• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario: A combo king in the making...

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Definitely one of the harder characters to grow accustomed to, Lucario is a powerful fighter and although the learning curve is greater, the results are as well. Obviously a lot of people know about the pseudo SHFFL with his dair (you can short hop, to JC with a Dair) and I find that if you want to play Lucario aggressively his force palm is where it's at. Approach using a force palm close in because it grabs though the range is intensely short for the grab. Counter is difficult to use but can be mastered in a way to set up air combos.

The Back air is one of his best reliances, having high knockback. Aura Sphere is a power shot like most people will say, but is small relatively comparative when he's at weaker (lower) percentages. His forward throw and back have the best knockback of the 4, I try to rely on his forward one for now because it helps to set up better combos. The up one is virtually useless, and allows for time to DI and escape. The down throw can set up for a few combos which are pretty and it still sends them upwards.

His fair is pretty decent though lacks range which can be an issue, and as a result lacks safety. his UpSmash is good but IMO one of his best land moves is his uptilt. Decent damage, decent knockback, and it can sweep all around him. It also can be a combo starter. For Lucario I take off tap jumping because he has no upB out of shield like some characters. His neutral air hits all around him and reminds me of Zelda's from Melee (Zelda's in brawl is much better).

When I first tried Lucario I thought that his force palm was pointless, but more and more I'm finding good uses for it as starters to an approach.

Like everyone else, this is just my impressions thus far, and I'm hardly mastered him, but I want other peoples inputs on good combos too as I'm trying my best to get good with him.

So people, thoughts?

asam28

Smash Rookie
good analysis. i think everyone would do well to use more spot dodge dash cancelling (yes it works well) spot dodging out the *** may make it an annoying round but it lets you get close, quick, without danger. then go for a grab. his ability to be EVERYWHERE is awesome. like an upthrow to fair or nair and then DOWN AIR FTW!! all around crazyy good character. plus he comes with his own mindgames. his auras hit so much farther than his body. i get so many people with it.

havent used his back air much but it seems good with nice knockback. but i prefer down air cuz it ROCKS. also becasue of slow mobility of...everyone, the B blast charge thing is actually really easy to spam and use. its slow enough so that its hard to spot dodge and if you roll away from it, it moves at almosr the same speed and hits u anyways. all around lucario for high tier imo

good analysis though man.

p.s. after i get more play experience with my buddies (really good snake, ike, marth, and samus) ill be posting a lucario guid maybe.

Laser_smasher

Smash Rookie
The fair is actually more better than you think.

You can get off the stage and chase the opponent into a double fair, then double jump into a dair, causing an almost instant K.O.

That is, if you hit the with the dair with the whole circle.

Utilt works very well. Lucario's ground game isn't so impressive to me though. Can anyone show me highlights?

The fair is actually more better than you think.

You can get off the stage and chase the opponent into a double fair, then double jump into a dair, causing an almost instant K.O.

That is, if you hit the with the dair with the whole circle.

Utilt works very well. Lucario's ground game isn't so impressive to me though. Can anyone show me highlights?
Lucario's FTilt and DTilt combo well into other crap. I've been able to use FThrow, FTilt, Aura Sphere as a combo. Also, ADash into USmash into UAir work pretty well too at low percents. Definitely has some serious air game, but his ground isn't so bad either.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Highlights of lucario's ground game:

Great spacing options. His tilts are mostly fast and safe and altogether don't have any blind spots. Loads of range on his Fsmash despite the speed. Overall priority is great thanks to disjointed hitboxes. Very good AAA combo with nice stun and his grab game is solid considering he has an easier time shield grabbing than most characters for some reason. His dodges are also excellent. Fast and with lots of I-frames.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can pretty much tell you that Lucario's smash attacks are WAY more reliable than Mewtwo's smash attacks. Plus, those attacks become more deadly as Lucario's damage rises.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lucario can chain grab bigger opponents such as Bowser and DK with his up throw. I chain that till the percentace is aroud 45 then I grab them with a force palm and let loose an aura sphere.

Another combo is JC the dair then into a barrage of fairs, use my second jump and push them offscreen with more fairs. All the fairs usually hits if their percentage is around 50.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Lucario can chain grab bigger opponents such as Bowser and DK with his up throw. I chain that till the percentace is aroud 45 then I grab them with a force palm and let loose an aura sphere.

Another combo is JC the dair then into a barrage of fairs, use my second jump and push them offscreen with more fairs. All the fairs usually hits if their percentage is around 50 and the other character is being played by a person without thumbs.
Altered for factual accuracy.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Alright, so happy to see some of you guys keeping up with the combo ideas. I will admit, as someone posted, the Force Palm (>B) is a tech chase for up to 30% on light weight opponents and can rack up more on heaviers as you go along though it's difficult to start because the first force palm needs to grab in order for it to work. The Up Throw chain grab is nice to know against heavys, so I'll have to try that out later at some point.

I think the best way to start combos so far is the up-tilt maybe twice even and then following with a few aerials, though his dair is the only high distance aerial he has. Oh, and to anyone reading who hasn't played, be careful if you attempt an approach with dair because if you're not careful you'll be left wide open.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Force Palm chain grab until u cant then follow up with a fair into a dair, hits evertime since the fair puts u right above them allowing u to downair right away. You do NOT need to jump after the fair, u can go right into it.

also fairs lead into utilts pretty well.

Famous

Smash Champion
Altered for factual accuracy.

The majority of people I've played were unable to break out. Yes, there were quite skilled and they do have thumbs.

I also use the uptilt as mentioned ubove. I sometimes uptilt a person a few times then grab and use the f-throw, chase them and use fairs. If there perecentage is low I would just use the dair to rack up damage.

asam28

Smash Rookie
as far as ground game. any of his attacks space you out nicely. people seem to have difficulty adjusting to the range. as far as actual ground game my most common tactic is spot dodge out the butt and grab like a *****. tilts are decent too. i just enjoy throws cuz he chains well into them. like up throw fair fair (fair again if theyre bad) and down air. aura sphere is fun to throw in there as well.

Leth

Smash Rookie
In my experience double fairs almost -always- work, and are real easy to space as long as you're moving (they keep hitting for ages). Dash -> spot dodge -> SH dair is my favorite approach atm.

Also, you probably know that dair can knockback in almost any direction. Do you think it's possible to get a KO off the top of the stage with this?

Milln

Smash Champion
If they're sent diagonally upwards... I've never sent anyone straight up with my dair before. =o

al-x_clip

Smash Apprentice
yeah lucario is very powerful he has so much combos if you know how to control him good and as you all know his down air is very effective XD

Top Bottom