• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Lucario's Play In Field Phase

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
I'm having lots of trouble with Lucario in Field Phase when trying to be on the defensive. Is how I play the phase just pressure with aura sphere and get the phase shift? Someone please give any feedback

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
Well what exactly are you having a problem with? Do you feel like you cant approach or apply pressure? I like to stay close personally. Try and use counter then quickly press r and whichever direction to dash cancel the counter. This will help you abosorb some projectiles. Grab them if you find them shielding and countering a lot as well and poke them. Try playing in practice mode the moves that switch to duel phase for lucario. I know this isnt the best advice but hope it gives you a starting point

GR8gamer

Smash Rookie
<- + Weak or -> + Weak are both good for their large horizontal hit-boxes
Weak air is big vertically , good range
Strong air is a quick approach tool, very likely to cause phase shift
v + Weak covers all 360 degrees around lucario, i think it has a bit of end-lag though
Neutral Strong is good for rushing in
^ + Weak is also good for rushing in
Neutral Weak and Neutral Poke-move are both good for defensive spacing
Also don't forget about grabs! : Weak + Jump (You can also set this as a trigger button in the controller settings!)
:4lucario:

GR8gamer

Smash Rookie
What do you mean here? (sorry, new to these king of fighters, still trying to learn every bit I can!)
By pressing y+b your pokemon will perform a grab which is the ideal way to deal with an oppenent using a counter attack
(Personally i set grab as a trigger button because of smash bros muscle memory n' stuff)

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
By pressing y+b your pokemon will perform a grab which is the ideal way to deal with an oppenent using a counter attack
(Personally i set grab as a trigger button because of smash bros muscle memory n' stuff)
Oh yeah I know what to do to grab etc. I think I quoted in the wrong post anyway... lol. I saw somewhere about weak air causes "stuttering" on block. Don't suppose you know what that mean do you? What are it's uses?

GR8gamer

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah I know what to do to grab etc. I think I quoted in the wrong post anyway... lol. I saw somewhere about weak air causes "stuttering" on block. Don't suppose you know what that mean do you? What are it's uses?
i dont know honestly, this is the first time i heard the term stuttering in pokken.

Tchukkelz

Smash Rookie
In Pokkén, knowledge of the other character and their abilities is way, WAY more important than it is in Smash Bros., and that's saying something. For example you really want to turtle against Chandelure in the field phase since its ranged attacks don't do any chip damage., and then combo the feces out of it in the duel phase. But against Blaziken you can kinda pressure him in the field phase because he doesn't have super reliable projectiles like you do, but you need to be more careful the duel phase against him.

All I can say that GR8gamer hasn't already is that you should abuse the power of your neutral y into a combo, the one that looks like a small, slow aura sphere followed by a larger, faster one. Against Suicune and Chandelure this doesn't really work, but it does against most other Pokémon.

bluesm0ke

Smash Rookie
NNID
sdlonghorns11
Against most zoners in field phase: braixen, chandelure, suicune, etc., I rarely space or zone with projectiles because theirs outright beat ours. Against those characters, i like to shield cancel homing attack, so I'm always covering ground towards them while having the option of shield. Dash cancelling counter attacks can also be a useful way to eat up projectiles while staying mobile. Against slow characters with bad projectiles: machamp, blaziken, garchomp, etc, i find that starting the match with an aerial weak can be the best option because it covers immediate jump options from them. A weak projectile followed by a decently charged aura sphere can apply decent pressure. If they get close i find that back weak is the easiest "get-off me" tool because it acts as a counter.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Y, Y is great for punishing mistakes, as it has quicker startup than your strong moves. Charged Aerial Aura Sphere is a decent stall, and the homing is pretty good, too.

Top Bottom