• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina looked kinda good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Watching some streams, Lucina looked like she could be good. i know its early and there is still alot to learn about that game, but she looked good from the start! any other thoughts?

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Yeah I have been watching a lot of Lucina on streams and she looks really good kinda sad Robin is bad :(.

EDIT- Sethlon confirmed on his twitter that he will be sticking with Robin and his first impression was wrong.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
She's still Marth in essence, so of course she'll be good, unless Marth's nerfs apply to her.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
her air game looks solid, if not really good. im predicting a little bit here, but i think anyone with a good air game will be high tier. could be completely wrong, but thats what it seems

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
her air game looks solid, if not really good. im predicting a little bit here, but i think anyone with a good air game will be high tier. could be completely wrong, but thats what it seems
Lucina emphasizes ground based rushdown as opposed to melee based air control, which is better left to Meta Knight, who has far better mobility. Sure, she has a few tricks airborne, but it's not something to rely on.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I disagree with the comment about air-game. Air will be important but I don't think it will dominate as much as it has in the past games. It will still be the primary approach method for most characters in most situations, but ground tools have been significantly buffed in this game. In particular throw set ups for some characters are becoming pretty much the core of their game (see Mario). Air complements it.

She looks decent, though I wouldn't say she's "better" than Marth. She will definitely be a lot easier to maximize potential with though. It's still way, way too early to make a call on who is better.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
hmmm interesting. got that one wrong then lol, what about marth? is he still strong in the air? havent seen much of him being played

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I disagree with the comment about air-game. Air will be important but I don't think it will dominate as much as it has in the past games. It will still be the primary approach method for most characters in most situations, but ground tools have been significantly buffed in this game. In particular throw set ups for some characters are becoming pretty much the core of their game (see Mario). Air complements it.
Actually, air control will be much more risky due to characters like DHD, Palutena, and Dark Pit/Pit. Straightforward ground offense, which is Lucina's specialty, is your best bet against grounded foes. Little Mac of course is a testament to the underlined statement, and zoners will directly abuse the air as much as possible as well.

Both will be balanced and Lucina will find a way around it somehow.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
hmmm interesting. got that one wrong then lol, what about marth? is he still strong in the air? havent seen much of him being played
Well from watching the treehouse stuff and from the streams, he still seems really quite good. I don't understand the woe-posting by some people. His big issue is that they decreased his range by a noticeable amount. I mean, he still nearly blast-zones mid-lighter characters with a tippered fsmash at around 65-75 percent. And the blastzones on the stages that I saw these occurences on are HUGE. He's not gonna be a bad character and he's probably not even gonna be mid. He's gonna be in the upper regions because his moveset is really solid and the tipper makes him very good at both comboing and killling.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
well thats good at least. most of my thoughts of him sucking were from ken after E3. of course, everything could have changed sense then which it seems like it did.

Lucina and marths counters seemed to have gotten a massive buff, they kill at like 75-90 percent

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
well thats good at least. most of my thoughts of him sucking were from ken after E3. of course, everything could have changed sense then which it seems like it did.

Lucina and marths counters seemed to have gotten a massive buff, they kill at like 75-90 percent
Oh for sure. The current build is tremendously different than the E3 build. In just about every way. Throws can now be followed up on. Knockback is lower across the board. Speed is higher across the board. If you don't have the demo yet, wait until next week and give Link and Mario a shot. They showcase the changes a lot.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just going to say that I don't play with technical attributes or competitive play in mind, so bear in mind that I'm just speaking from my own perspectives here.

It really does not bother me how "good" or "bad" a character is. Everything, every detail of studied analyses, every aspect of critical assessment, ultimately boils down to subjective opinions. Sure, you can say that X is objectively superior in terms of jumping height to Y, or that Y is objectively heavier in weight class than Z - but I wouldn't let that diminish or influence my enjoyment of a character.

I think Lucina looks like a whole lot of fun because, to me, she's the epitome of what I've always secretly dreamed of: Marth that isn't Marth. I've always admired Marth, but I could never really get into his fighting style; my brother has always been the superior Marth player and I decided that, with Brawl's lifespan coming to a climax, I may as well wait for the next game and learn to play as him then.

And then along came Lucina. Boy, oh, boy, am I glad to see her.

To be honest, it's of no concern to me how she plays or what her innate stats are. I'll play her as I want to play her and work with her to suit my playing style. I'm already prepping myself for the quick, agile, rushdown / aerial goddess of battle that I've always wanted to play, and even if that's not how she's "meant" to be played, screw it - I'll play her like that anyway.

To wit: yes, Lucina does look good. She looks wonderful, in fact, and I really don't think you should feel uneasy or unsure about that - if you want to play her, sweetheart, then you go right ahead and play her!

I strongly advise you, my friend, to challenge your fate.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Just going to say that I don't play with technical attributes or competitive play in mind, so bear in mind that I'm just speaking from my own perspectives here.

It really does not bother me how "good" or "bad" a character is. Everything, every detail of studied analyses, every aspect of critical assessment, ultimately boils down to subjective opinions. Sure, you can say that X is objectively superior in terms of jumping height to Y, or that Y is objectively heavier in weight class than Z - but I wouldn't let that diminish or influence my enjoyment of a character.

I think Lucina looks like a whole lot of fun because, to me, she's the epitome of what I've always secretly dreamed of: Marth that isn't Marth. I've always admired Marth, but I could never really get into his fighting style; my brother has always been the superior Marth player and I decided that, with Brawl's lifespan coming to a climax, I may as well wait for the next game and learn to play as him then.

And then along came Lucina. Boy, oh, boy, am I glad to see her.

To be honest, it's of no concern to me how she plays or what her innate stats are. I'll play her as I want to play her and work with her to suit my playing style. I'm already prepping myself for the quick, agile, rushdown / aerial goddess of battle that I've always wanted to play, and even if that's not how she's "meant" to be played, screw it - I'll play her like that anyway.

To wit: yes, Lucina does look good. She looks wonderful, in fact, and I really don't think you should feel uneasy or unsure about that - if you want to play her, sweetheart, then you go right ahead and play her!

I strongly advise you, my friend, to challenge your fate.
Nice to see non-competitive players on the boards as well! Lucina is my favorite video game character ever, so even if she is"bad" im going to play her some way or another. she was my most wanted character is smash. but, as someone looking to be competitive, playing a character slightly better is always the best choice, and once again, im glad to see that she seems to be pretty good.

but this is the beauty of smash. competitive players and casual players can enjoy the same game. gotta love it!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nice to see non-competitive players on the boards as well! Lucina is my favorite video game character ever, so even if she is"bad" im going to play her some way or another. she was my most wanted character is smash. but, as someone looking to be competitive, playing a character slightly better is always the best choice, and once again, im glad to see that she seems to be pretty good.

but this is the beauty of smash. competitive players and casual players can enjoy the same game. gotta love it!
Well, I wouldn't call myself "casual" either. Not that I resent the term or anything, I just prefer not to demarcate myself into any particular category. ;3

I've been playing Smash since I was a wee one and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. That being said, I am the sort of player who plays for the lore and the stories as much as anything else - it's part of the reason why I'm so fond of mah gurl LuLu and her swell background and oodles and oodles of excellent character development. <3

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Ive been watching VGBC all day, but switching in and out on a second monitor for other random streamers. most people are taking character requests so theres that. cant provide a link =[

havent seen anything about keeping the mask though =[

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Sakurai explicitly stated that her mask was equipped via a taunt, "like Guile in Street Fighter" or something to that effect. If that isn't actually true then I will be a little disappointed. :ohwell:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Sakurai explicitly stated that her mask was equipped via a taunt, "like Guile in Street Fighter" or something to that effect. If that isn't actually true then I will be a little disappointed. :ohwell:
she does put the mask on in i believe the down taunt, just not sure how to keep it on

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I think the lack of a tipper mechanic will place her at a lower skill cap than marth but both are probably gonna be equally viable.

At breakneck game speed, if her marginal difference in speed makes an impact on combo ability then she'll be better than marth.

All in all, she looks better than I thought. I think both her and marth are kind of bland versions of brawl marth, but I could be wrong. I definitely want to try them out. Hyped.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
she does put the mask on in i believe the down taunt, just not sure how to keep it on
Down Taunt. But she will remove the mask at the end of the taunt again, so no masked lucina (rather "rukina") gameplay.

I think the lack of a tipper mechanic will place her at a lower skill cap than marth but both are probably gonna be equally viable.

At breakneck game speed, if her marginal difference in speed makes an impact on combo ability then she'll be better than marth.

All in all, she looks better than I thought. I think both her and marth are kind of bland versions of brawl marth, but I could be wrong. I definitely want to try them out. Hyped.
I feel like the designation "noob marth" really applys, but I'm actually doing better with her than marth, so thats why I assume shes an easy marth. However, I feel like shes a bit faster, and that benefits her alot.
Just sayin, Marth / Lucina are nothing like Brawl counterpart. Fair has so much landing lag, its ridiculus. However, I still find myself always in the air with lucina so I'm not too sure yet if it matters that much. I feel like shes definitly viable, or at least fun to play with.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Lucina's close-range FSmash knockback seemed really good. Looked and seemed a lot stronger than when Marth does the same. This makes it a more reliable KO option for her than Marth's now harder-to-tip version. :)

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Lucina is looking really promising. Her FSmash kills certain characters at 130% while Marth's untipped Fsmash kills at 170+%. Although I don't think she'll do as well as Marth in a competitive setting, she'll still be viable. In fact, most characters look viable in this game.

I will say, people saying Lucina is faster than Marth are in fact wrong. False (a prominent Marth player in brawl) did say that they are at the same speed and judging by the gameplay I saw, I would agree...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Lucina is looking really promising. Her FSmash kills certain characters at 130% while Marth's untipped Fsmash kills at 170+%. Although I don't think she'll do as well as Marth in a competitive setting, she'll still be viable. In fact, most characters look viable in this game.
GO AWAY COUSIN OF GRIMA

Wow, 130%? That Falchion is more op than Marth's :troll:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
It's gonna feel like a small victory if/when someone keeps that mask on.

Guarantee she gets more play time Just for that.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

I will say, people saying Lucina is faster than Marth are in fact wrong. False (a prominent Marth player in brawl) did say that they are at the same speed and judging by the gameplay I saw, I would agree...
Marth's tipper kills earlier than 130 on average. The tip still puts Marth at an edge, to be honest. The relationship is a lot like Roy/Marth except that this time around the Roy-like isn't complete garbage. Just not as good.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Have not seen any streams of Lucina at the moment. I've seen some of Robin's and I must say it was quite a sight to see.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Marth's tipper kills earlier than 130 on average. The tip still puts Marth at an edge, to be honest. The relationship is a lot like Roy/Marth except that this time around the Roy-like isn't complete garbage. Just not as good.
Agreed. Marth's tipper killed at about 80-90% and his tipper fair can kill at about 150ish.

Anyways I always said Marth > Lucina

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Agreed. Marth's tipper killed at about 80-90% and his tipper fair can kill at about 150ish.

Anyways I always said Marth > Lucina
Well I don't think anyone ever really doubted that. And who knows what the future of the game will bring. I did find it odd that people thought Marth was gonna be awful though. He's fundamentally good.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Well I think that Lucina is at least slightly better then Marth. People say that her not having a tipper mechanic is terrible, but she wont have the same issue as marth : Not being able to kill at high percents. Also, her Upsmash IS GODLIKE, like lucas upsmash. Her shorthop fair has no lag. Her side b is quicker then marths, and overall she is just a quicker marth. IMO Lucina looks around top 5 or at least top 8 material.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Well I think that Lucina is at least slightly better then Marth. People say that her not having a tipper mechanic is terrible, but she wont have the same issue as marth : Not being able to kill at high percents. Also, her Upsmash IS GODLIKE, like lucas upsmash. Her shorthop fair has no lag. Her side b is quicker then marths, and overall she is just a quicker marth. IMO Lucina looks around top 5 or at least top 8 material.
I respect your opinion but you are wrong about a couple of things.

1: Lucina only does 1-2% more damage thanMarth's untipped hits, and has a hard time killing until about 140 which isn't really that great. Random Fsmash can kill at 130ish though.

2: Indeed Lucina's Usmash is god like but Marth's is better. Hopefully Shofu uploads some of his matches vs False's Marth so I can how you.

3: She has the same landing lag as Marth so if her short hop fair has no lag, so does Marth's.

4: Her side B is the same speed as Marth's. They are literally the exact same speed at everything.

5: Again, they are the same speed.

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I respect your opinion but you are wrong about a couple of things.

1: Lucina only does 1-2% more damage thanMarth's untipped hits, and has a hard time killing until about 140 which isn't really that great. Random Fsmash can kill at 130ish though.

2: Indeed Lucina's Usmash is god like but Marth's is better. Hopefully Shofu uploads some of his matches vs False's Marth so I can how you.

3: She has the same landing lag as Marth so if her short hop fair has no lag, so does Marth's.

4: Her side B is the same speed as Marth's. They are literally the exact same speed at everything.

5: Again, they are the same speed.
so if this is the case it comes down to preference on who to play

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
so if this is the case it comes down to preference on who to play
Of course...

But again, in high level matches, I think Marth would be the more viable character (they are BOTH really viable though). Marth's tipper Fsmash killed Palutena at 50% :joyful:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom