• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi as main ?

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi i am trying to choose my main. I played a lot of character and i made my top 5 but it still a hard decision so i want the community opinion and wisdom.

My choice for main are right now : Shulk, luigi, bowser Jr and Sonic.
Those 5 have what i look for atm, killing power and versatility and i enjoy the all.

So what i would like to know for Luigi :

1) Pro's and con's
2) Competitive potential
3) Easy, medium or hard learning curve
4) How does he compare to the others in my top 5
5) Against who he struggle

So thanks a lot for your time and help it is greatly appreciate. Choosing a main is hard for me right now but i want to put 100 % of my time in 1 character so that i can improve my gameplay.

PS: before you ask i read a lot of the forum for those character and all their guide i just want your opinion

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
1) Pros: Incredible kill potential and a lot of solid mix-ups. IMO, nothing is bad about his kit except his dtilt and even then, I've seen people use it effectively. He has a billion combos out of his dthrow, and a good amount of projectile coverage/follow up with his fireball. His recovery is also pretty solid. If you can get the mashing down for his tornado and learn to mix it up pretty often, you'll have a pretty easy time staying alive most of the time.

Cons: His air speed is not the greatest thing in the world. He also has trouble approaching campy/fast characters. If you're not good at mixing up recovery, you will become predictable and get spiked pretty often from recovering low way too often.

2) He can compete with the best of em. Luigi's have been winning some pretty major tournaments.

3) I'd say easy-medium when just picking him up, but hard if you want to truly be good at him. That goes for most characters though. His dair spike combos and recovery take a good amount of practice, but his bread and butter dthrow > x2 fair is very easy to pick up. With Luigi, you need to mix it up. He has a lot of options and you should definitely be making use of all of em. However, he's very addicting and fun once you DO pick him up. I think it's worth it.

4) I couldn't tell you everything about the others. However, I typically have a fairly easy time against sonic players due to being able to stop his approaches with just a fireball. Shulk and Bowser Jr, I haven't had a ton of exposure to.

5) IMO, the match-ups I hate the most are Rosa, Shiek, and Kirby. Rosa because using grounded fireballs is pointless to approach. Shiek because a good shiek player can predict your recovery and just fair you into oblivion. However, I think the on stage match-up is pretty player skill based. Kirby is just frustrating and hard to grab. I always end up fishing for grabs and whiffing them. Those are just my personal annoyances, though.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Soupy covered 1 well so I'll just chime in on some others.

2) He's got great tourney results, you can definitely get top 8 with him without a ton of effort I think, like I did yesterday out of 80 people. He's going to struggle hard against people who want to camp and time out matches at the higher levels though, against Pikachu, Yoshi, Sheik for example. If they are faster in the air and ground, have more range, a projectile , and are not heayweights, they probably can beat Luigi.

3) Medium. His combos are quick to learn, but to truly master Luigi, you have to learn the timing on his dair spike, learn jumpless tornados, and perfect pivoting. I can't do neither of the last two...you can still be very proficient and place in tourneys with Luigi without jumpless cyclones and PP, just that knowing these two will greatly help your recovery and punish game.

4) Probably struggles with Shulk due to his massive range, but he at least has a fireball. Bowser Jr is easy to combo and can be dair spiked offstage, but mechakoopa i a pain to work around. Sonic is faster in the air and ground and can gimp with spring, but fireballs can a lot of his spindash approaches. Also you listed Sonic twice lol.

5) Villager, Sheik, Rosalina, they are some tough ones. But he does NOT struggle against Diddy, so that's a huge plus.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Oh yes, PP is very important!! Thank you for that. I just learned it not long ago and find myself incorporating it in random things by habit. I perfect pivoted around a Charizard rock smash the other day and got a very solid grab combo out of it. Not only does it look great, but because Luigi's is so long, it's pretty efficient.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks guy i got to say the Luigi community is at the moment the most informative one. It is greatly appreciate. I already dropped shulk and bowser jr is on a thin line right now. I got to say Luigi have a big +, but i am still hesitant between him sonic and captain falcon.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Hey thanks guy i got to say the Luigi community is at the moment the most informative one. It is greatly appreciate. I already dropped shulk and bowser jr is on a thin line right now. I got to say Luigi have a big +, but i am still hesitant between him sonic and captain falcon.
While I think that Sonic is sort of boring to play (though he might not be for you,) I got wrecked by a good falcon at a tournament the other day. I think it all comes down to what you're looking for in a character.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
While I think that Sonic is sort of boring to play (though he might not be for you,) I got wrecked by a good falcon at a tournament the other day. I think it all comes down to what you're looking for in a character.
I personally agree with Sonic being boring, but that's personal preference of course. As for Falcon, keep in mind that he is the most used character online, so people will know the match up well. I know it off the back of my hand now that I've played it so much as Luigi. Doesn't mean Luigi has an advantage in it, but it's something to consider. Luigi players are a bit more rare.

I noticed it said you were looking for kill power. Falcon does have a more stable kill power through his longer ranged smash attacks and his side B, along with a more destructive uair. But Luigi can kill a lot earlier with up B and misfire, it's more situational though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom