• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario in Brawl? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
Ok, I've seen so many hopes and requests and dreams for lucario being a playable character in brawl. My only question is why? Yeah, in diamond he was an ok pokemon to have, but he was nothing special.

I'm not trying to put down anyones opinions, you are all entitled to them, but I still would love to hear any arguments as to why he deserves a spot in one of Nintendo elite composite games

Convince me.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
i think this might be in the wrong section, but im not certain

i see what you mean. lucario doesnt really stand out from any other pokemon imo, but i definatley would rather see him in than the return of mewtwo (although mewtwo is a far more recognised character, i personally just dont like him)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Japan and America Love Lucario, his fanbase is massive. Nintendo reps have said many character inclusions are based on giving the fans what they want.

I don't really care for Lucario, and I am not apart of his fanbase... but this is common sense.

:034:

Smash Hero
There is no good reason. The things you'll end up seeing is...

"He IS Teh fightning pkemn!!1!"

"omfg he wus in a movie as only nonlegendryy"

"he is cool lol"

"he is polplar"

Really, there is NO good reason to put him in. The only thing he has going for him is popularity, which doesn't matter much seeing how Sakurai makes popular Pokémon into a Pokéball. The no playable legendaries thing is **** because of Mewtwo. Lucario is nothing special, really.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
Look at who he is, and his possible moveset and it will all make sense. In this current era of Pokemon Lucario is VERY popular.

His human shape makes him a great brawl candidate. Attacks like Aura Sphere and Bone Rush look like they could very well be smash bros material.

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they can't be in it. Just because you think they're unpopular doesn't mean they are. Just look at Olimar.

Novus

Smash Apprentice
"Really, there is NO good reason to put him in. The only thing he has going for him is popularity, which doesn't matter much"

lol. Serious?

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they can't be in it. Just because you think they're unpopular doesn't mean they are. Just look at Olimar.
NEWSFLASH:

Olimar was HELLA popular. he was one of the most requested characters for Brawl up there with Lucas, Dedede, Ridley, Diddy and Geno.

Smash Hero
Look at who he is, and his possible moveset and it will all make sense. In this current era of Pokemon Lucario is VERY popular.

His human shape makes him a great brawl candidate. Attacks like Aura Sphere and Bone Rush look like they could very well be smash bros material.

Wow, you've proven nothing. Amazing.

Of course, he's popular. I never denied that. The thing is - a Pokémon needs to TRULY stand out from the 493 others, which it really DOESN'T. Mewtwo, Pikachu, they stand out. They're known throughout the gaming world, where Lucario isn't.

Lucario having a human shape, again, means nothing. Pikachu, Pichu and Jigglypuff didn't have human shapes at all and now Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard don't either. This holds absolutely no ground.

And Olimar was REALLY popular... He got three entries on Sakurai's poll, only to be bested by Sonic, King DeDeDe, Ridley, Ike, Geno and Diddy, who had 5 and 4 votes.

EDIT:

Some ignorant person? said:
"Really, there is NO good reason to put him in. The only thing he has going for him is popularity, which doesn't matter much"

lol. Serious?
Sakurai. I think he MIGHT be making this game. said:
Now, this one is popular. This is Deoxys, a DNA Pokémon. It appears on command from a Poké Ball!

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
I realize he is popular at the moment. But not in the Videogame sense, only in the context of the movies. Sakurai wouldn't put in a popular movie character cause that isn't keeping to the ideals of the game(although I realize in a round-about way that is why pikachu is in the game. but pikachu is a different story) The minute you start doing that is when the Smash series becomes a cheapened POS that no one plays anymore.

I just think too many people take their favorite character and go crazy over pushing them for entry into brawl without taking into consideration the logistics of it. For instance, I would love optimus prime to be in brawl, but I understand why that would be a horrible idea that would never ever work.

Also, while lucario may "have a great moveset available" if you think about it so does nearly every other pokemon.
The pokemon series is the most represented in the smash series after mario bros. Does it really need another pokemon PC?

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
Wow, you've proven nothing. Amazing.

Of course, he's popular. I never denied that. The thing is - a Pokémon needs to TRULY stand out from the 493 others, which it really DOESN'T. Mewtwo, Pikachu, they stand out. They're known throughout the gaming world, where Lucario isn't.

Lucario having a human shape, again, means nothing. Pikachu, Pichu and Jigglypuff didn't have human shapes at all and now Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard don't either. This holds absolutely no ground.

And Olimar was REALLY popular... He got three entries on Sakurai's poll, only to be bested by Sonic, King DeDeDe, Ridley, Ike, Geno and Diddy, who had 5 and 4 votes.

EDIT:
No need to be rude.

Lucario is unique. With his typing and moveset, this is what sets him apart from other pokemon. Pikachu and Jigglypuff sure aren't anything special, but they're the top two Pokemon in terms of popularity. Lucario is gaining that popularity, especially with a movie based around him.

My first response had nothing to do with Pikachu and Mewtwo

And no, not everyone has to have a human shape, but having one makes the mechanics of him moving around and jumping and attacking a little easier to figure out.

Wait, so Olimar was really popular, but he got beat out by 6 other characters? I mean, I understand to be in the poll in the first place was saying something, but there are quite a few more characters above him on the totem pole.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I honestly hate Lucario and well Pokemons(new ones) in general, and Deoxis was more popular. I don't really see his massive popularity, i didn't even know about Lucario until i joined in this forum.

Edit:

Lucario is unique
Isn't he a fighter pokemon? like a million others? Besides i can hardly see a FIGHTHING pokemon be unique on a FIGHTHING game.

So? he does Hadookens. So does Mewtwo.

Smash Hero
I realize he is popular at the moment. But not in the Videogame sense, only in the context of the movies. Sakurai wouldn't put in a popular movie character cause that isn't keeping to the ideals of the game(although I realize in a round-about way that is why pikachu is in the game. but pikachu is a different story) The minute you start doing that is when the Smash series becomes a cheapened POS that no one plays anymore.
Well, Sakurai actually had total freedom on this game EXCEPT four characters - Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby. For the rest, he could do whatever he wanted with the game.

The pokemon series is the most represented in the smash series after mario bros. Does it really need another pokemon PC?
Well, I'd like it to. The thing is, I just want some logical 3rd or 4th gen rep. The thing is, so far only Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer have been confirmed. Whether Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are returning... That would give 4 reps, since Pichu will probably be cut. I would like a good fifth representative with a good original concept.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
. Pikachu and Jigglypuff sure aren't anything special, but they're the top two Pokemon in terms of popularity. Lucario is gaining that popularity, especially with a movie based around him.
You know, I have to agree that you have something there...but still.
Lucario is nothing as popular enough or unique enough to deserve a spot in brawl, let alone get one.
Maybe in Super Smash Brothers 3: Fracas :laugh:

if he were to be put in, it would really sully the game for me and I would be tremendously disappointed in Sakurai for kowtowing to the Bad-anime loving crowd.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Well the 4th gen should at least get some rep since, it's I dunno the most recent gen. Brawl should at least to an extent represent gaming as it is when it comes out. especially for ongoing franchises like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. It would be boring to only represent the first gen, like it is so far in Brawl.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
I honestly hate Lucario and well Pokemons(new ones) in general, and Deoxis was more popular. I don't really see his massive popularity, i didn't even know about Lucario until i joined in this forum.

Edit:

Isn't he a fighter pokemon? like a million others? Besides i can hardly see a FIGHTHING pokemon be unique on a FIGHTHING game.

So? he does Hadookens. So does Mewtwo.
Way to cherry pick my post.

Lucario is unique in the world of pokemon with his typing and moveset. - Fact.

Fighting Pokemon aren't unique in a fighting game. - Opinion.

They could have just as easily put in someone like Machamp, or Hitmonchan, but they aren't NEAR as popular as Lucario. Of course popularity has to do with inclusion, so please don't argue that point.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
You know, I have to agree that you have something there...but still.
Lucario is nothing as popular enough or unique enough to deserve a spot in brawl, let alone get one.
Maybe in Super Smash Brothers 3: Fracas :laugh:

if he were to be put in, it would really sully the game for me and I would be tremendously disappointed in Sakurai for kowtowing to the Bad-anime loving crowd.
Now I really hope he puts him in.

Adventure.exe

Smash Rookie
Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
He was the title character of the film, and he's been personified and given a depth of character unrivaled by almost any other Pokémon. He's been in a load of advertising and been flaunted around quite a lot to demonstrate the new gen of Pokémon games.

I'm not saying Lucario will be playable, I'm just saying that he's been singled out amongst those 493 as a genuine character and not just one monster of many.

Smash Hero
No need to be rude.

Lucario is unique.

OF lolno COURSE

Pikachu and Jigglypuff sure aren't anything special, but they're the top two Pokemon in terms of popularity. Lucario is gaining that popularity, especially with a movie based around him.
Pikachu stars in EVERY single movie. Jigglypuff is losing popularity. Lucario has ONE movie in which Mew starred just as much. Hell, the movie is called Lucario and the Mystery of MEW.

And no, not everyone has to have a human shape, but having one makes the mechanics of him moving around and jumping and attacking a little easier to figure out.
They... Don't seem to care. They have a much larger team and willing to do that extra bit to get unique and original characters. Just look at Olimar, Snake and the Trainer.

Wait, so Olimar was really popular, but he got beat out by 6 other characters? I mean, I understand to be in the poll in the first place was saying something, but there are quite a few more characters above him on the totem pole.
You have to understand that there were over 9000 a lot of characters under him. At least 10 with multiple entries, and then at least 50 other entries. The only Pokémon making it to the list was.... Gardevoir! Who is a Pokéball!

And Steven Stone, but...

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
He was the title character of the film, and he's been personified and given a depth of character unrivaled by almost any other Pokémon. He's been in a load of advertising and been flaunted around quite a lot to demonstrate the new gen of Pokémon games.

I'm not saying Lucario will be playable, I'm just saying that he's been singled out amongst those 493 as a genuine character and not just one monster of many.
Great first post m8 :)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
If and only if Sakurai must put in a 4th Gen representative, the two most likely candidates are/were Lucario and Munchlax (who is a Pokéball). While Pikachu is the face of Pokémon, Lucario is the closest Diamond & Pearl specifically have to a mascot (think 4th Gen mascot). Lucario is undeniably popular in both countries (online, Lucario trades are very numerous), and has a Pokémon game movepool that could be easily translated into a SSB game.

There still is no hardcore proof that Lucario MUST be in the game. Lucario has a good enough chance as far as I can see. And no, LUCARIO DOES NOT MEAN NO MEWTWO! Why would people think Lucario would replace Mewtwo, simply because of a couple of similarities is beyond me.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
No need to be rude.

Lucario is unique. With his typing and moveset, this is what sets him apart from other pokemon. Pikachu and Jigglypuff sure aren't anything special, but they're the top two Pokemon in terms of popularity. Lucario is gaining that popularity, especially with a movie based around him.

My first response had nothing to do with Pikachu and Mewtwo

Bingo.

Ask yourselves, guys. Why the hell Pikachu and Jigglypuff, if you look at it from just a game perspective? None. They were popular in Japan. Popularity transferred over to anime, which in turn fed back into the games (Pokemon yellow, Pikachu-dressed trainers in later games, etc).

The same is happening with Lucario. Not only was he one of the first Pokemon to revealed, he's one of the most popular of this generation, and in fact represents it. This transferred into the movie where he's apparently a main character, and can talk. We'll see this come back in Brawl.

Seriously, his status and abilities in the game mean nothing, so think outside the box.

And also, yeah, this topic belongs in character discussion, not general discussion.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Way to cherry pick my post.

Lucario is unique in the world of pokemon with his typing and moveset. - Fact.

Fighting Pokemon aren't unique in a fighting game. - Opinion.

They could have just as easily put in someone like Machamp, or Hitmonchan, but they aren't NEAR as popular as Lucario. Of course popularity has to do with inclusion, so please don't argue that point.
Ok, Explain to me how a fighthing pokemon can be unique in a fighthing game, also i'm pretty sure the machamps(chomps this and that) are more popular than a dog. Don't get me wrong, if he get's in i don't really care he is the only decent pokemon of the 4th generation, but if he gets in replacing Mewtwo that's madness(lolol yes sparta).

Smash Hero
He was the title character of the film, and he's been personified and given a depth of character unrivaled by almost any other Pokémon. He's been in a load of advertising and been flaunted around quite a lot to demonstrate the new gen of Pokémon games. .
Uhm. He has the most personality in NON-CANON movies. And if it really was about personality, Meowth would've been playable.

I think Shuma said it all - he had no idea who Lucario was before he went to SmashBoards. Yet you say he's advertised a whole lot. Actually, he's was flaunted around as a new 4th gen, but so was Munchlax...

cdude1034

Smash Cadet

OF lolno COURSE

Pikachu stars in EVERY single movie. Jigglypuff is losing popularity. Lucario has ONE movie in which Mew starred just as much. Hell, the movie is called Lucario and the Mystery of MEW.

They... Don't seem to care. They have a much larger team and willing to do that extra bit to get unique and original characters. Just look at Olimar, Snake and the Trainer.

You have to understand that there were over 9000 a lot of characters under him. At least 10 with multiple entries, and then at least 50 other entries. The only Pokémon making it to the list was.... Gardevoir! Who is a Pokéball!

And Steven Stone, but...
I realize Olimar is popular enough to make it, and honestly, I completely forgot why I brought him up in the first place. Something about popularity. Anyway.

I said that Lucario was unique (in the world of Pokemon) in his typing and moveset.

Even if Jigglypuff is losing popularity, he's still top two.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to argue he SHOULD make it in, just why it was a decent choice if we was in. Only time will tell if Sakurai included him or not. My personal opinion, I hope he does include him, simply because I like the idea of as many playable characters as possible.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
Bingo.

Ask yourselves, guys. Why the hell Pikachu and Jigglypuff, if you look at it from just a game perspective? None. They were popular in Japan. Popularity transferred over to anime, which in turn fed back into the games (Pokemon yellow, Pikachu-dressed trainers in later games, etc).

The same is happening with Lucario. Not only was he one of the first Pokemon to revealed, he's one of the most popular of this generation, and in fact represents it. This transferred into the movie where he's apparently a main character, and can talk. We'll see this come back in Brawl.

Seriously, his status and abilities in the game mean nothing, so think outside the box.

And also, yeah, this topic belongs in character discussion, not general discussion.
I see where you are coming from on this one, and what more you articulated it perfectly.
but do you think his popularity is such that he should get a spot as a PC in brawl?
I can understand a pokeball, that would be fine. But a playable character should be something special. A Nintendo Icon. not just a game icon.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
I mean look at the freaking Ice Climbers, lets say they were never in Melee and some people would go "ICE CLIMBERS FOR BRAWL!"

They would get laughed at, and the other half of the people would ask: "Who?"

They would get awsered that they were the main characters of some crappy old Nintendo game(Dont get me wrong I LOVE the IC's, I just dont like their original game)

And then they too would get laughed at, but they're in, and people even said they wouldnt make it back for Brawl because they "sucked" but they're still in!

Now tell me, if characters like them, who had like NO fan-base, and who were almost never heard of get in, why wouldnt Lucario? Who is immensley popular and is a unique Pokemon?

Smash Hero
Bingo.

So far only Pikachu (who HAD to be in the game) and Pokémon Trainer have been confirmed. Jigglypuff was put in 64 due to time restraints, they wanted to put Pit in instead. They planned on replacing Jiggs in Melee but decided not to due to popularity. Yes, Jiggs was popular at the time. But now, with no recent anime appearances WHATSOEVER, Jiggly's popularity really faded.

And, guys, popularity doesn't mean that much in the Pokémon franchise. Deoxys, the most popular movie Pokémon, is a Pokéball. Gardevoir, the only Pokémon to grace Sakurai's Poll, is a Pokéball.

Smash Hero
I mean look at the freaking Ice Climbers, lets say they were never in Melee and some people would go "ICE CLIMBERS FOR BRAWL!"

They would get awsered that they were the main characters of some crappy old Nintendo game(Dont get me wrong I LOVE the IC's, I just dont like their original game)

And then they too would get laughed at, but they're in, and people even said they wouldnt make it back for Brawl because they "sucked" but they're still in!

Now tell me, if characters like them, who had like NO fan-base, and who were almost never heard of get in, why wouldnt Lucario? Who is immensley popular and is a unique Pokemon?
What? By your logic, I could just go CHERUBI FOR BRAWL and then have WELL THE ICE CLIMBERS WERE UNEXPECTED as a logical argument.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet

Now tell me, if characters like them, who had like NO fan-base, and who were almost never heard of get in, why wouldnt Lucario?
THAT is why I started this thread. I have to say I love your argument and I agree with it. If Lucario was in brawl I would hate it. But the Smash after brawl I would be fine with him, probably wouldn't play as him. But wouldn't mind. Cause to be honest I never liked the Ice Climbers, but they are a part of Smash Bros. now whether I like it or not.

Thanks for the intelligent argument!

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
I know nothing about pokemon, but I got a little question.

If this Lucario fella is so popular... why have I never heard of him?

I had heard of Mewtwo before I saw him in Melee.

Kor

Smash Apprentice

OF lolno COURSE

And Steven Stone, but...
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/steel.shtml

Lucario is the only Fighting Steel type pokemon out of all 493. He is unique. I'll assume you know nothing of pokemon, since you seem to only be taking one type into consideration, when Dual-types make up more than 90% of the game.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I see where you are coming from on this one, and what more you articulated it perfectly.
but do you think his popularity is such that he should get a spot as a PC in brawl?
I can understand a pokeball, that would be fine. But a playable character should be something special. A Nintendo Icon. not just a game icon.
Franchise icons are pretty much Nintendo icons. Lucario is pretty much the icon of the latest Pokemon generation (hell, the third one didn't even have one, really, aside from the ubers... but they always represent their generation in their own uber way). So yes, he does have a good chance of being a playable character because if there is one Pokemon that people will recognize from this generation, it's Lucario.

So far only Pikachu (who HAD to be in the game) and Pokémon Trainer have been confirmed. Jigglypuff was put in 64 due to time restraints, they wanted to put Pit in instead. They planned on replacing Jiggs in Melee but decided not to due to popularity. Yes, Jiggs was popular at the time. But now, with no recent anime appearances WHATSOEVER, Jiggly's popularity really faded.

And, guys, popularity doesn't mean that much in the Pokémon franchise. Deoxys, the most popular movie Pokémon, is a Pokéball. Gardevoir, the only Pokémon to grace Sakurai's Poll, is a Pokéball.
True, Jiggly's popularity's been fading, but his role has already been established twice. Why take him out now? Although I see where you're getting at, and it's quite possible, but Jigglypuff's become more of a Smash icon than a Pokemon icon, imo. :p

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I always find the whole Lucario debate kinda funny. I don't care if Pikachu and PT are the only Pokemon characters in Brawl... anyways, lets all think back to Melee, not long after the 2nd generation was introduced.

There were plenty of good, "cool", popular characters to choose from. Scizor, Tyranitar, Chikorita, hell even Maril would have made for an interesting character. What did we get?...

WHAT DID WE GET?!?!?

Mark my words, IF we get a 4th gen rep, it won't be Lucario but instead some crappy baby form of some other better, more popular Pokemon (Doesn't Lucario have one?) that no one really cares about. And this time, some of us such as myself won't even know who it is...

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we should put Missingno in the game too, just to be safe. After all, he is unique in his typing and moveset.
He is the only catchable ??? type and he has fly twice.
MISSINGNO FOR BRAWL1!111one
Well you just have the most amazing logic, ever.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like Lucario, but I KNOW he's in Brawl...

Mostly just a gut feeling...and some info...

Smash Hero
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/steel.shtml

Lucario is the only Fighting Steel type pokemon out of all 493. He is unique. I'll assume you know nothing of pokemon, since you seem to only be taking one type into consideration, when Dual-types make up more than 90% of the game.
I play the games, frequently, thank you very much. Having steel equals what? I really don't see how types matter. At all. But if you wanna play that game...

Croagunk for Brawl. The only Poison and Fighting type.
Houndoom for Brawl. The only Dark and Fire type.
Weavile for Brawl. The only Dark and Ice type.
Lantern for Brawl. The only Water and Electricity type.

I can go on for this for quite a while.

Maybe we should put Missingno in the game too, just to be safe. After all, he is unique in his typing and moveset.
He is the only catchable ??? type and he has fly twice.
MISSINGNO FOR BRAWL1!111one
Actually, you're saying the exact same things as the Lucario fanboys... How about I make a template?

"Maybe we should put <insert pokémon with unique type> in Brawl. He could have a very original moveset! <insert said pokémon> for Brawl!"

True, Jiggly's popularity's been fading, but his role has already been established twice. Why take him out now? Although I see where you're getting at, and it's quite possible, but Jigglypuff's become more of a Smash icon than a Pokemon icon, imo. :p
Point. It's kinda tradition to unlock Jiggs first now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom