• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Differences

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
When I first started playing as Lucina, I thought she was far stronger than Marth because her fsmash seemed to be able to KO at the same percentage as Marth without having to tip. Later I discovered that Smash attacks have generally gotten better since Brawl, and also that Marth's and Lucina's fsmash are almost exactly the same (they both KO Mario at the same percentage, except Marth can KO earlier with the tip).

That kinda bugged me because I like Lucina a lot more than Marth (if you ever play Shadow Dragon, you will learn Marth is extremely boring as a character), but I kept trying to find differences. For one thing, Lucina's Counter seems to be stronger and her Dolphin Slash is weaker (I don't know about Dancing Blade). Her sword is shorter than Marth's and of course it can't tip; the Shield Breaker seems to break shields easier. Also she's slightly shorter than Marth, but not enough for it to make a huge difference. The final thing which really surprised me is that she is more durable than Marth. I used Mario's fsmash on Marth at 90% in the center of the stage, and he died, but when used on Lucina at the same spot and percentage, she survived. I actually expected the reverse to be true, for her attacks to be stronger but not being as durable.

What else has everyone noticed that's different about her?

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
I think her Dancing Blades is supposed to be a little faster. No confirm on that from me, though.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Her being shorter than Marth, together with slightly less sword range, means her fsmash and jab are less likely to reach characters on platforms above her in Battlefield.
The final thing which really surprised me is that she is more durable than Marth. I used Mario's fsmash on Marth at 90% in the center of the stage, and he died, but when used on Lucina at the same spot and percentage, she survived. I actually expected the reverse to be true, for her attacks to be stronger but not being as durable.
How did you test this?

(if you ever play Shadow Dragon, you will learn Marth is extremely boring as a character)
He's a bit more interesting in the sequel in my opinion, but that's for another topic.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
Im starting to actually prefer Lucina over Marth because of the more consistent damage.

I mean, the tipper is nice and all but the hitbox feels like it might be a bit more strict this time around it doesn't always hit, and lucina's sword hit's harder than Marth's without the tip so that kinda balances it out for me.

I still consider the lack of a tip to be Lucina's downside, but her specials compensate for that imo. Marth's side B feels slower, I heard somewhere that a grounded opponent cant actually shield grab after the second or third hit and Lucina's shield breaker is much more consistent, I seem to get more breaks with it. Also counter is better, Marth's will always inherently hit without the tip...well, mostly anyways.

Also, Lucina's combo's do more damage because you can't space out tipper's during combo's. Down throw > bair > fair > Fsmash/tilt does like 10% more with Lucina.

I can't wait for some actual frame data on these two characters, they're damn near identical but I swear Lucina feels faster somehow. I just -feel- it, but I've no proof without that frame data lol

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
How did you test this?
Training mode. I got them up to 90% with the pause menu. I KO'd them and then waited for them to respawn and hit them from exactly where they fell from the platform. I don't believe I pushed Marth at all.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Just tested the two out in Training. Lucina has higher knockback than Marth's non-tipped moves, and most of her moves do an extra percent or two of damage. Against Mario standing in his spawning position on Final Destination, she side-screen KOs him at 91% with her side smash. Marth does this at 115%, and 57% with the tip.

Also, I'm not noticing a speed difference. I think it's just the sound effects that make her feel faster.

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
Just tested the two out in Training. Lucina has higher knockback than Marth's non-tipped moves, and most of her moves do an extra percent or two of damage. Against Mario standing in his spawning position on Final Destination, she side-screen KOs him at 91% with her side smash. Marth does this at 115%, and 57% with the tip.

Also, I'm not noticing a speed difference. I think it's just the sound effects that make her feel faster.
Thanks! Sounds a lot more professional than what I did. I did actually do a similar test, but wasn't as precise. I knew that fsmash was more powerful somehow... I could have sworn it KO'd Shulk at 71% in the center of the stage. I know Marth has never been able to do that.

Tribute

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0645-5788-4088
Thanks! Sounds a lot more professional than what I did. I did actually do a similar test, but wasn't as precise. I knew that fsmash was more powerful somehow... I could have sworn it KO'd Shulk at 71% in the center of the stage. I know Marth has never been able to do that.
Are you sure the shulk wasn't in jump/smash monado?

Gah777

Smash Lord
Lucina feels like her game flows more smoothly than Marth. After playing Lucina for an extended period of time, then going back to Marth, he felt a little more clunky, imo, but without fame data we have no way of being 100% percent sure. Imo the biggest allure to use Lucina (assming no speed difference) over Marth is the consistent damage output without relying on a (nerfed) tipper range.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
After using both in actual tourney I can see merit in both characters but honestly if your spacing is competent, Marth IS better. I'm killing King Dedede at friggin 100, something Lucina just can't do.

The clunkiness honestly is just compensation bias. If you know how to move with one you know how to move with the other. It's not pure speed but rather with Lucina you simply are NOT concerned with spacing as much for safety. (Though you should be)

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
Well okay, sure. I still like Luce better though. It is cool that it's easier to tip with Marth now than in Brawl, as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom