• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas improvements?

K3H

Smash Cadet
I'm sure everyone here has things that they'd like to give to Lucas to make him better. By better I don't mean OP. I mean any glaring, or strong weaknesses that you've noticed while using him. For starters:

His grab is pretty Lackluster. Sure, the case could be made that he has a terrible grab because of the reward that he gets off of it, but it's still a bad grab. Take a Look as ZSS' grab compared to Lucas'. Lucas' comes out 4 frames faster, sure, but the range is nowhere close to ZSS'. It's also impossible to shield grab attacks from certain characters because of how slow it comes out. And The hit box on hers stays out much longer than Lucas'. Not to mention the lag on the two isn't too far apart. So it's a short tether grab that has significant lag, which means it isn't too good of a grab. So if it were given, at least, a "pseudo Link tether" treatment, it would be much better.

His Usmash imo is underpowered. Some people may read that and think I'm crazy, but let's compare it to to other hard hitting Usmashes. Both Fox and Pikachu have quick, hard hitting Usmashes. They can kill reliably in the 90%-140% range depending on the usual knockback factors (weight, sweet spot, staling, stage). Lucas' kills in basically the same range, but it comes out much more slowly, and has much more end lag. Someone might say, "well, at least he has invincibility". That may be true, but it's only on the first 4 frames, and it's JUST on his head. Fox has intangibility on his as well, and so do like, 4 other characters (Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, Wario (not 100% sure about this one). It could be improved by any of the following (in order of personal importance). 1. Make it kill ~20% sooner. That's not too much, considering it's easy to see coming, and you can react to it without much trouble. 2. Make it come out faster. This is more important than decreased endlag, because connecting with it means that the opponent will (most likely) not be able to get a punish since they'll be too far away from taking the hit. 3. Increase the time of invincibility. Don't put it on his while body, but make it so that even if a read is made, the opponent can't panic jab and stop you (especially since you can't really land this move without getting a read anyway)

Lucas has multiple moves with sweet spots. Utilt, Ftilt, and Fair to name a few (Uair basically being a sweet spot). But the problem is even when they're spaced properly, the reward for hitting them is still relatively low. An unstale Fair on the center of FD won't even come close to killing Mario. A sweet spotted Bair from Ness will kill Mario no trouble from the same spot (this was tested in training mode). There have been times when I, and I'm sure many of you have hit a sweet spotted Fair on an opponent at ~140% and still couldn't get the kill. Lucas' best (and possibly only, as far as I know) kill set up requires the usage of Uair. Landing a Uair on an opponent who is basically at the top of the screen won't even get a kill 100% of the time. Taking into account how small the hitbox on Uair is, it's needlessly weak. It doesn't have to be on the same level as Fox, Ness, or Yoshi Uair (although this wouldn't be a bad thing), but it definitely needs to pack more of a punch, and actually have a decent hitbox. There are two solutions I could see working, one of which just being sort of a "band-aid on a stab" so to speak. Either he needs to have higher knockback for hitting his sweet spots, or just make it easier in general to hit them.

I know there are other things, so what do you guys think need to be taken care of?

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
I agree with everything on this. Also upsmash can be used to read air dodges and end JabLock Combos also I found that at 120% when Zair starts to make openments land on there back and they don't tech you can do Zair + jump cancel up Smash. But I agree with everything on here :) ;) :3

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Up smash has invincibility throughout his whole body Frame 1-4.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
What I really want is for jab 1 to jab-lock. Sweetspot-dair is extremely silly to jab-lock with. Also just let D-smash just hit shield three times just like Shulk and reduce the shield damage to compensate. Whiffng a smash is death already, no need to make it even deadlier imo.
Sweetspot F-air needs to kill slightly earlier (-+15%) and AC giving him a better approach tool. And Up-air needs a hitbox, because right now it really doesn't have a hitbox.
Don't agree with Up-smash killing earlier though. Having Up-smash kill 20% earlier would make his somewhat unpractical ToD a practical ToD. Also killing mario at 44% on halberd without rage and at 30% with 100% rage would be cringeworthy.

K3H

Smash Cadet
What I really want is for jab 1 to jab-lock. Sweetspot-dair is extremely silly to jab-lock with. Also just let D-smash just hit shield three times just like Shulk and reduce the shield damage to compensate. Whiffng a smash is death already, no need to make it even deadlier imo.
Sweetspot F-air needs to kill slightly earlier (-+15%) and AC giving him a better approach tool. And Up-air needs a hitbox, because right now it really doesn't have a hitbox.
Don't agree with Up-smash killing earlier though. Having Up-smash kill 20% earlier would make his somewhat unpractical ToD a practical ToD. Also killing mario at 44% on halberd without rage and at 30% with 100% rage would be cringeworthy.
Those kill percents on Mario are only if you fully charge it. Who in their right mind would stand there and get hit by a fully charged Lucas Usmash?

But I do agree with the Dsmash being like Shulk's. I think since it's Lucas' hardest hitting (and reliable) kill move, it should be a little safer.

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Those kill percents on Mario are only if you fully charge it. Who in their right mind would stand there and get hit by a fully charged Lucas Usmash?

But I do agree with the Dsmash being like Shulk's. I think since it's Lucas' hardest hitting (and reliable) kill move, it should be a little safer.
No, those are uncharged upsmashes. Without rage Up-smash kills mario at 86% on FD and on Halberd during the lowest section on the highest platform it kills on 64% Fully charged, it kills at 34%.
Also Up-throw kills mario at 145% on FD but on Halberd on the high platform it kills on 98%!!!!

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
At the moment, I'm just hoping they allow his f-air, n-air and u-air to be autocancellable on short hop again, because if you're gonna make those moves have sh*t range and damage, then don't make them unsafe to approach or shield pressure with as well. It'd be a start.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
As far as his aerial game goes, I think his dair needs the hits to link together better, and his up air needs a bigger hitbox or have fair auto cancel.

I think his ground normals are alright enough. Maybe usmash could get some more I frames and dsmash could be a true multihit move? It's a little silly that you can just clank/powershield one hit and then literally run right through the rest of the attack to punish.

I really dont see the need for 3 kill throws. Keep the uthrow as a kill throw, have fthrow and bthrow as regular throws and give him something for his grab. Less startup or endlag would be great, i would trade the bthrow/fthrow killthrow for that.

I I'm not in favor of getting rid of all of Lucases issues though, he needs to have some problems to be a balanced character. One problem he doesn't need though is to be a nerfed semiclone of Ness...

K3H

Smash Cadet
As far as his aerial game goes, I think his dair needs the hits to link together better, and his up air needs a bigger hitbox or have fair auto cancel.

I think his ground normals are alright enough. Maybe usmash could get some more I frames and dsmash could be a true multihit move? It's a little silly that you can just clank/powershield one hit and then literally run right through the rest of the attack to punish.

I really dont see the need for 3 kill throws. Keep the uthrow as a kill throw, have fthrow and bthrow as regular throws and give him something for his grab. Less startup or endlag would be great, i would trade the bthrow/fthrow killthrow for that.

I I'm not in favor of getting rid of all of Lucases issues though, he needs to have some problems to be a balanced character. One problem he doesn't need though is to be a nerfed semiclone of Ness...
I wouldn't mind it if Uthrow was his only kill throw, if they made it stronger.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Just standardize his grab to be on par with the other tether grabs in the game. You can't even say "oh, but that would make him OP" when ZSS can get a grab on you at 30% then finish you off the top with double up air to boost kick. Sure, as it stands right now his has the least cooldown, but it's still a tether grab. You're going to get punished just as hard for whiffing it as Samus/ZSS/Link will. I'd much rather be able to grab a swordsman through their sword.

As for his aerials, the only one I really have a problem with is up air. Tiny hitbox, with hard landing lag. Fair is OK, imo, as it can lock opponents with the sour spot or send them flying off-stage (or kill) when sweet spotted. Lucas loves getting his opponents off-stage. With a good enough gimp game you can close out stocks at some pretty early percentages with a fair off of a down throw combo. Dair is a bit more situational, but it's still great a racking up damage at early percentages, not to mention it's a ridiculously easy spike to hit against most of the cast. Bair is already an amazing move, so it doesn't need any changes. It's largest hitbox is the meteor and it's active for a whopping 6 frames (15 - 21) without any sort of staling. It also works great to wall off opponents when you use it to retreat.

F-smash is probably one of the best f-smashes in the game, and down smash at the ledge edge-guards a large percent of the cast when timed correctly. The only thing I'd improve with up smash is the I-frames. As it is right now you have to basically time the input as you're getting hit, which is extremely impractical against anything that's not a multi-hit move, and even then you have to know exactly how many hits the move has, and have enough experience with the hitlag, shield stun, and other interactions to be able to time it correctly. A two-frame extension wouldn't be too out of the question in my opinion. 1 - 6 would be just enough of a window for Up smash parrying to be a viable thing.

As for specials, maybe a bit less start-up on his Magnet. PK Fire is great, PK Thunder is great, though that cooldown when you land on-stage is ridiculous if you don't slide into the ground. PK Freeze is a great edge-guarding tool, and you can use it to bait an opponent because of its low cooldown.

Random little tidbit: You will probably never die if someone counters your up smash. Reason being that the first hit of up smash (the two grounded hitboxes on either side of Lucas) only does a measly 2% damage with only enough knockback to link into the sweet spot right above him. If they wanted to counter the strongest hit they only have a two-frame window to do so, as the weak launchers on the ground hit frame 28, followed two frames later by the sweet spot of the move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom