• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Grabs

choako

Smash Rookie
One of the biggest advantages of playing a character like Ness, Robin, or Pit is the KO potential off of their forward and back grabs.

I'm sure someone's already posted something like this, but as Lucario mains, which grab is the most versatile?
I've been noticing the up grab is good for setting up f-air combos, but I just wanted peoples opinions on to which grab is the best.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
UThrow into NAir early percent does good work, & when NAir out of a Full or Short Hop won't cut it, you shift to using UAir at medium percents or FAir if you prefer. But yeah UThrow is definitely Lucario's best throw. Shoutouts to Lucario for having a fast pummel rate as well.

DThrow is meh but FThrow & BThrow are ofc stage controlling throws. Although BThrow can KO near the ledge out of a pivot grab per-say with high Aura.

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
Uthrow > Uair is a true combo that kills at certain % against fastfalling, light characters like sheik or fox. but in general uthrow is the best. Dthrow is good if they're always DIing upthrow towards you, Fthrow and Bthrow are more positional than anything.

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
At high enough % Aura Sphere is a great option for coming off a Fthrow especially near a blastzone. Dthrow into Fair is also a good a option if you can multiple Fairs off. It's the closest thing to a wall of pain Lucario can get.

Keep Smashing :D

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Depending on Rage and Aura plus the opponent's percentage and weight, back throw will kill when close to the ledge. Sometimes I wish we were like Ness and had a back throw that would kill without so many factors to take into consideration.

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
Ive been tinkering with lucario for a long while, cause he has so much potential. If you have a fully charged aura sphere, fire it immediately after a back throw. I cant say itll work against EVERYONE, but its gotten me a solid kill or 2 on for glory. This works best at high aura, cause that spirit bomb will become (virtually) un dodgable

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
Would you back throw and then b-reverse the spirit bomb?
Yup, the key is to get it to them before they tech. If they tech roll towards the AS ive seen it be dodged. But spot dodgers and back rollers have no hope

Last edited:

Darxai

Smash Cadet
dthrow to fair
Advantages: more damage in early
Disadvantages: Doesn't work on all characters and can be DI'd out of.

Uthrow to nair
Advantages: quick, and pretty good for keeping enemies in the air
Disadvantages: God awful at high %s and some characters can jump out of it

Bthrow
Advantages: Good control, can kill at really high %s
Disadvantages: Has nothing to follow it out of. Maybe a dash attack at low %s but thats all i can think of.

Fthrow
Advantages: Extremely fast, good push power, stage control
Disadvantages: Cannot follow it out of with anything.

Hope that helps.

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
Does up throw to fair to nair, or up throw to fair to fair to nair, not actually combo? It's what I always do to non-floaty characters at low-medium percentages.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Some combos become invalid and turn into strings/reads depending on DI, rage, Aura, percentage, etc. It's important to recognize this and pay attention to percents.

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
Some combos become invalid and turn into strings/reads depending on DI, rage, Aura, percentage, etc. It's important to recognize this and pay attention to percents.
Oh I know, I just find it odd that it wasn't mentioned. I get it pretty consistently even with the DI behind because reverse fair works most times I do it. I just hope there isn't a secret way out of it that people learn with matchup knowledge. I'm the only Lucario in my area and I like my BnB's

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Is it fair to say that Lucario's fthrow and bthrow at low and mid %s work for tech chasing?

Or is he too slow for that?

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
Is it fair to say that Lucario's fthrow and bthrow at low and mid %s work for tech chasing?

Or is he too slow for that?
It depends, they can be used for that but only on certain techs and maybe with aura sphere. You usually aren't fast enough for anything other than that or a dash attack. They're better for stage controller or setting up edge guards, leave up or maybe down throw for comboing

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It depends, they can be used for that but only on certain techs and maybe with aura sphere. You usually aren't fast enough for anything other than that or a dash attack. They're better for stage controller or setting up edge guards, leave up or maybe down throw for comboing
If you backthrow and they tech in place or roll towards you, you can regrab~

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
On reaction?
Lucario has a very fast...uh...

this thing

So I just use that at lower %s to keep on the move, so I can dash to wherever they go, and at mid %s, I just run after them. If they tech in place, I grab, if they roll away, I continue running and either dash attack or grab, and if they roll towards me, I do a pivot ftilt.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You mean foxtrot?

Top Bottom