack of platforms and horizontal size of FD that bothers me, it's the difficulty in sweetspotting the green missile and what happens to you when you do screw it up.
Yeah, it is hard for me to fight normally, because I don't know if anything will sweetspot, and I approach so differently when there are platforms around.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I never liked Battlefield as much as FD for some reason, usually it's because for some reasons the platforms get in my way somehow lol.

Anyways, what are Luigi's best matchups? Moreso, who are his better higher tier matchups? (I was thinking Falco, Diddy, Olmar, Wario?)

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Wario most definitely and I think Luigi has a great matchup against Diddy compared to most other people.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I can't get the dtaunt timing down, I have only pulled off the spike once, and as an attack just a few times. Any tips on when I should use it?
Glide toss to dtaunt would be funny...

MiiKai

Smash Cadet
Please, explain how to Tornado raising works. I never seem to get a high rising tornado when I used the second jump and fall about a second or two. How to raise with the tornado when your are falling?

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Please, explain how to Tornado raising works. I never seem to get a high rising tornado when I used the second jump and fall about a second or two. How to raise with the tornado when your are falling?
Read the quote below...
Hope it helps. lulz
It takes... Button mashing skills
Good momentum = few button mashes
no momentum = lots of button mashes
downwards momentum = ZOMG button mashes
Fastfall downwards momentum = need to be superman button mashing skills, possibly impossible to go really high out of this, I typically don't do much more than counter out my downwards momentum and move horizontally a bit

So either use your second jump to have good upwards momentum to start, or button mashing skills. You'll notice anything that increases your window for spamming the b button usually increases the amount of height you'll gain out of momentums you normally wouldn't go very high in. For example, if the tornado hits a person a bunch all the extra time added by the hitlag.

WIGI

Smash Champion
lol really you shouldn't sue dtaunt, its harder to get then dair spike, however i have built up a buit of a reputation. people get scared wehn i start taunting, but yeah i have a nack for landing it, and a skill fo rlanding dair spikes, i should really improve the rest of my game though/

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
It's up to you really :/ lol. It's just pitful on how "some" *not saying names*, people don't bother to look in ToC and check it throughly and/or use search function. Anyways it alway's something to refer to.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
What is ToC? I looked through all of the pages of the Luigi Boards and I didn't see anything.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I have a question.
How do I stop being pummled by G&W's dair without changing my fighting style? GaW can do his dair so many times because of his floppiness floatyness. And the hitbox is to the side. Because of this, I can't approach like normal. Should I stay on the ground, use down b, or live with it?

Top Bottom