• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Luigified Potential Moveset: The Renais Twins

This formed from a discussion on Facebook, as nothing but throwing ideas around. They're unlikely but I can dream.

Overview:
Lucina can be a sword/lance character with throwbacks to the Magvel twins in each weapon. Parallel Falchion for her sword, Ephraim's Lance via Awakening (makes sense since Lucina can randomly find them) or a Brave Lance for her lance. The explanation for this newfound treatment? Promoting to Great Lord. She is unpromoted in Smash, at a point in Awakening's story where she's still fully focused on impersonating Marth. Once she joins your party, she learns more about combat and sees different styles in action, as well as gaining a new weapon on promotion.

Little Extras:
The shield on her arm can block projectiles that hit it if she's standing still, similar to the Links.

In her run, walk, jump, pretty much anything where she's not attacking, she could hold the Parallel Falchion, and a taunt could change her default held weapon to the lance for the match, and back to her Falchion after another use. This is nothing but a cosmetic deal. Other attacks have her hold the last weapon used.

Final Smash:
Make her critical hit animation a combination of Ephraim and Eirika's criticals: Ephraim's lance spin combined with Eirika's step back and dramatic lunge would work well.
She could strike with both weapons, whatever weapon she's holding due to her own Parallel Falchion/lance weapon wield deal, or use the lance since I can't imagine a sword working as well for Ephraim's twirl animation.
If they go a more declone-focused route, a Final Smash where Lucina Second Seals into Paladin would give her a horse similar to the promotion of the twins. She could ride around on the horse and attack, similar to other transformation Final Smashes. The horse could have an innate Crash Run, Lucina could hit pretty hard with her weapons, and incredibly-good mobility is nice. Give it invincibility or super armor until it runs out and it's good to go. It could still have throwbacks to the mounted attacks of the twins.

Special Moves:
Shield Breaker: Trade off the shield damage for a spear toss that travels farther and deals more damage the longer the button is held. Keep the original Shield Breaker in custom specials, remove the gust one, make her dashing variant have an animation similar to Ephraim's attacks. All of them use a spear.

Dancing Blade: Keep virtually the same.
Up variations: Sword
Mid variations: Both weapons attacking at once, or just the sword
Down variations: Spear

Counter: Two-handed lunge forward with the lance.

More decloned specials:

Up-B: Lucina's unique Aether, which functions nothing like Ike's and could be used as an aggressive recovery or OoS move.
Side-B: Press for a lunge forward, similar to her Awakening attack animation. Press B again to have her jump up and leap down with another strike, it true combos if you land the first one. If you use this in the air and miss the first attack, Lucina goes prone.
Down-B: Rightful King: Rather than Counter, Lucina charges the power in her blade, healing her a teeny bit while increasing its power for a set amount of time.

Standard Moves:
Since she impersonates Marth in canon, the rest of her moves can stay the same with Parallel Falchion, with the exception of some attacks that can be given to the lance.

For down smash, have her stab downwards twice with a lance.
For neutral air, have her stab both sides with a lance.
For up smash, have her lunge her lance upwards.
Down tilt can poke with the lance, maybe jab can utilize the lance.
I can see Dolphin Slash having her lunge upwards with the lance.

These attacks will function similar to Marth's, while adding more flavor to Lucina. The only problem is that a tipper mechanic seems more appropriate for this moveset overall than a balanced blade, since Ephraim uses a tip-based weapon and Eirika learned how to fight from him. This is for Lucina rather than Marth, where Marth could make no use of these concepts, and it could still work perfectly with Lucina's balanced blade. Lucina wouldn't be the Renais twins directly, she'd simply be cool throwbacks to them, so that helps the balanced blade case even more.

More decloned standards:

Fsmash can be a lance lunge, which reaches far but doesn't swing in an arc. It can be angled, similar to Little Mac, Samus, and Luigi's forward smashes.
Ftilt can be a more minor version of this, similar to Roy's Project M ftilt.
Usmash can be a stronger version of her already existing utilt, to make Marth have a vertical lunge as a smash and horizontal arc while Lucina has a horizontal lunge and vertical arc.
Dsmash could be two aggressive downward lance lunges in the direction in front of Lucina, rather than covering both sides. Less utility than the typical swordsman dsmash, but it causes more shield pressure, damage, and frontal pressure.

Fair can poke forward with a lance as an aerial, bair can slash backwards with her sword. This gives more opportunities for when and when to not use RAR.
Dair should stay the same, it feels different enough from Marth's, covers an arc, feels pretty satisfying to hit with, and is even more satisfying to meteor with. As an alternative dair, I can see a lance toss downwards similar to Mega Man's dair being pretty neat.
Uair is a nice juggling tool. I could see a lance poke upwards working well in its place, but it's a good either/or deal.
Nair can be one spin with Parallel Falchion, or the lance idea from the less decloned standards.

Hindsight and Possibilities:
This moveset could clean out requests for a lance character and complaints of a lack of them. Ephraim, specifically, would be taken care of, more of what Chrom could have been would be realized with this moveset without making people complain about another swordsman and without bumping Awakening's fighter representation for FE back to 50%, while giving Eirika and FE8 fans something nice. This gives more potential and chances for Lucina to return to a future Smash title if one ever happens. A bunch of birds with one stone.

Give her palettes for the Renais twins and she's good to go. Maybe this will never officially happen, but it's good to send in (ballot, email) for anyone interested anyways and we could see it once Wii U hacking truly takes off. If they want to keep Lucina around if there's ever a Smash 5, this could work well, too.

Big bit on Eliwood/Sigurd and series representation that's only a little relevant to the moveset:
Eliwood and Sigurd could work as well for sword and lance inspiration and throwbacks, but I see Eliwood's tools being implemented into Roy in the future as much more appropriate without oversaturating Elibe's fighters (both Lucina and Robin oversaturate Ylisse by a long shot, but character cuts suck and any other FE character would just be a newcomer, so Lucina is my exception, please keep her and Robin in), and Sigurd as a possible Jugdral character, even if Lewyn (Levin) is my #1 choice for it, as he is a main character in both generations.
Jugdral is the only multi-game continent without a playable rep, and wind magic is heavily underutilized in Smash, so Lewyn is one of my very few Fire Emblem choices I'm fine with for a future Smash title, but I'm perfectly fine if Jugdral doesn't get a fighter. Marth's Leif palette is at least a nod to it, and these new medleys are beautiful.
Magvel isn't nearly as much of a significant part of the series in comparison to what we have, which is why I chose its twins for this moveset rather than suggest their inclusion. FE has representation for every system (Marth = NES, SNES, DS, Ike = Gamecube, Wii, Roy = GBA, Lucina/Robin = 3DS) and every international continent with more than one game has a fighter, which further adds to it.

There, Lucina still has her canon Marth impersonation down with tools of her own that wouldn't take long to make. She can't promote until after everyone's caught onto her act, anyways, where she branches out on some of her moveset and learns a new weapon, which is where promotion ties in. I feel Luigification to a lesser scale of other ones fits her most due to her canon ties with Marth, and to avoid alienating mains of her too much, but there's much more potential for a declone past this, and my own moveset ideas are pretty mild and keep her tied to Marth for the most part, which may or may not be appealing to some. To circumvent this, I added some more unique ideas to certain boxes. To add even more as a first step? Specifically, start with keeping Lucina as floaty as Marth while giving them more of a range difference as a tradeoff for Lucina possibly becoming more nimble and rushdown-focused in the future.

@Moydow, I added alternative decloned standards and specials via several edits since your last read.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
After reading the above, I've tried my hand at Luigifying Lucina for giggles. The only thing I'm confident about sharing thus far is her Final Smash (For some reason, I tried to write out its description as if it was for a trophy).

Final Smash: Great Lord (Transformation)

Lucina flings a Master Seal upwards, which instills upon her the powers and appearance of her Great Lord class! Lucina moves faster, and hits harder in addition to receiving reduced damage and knockback from her opponents' attacks! Pretty GREAT, huh? Once her transformation ends; a Second Seal appears, restoring Lucina to her Lord class to resume the fight. I hope you don't break anything while wielding all that extra power...

Last edited:
After reading the above, I've tried my hand at Luigifying Lucina for giggles. The only thing I'm confident about sharing thus far is her Final Smash (For some reason, I tried to write out its description as if it was for a trophy).

Final Smash: Great Lord (Transformation)

Lucina flings a Master Seal upwards; instilling upon the powers and appearance of her Great Lord class! Lucina moves faster, and hits harder in addition to receiving less damage and knockback from her opponents' attacks! Once her transformation ends, a Second Seal appears; restoring her to the Lord class to resume the fight. Just make sure you don't break anything with all that extra power...
I dig it. I like that reference to Chrom having a tendency to break things during training, and how it was made for a FS trophy with similar charm. On-point to where I thought it was an official description itself.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For Lucina the important thing is she needs to play a role and any differences should enforce that role, not be differences for their own sake. As she stands, she's Marth on easy mode for the most part. Marth is a quick character that needs proper spacing to do the best, Roy is fast and does the most damag eclose up at short range. Ike is slow and long ranged but has a lot of wind up. Robin is slow but has a lot of powerful limited use tools to use strategically.

What style would Lucina have that makes her unique but doesn't alienate her too far from her origins (this is the series that kept Ganondorf as a Falcon clone after all)

For Lucina the important thing is she needs to play a role and any differences should enforce that role, not be differences for their own sake. As she stands, she's Marth on easy mode for the most part. Marth is a quick character that needs proper spacing to do the best, Roy is fast and does the most damag eclose up at short range. Ike is slow and long ranged but has a lot of wind up. Robin is slow but has a lot of powerful limited use tools to use strategically.

What style would Lucina have that makes her unique but doesn't alienate her too far from her origins (this is the series that kept Ganondorf as a Falcon clone after all)
To fully differentiate each character, I would do so:

Ike: Tanky brute. I would give him an axe on a chain, similar to GBA generals. He would keep his normal grab, but this could be a tether in the air, giving him a weak tether poke. A normal Tomahawk would be incorporated into Quick Draw. He can throw the axe the same distance he would go instead of launching forwards, but he would have to wait for it to travel back to him to act, making him vulnerable, and he would be prone after using it in the air. A way to give him a balanced projectile and less linear recovery. If he uses the traditional Quick Draw, he would slash with the axe instead.

Roy: Fast+powerful glass cannon, further declone based on Elibe games+manga where he keeps his playstyle. DED can be based on his rapier days before the SoS. Brawl Minus did a great job at something like this, a declone where he still fought just like his Melee incarnation with enough to differentiate him 100% from Marth (beyond semi-clone levels) with many FE6 throwbacks. I would give him at least one tame flame projectile that doesn't hit really hard or travel too far, to give him a bit of a magic poke.

Robin: Same old deal, make them a bit less sluggish and give them better hitboxes on stuff.

Lucina: The swiftest character of the bunch. Less range/zoning focus and reward for it than Marth, and more unorthadox attacks, but faster attacks and movement. A combo-based fighter like the Mario Bros., Kirby, or Diddy. The spear toss would help zoning issues. I could declone her more if needed to fit a role. I would change her falling speed from Marth's floatiness to an average falling speed.

Marth: The balanced character; Not as fast as Lucina or Roy, not as powerful as Ike or Roy, not as glassy as Roy or even Lucina, not as sluggish as Ike or Robin, etc. Still the somewhat swift tip-based swordsman he is who really enjoys what he gets off grabs/tilts/good stage position/traps. What differentiates him most is that he's not based on extremes like the others. Most of all, I would adjust and fix the hitboxes inside of his sword, a lot of stuff in this game seems to go through foes.

I feel they would each need a projectile to balance them, while Marth would need to be good enough to stay viable without one like in previous smash titles.

If anything gets out of hand or too weak, if there's not enough to differentiate stuff, or if there's any other issues, I would definitely tweak them or add/take stuff as needed. I would focus on making the FE characters what a high-tier but not top or mid/low would be.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Lucina being a clone doesn't bother me as much! I know it bothers alot of people that she is! I don't know if she will return in future games or not, however i like you guys ideas!

Project_B

Smash Cadet
Lucina being a clone doesn't bother me as much! I know it bothers alot of people that she is! I don't know if she will return in future games or not, however i like you guys ideas!
Lucina being a clone is not too bothersome to me either, but what is annoying is that she is, by a small but substantial margin, worse than Marth in competitive play. Decloning her would allow for her to at least have different matchups and more of a unique aspect to her, even if she were still worse than Marth. Hopefully she will get improved in a newer patch or even the next Smash game (assuming there is one, because Nintendo probably wouldn't give up such a profitable franchise).

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Why not just reclass her to Paladin? Either that or Sigurd. We don't have a horsefighter yet, at least.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Lucy.png
Lucy2.png
Lucy3.png
View attachment 68436 View attachment 68437 View attachment 68431 EDIT: I work faster than I think! The images speak for themselves. For the Final Smash, it is still Critical Hit, but now with Lucina's animation from Awakening and her critical cut-in. The animations should be changed to reflect Awakening. The reason I think her aerials should be the same is because they are solid as they are, they just need adjusments. And some things I leave them the same because they are effective as they are. What do you think of my decloned Lucina idea?

Last edited:
View attachment 68442 View attachment 68441 View attachment 68440 View attachment 68436 View attachment 68437 View attachment 68431 EDIT: I work faster than I think! The images speak for themselves. For the Final Smash, it is still Critical Hit, but now with Lucina's animation from Awakening and her critical cut-in. The animations should be changed to reflect Awakening. The reason I think her aerials should be the same is because they are solid as they are, they just need adjusments. And some things I leave them the same because they are effective as they are. What do you think of my decloned Lucina idea?
I really like what you did with the specials. I think this is what Lucina should have been, a new type of semi-clone. One with completely new specials instead of differentiated specials, but still the same normals as it does make sense with her style being identical to Marth's in Awakening but with her own class and personal skills.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Don't know Lucina's fate in future games. I don't see her changing much. Unless Sakurai does what he did with Luigi, Falco and Roy. I don't see Sakurai putting in bows and stuff like that (that's just my opinion) However i do see him possibly changing some things take a look at this video.

I know it's just a fan made mod. I think she should have her stance changed to her Awakening Stance and her aerials could be changed up a bit to what's seen in the mod. I liked her N-air in that mod! It's like what Lucina (Marth) and Chrom did when they was fighting each other in Arena Ferox! She needs these moves to differentiate herself from the Hero-King!

@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 had some pretty good ideas as well! Feel free to post them here.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Don't know Lucina's fate in future games. I don't see her changing much. Unless Sakurai does what he did with Luigi, Falco and Roy. I don't see Sakurai putting in bows and stuff like that (that's just my opinion) However i do see him possibly changing some things take a look at this video.

I know it's just a fan made mod. I think she should have her stance changed to her Awakening Stance and her aerials could be changed up a bit to what's seen in the mod. I liked her N-air in that mod! It's like what Lucina (Marth) and Chrom did when they was fighting each other in Arena Ferox! She needs these moves to differentiate herself from the Hero-King!

@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 had some pretty good ideas as well! Feel free to post them here.
Will do!

(copying from Lucina Social)

I had a thread directly below this but it got locked and was suggested to move it here. This is up for consideration for you Lucina fans.

I was thinking in the "If you were in charge of Smash 5's roster" thread, I didn't like the thought of cutting characters NOR did I like the idea of alternate characters. I think characters should feel like they belong in Smash. Yes, this includes Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Alph, and Lucina (not the Koopalings, they are fine as they are). So attempting to think of ways to make the clones different, I initially had a lot of trouble thinking of unique things for Lucina when it hit me:

In Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom and Lucina could promote their Lord class to become Great Lords. Both of them gain a shield to go along with their Flachion. Chrom obtains the Fire Emblem (or a very large one at that) and Lucina has a shield made in the same design as her mask, see below:

How would you feel about Lucina becoming a Great Lord in Smash 5? Using her sword and newfound shield, she could be a cross between :4link: and :4marth: rather than just a very very slightly different :4marth:. Being a hyper fast sword and shield user without the gimmicky gadgets of Link, this would open up Lucina to use her shield in combat like shield bashes, side swipes, or even throwing it Captain America style. Imagine a :GCR::GCB: being a shield bash that, if charged up, could be used to stun the character like a shorter shield break? Or possibly tossing her shield, though that may be too much like Link's boomerang. Heck, for good measure, make her next appearance in Smash utilize her Great Lord look just like how Ike and Roy used new looks in Smash 4.

What are your thoughts? Do you think people would like Lucina more (or hate Lucina less) if she had a new moveset like this (or at least a fusion of Link and Marth) rather than being a nigh perfect clone? Or FE characters in general? Do you think Sakurai would consider this?

Top Bottom