• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Nostalgia is a powerful tool. If Wolf was in Melee and Roy was in Brawl, the reverse was inevitable.
Nostalgia aside, we already got Robin and Lucina. People freaked out when Lucas was removed, and he ended up returning. I was almost 100% positive the same would happen with Wolf, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Although it does make me mad how quickly people lost interest in Roy. Fans begged for him to return, he finally did, everyone freaked out for about a month and called him top-tier, then they realized how bad he was and completely lost interest. I mean, even the pre-patch Mewtwo supporters were more faithful to their character. Roy deserved a better comeback than that.

Anyway, I'll just leave it at that. On to a different topic.

Does anyone think there's a possibility of a Ridley reveal being tied in with Metroid Prime 4 gameplay at this year's E3?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nostalgia aside, we already got Robin and Lucina. People freaked out when Lucas was removed, and he ended up returning. I was almost 100% positive the same would happen with Wolf, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Although it does make me mad how quickly people lost interest in Roy. Fans begged for him to return, he finally did, everyone freaked out for about a month and called him top-tier, then they realized how bad he was and completely lost interest. I mean, even the pre-patch Mewtwo supporters were more faithful to their character. Roy deserved a better comeback than that.

Anyway, I'll just leave it at that. On to a different topic.

Does anyone think there's a possibility of a Ridley reveal being tied in with Metroid Prime 4 gameplay at this year's E3?
I definitely think that is possible. In fact I think if Ridley is in it that is definitely how he'll be announced. It's too good of an opportunity. If we see Metroid prime 4 at e3 and the smash trailer there announces any newcomer but Ridley I will lose all my hope that he might be playable.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The entire "tail/wings being an issue unless shrunken" thing has always confused me. I wouldn't mind if they decided to go with small wings/retractable tail as far as aesthetic design goes, but I've never thought they're a necessity and that Ridley's ordinarily large wingspan/tail length couldn't be "worked around." The wings I've always seen as being similar to Charizard's (and the Pits, Meta Knight Bayonetta's when she is jumping etc.) in that they primarily "extend" out towards the Z axis, and are tucked away when not in use (i.e. when Ridley is grounded). The tail while less straightforward, I pictured would only really be fully extended when attacking and not remain as a larger hurt box unless the animation made sense (disjoints be damned).

Hell, even in MSR, Ridley's tail is seen being curled up/tucked in for specific attacks. Going back to the gifs Dalek posted a while back for reference:

As for the simultaneous Metroid Prime 4 reveal, hard to say. Though Ridley was shown off during the initial reveals as a selling point for the 3D games he was in (Prime 1, Corruption and Other M), they did at least wait until being close to release before they teased him in Samus Returns. It's also hard to determine where the plot for 4 will even go aside from Sylux being involved, so who knows if the Pirates will even retain a large presence after their downfall in Corruption (and Ridley seemingly taking a sick day at the end of his last fight in Prime 3).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I actually think it's a decent chance. Maybe even likely. I know I shouldn't get hopes up but I'm still looking sideways at the Resetera moders hinting at something "big" and "too big" being announced for the last direct. I'm reminded of the Neogaf poster who at the last minute "predicted" Wii Fit Trainer, Animal Crosser, Mega Man, Little Mac and Mii. All 6 came true and it was that E3 the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were revealed.

I know everyone was brought back down to earth when the teaser clarified that he knew nothing but as I said before what in the world was he supposed to say besides nothing else? It's standard protocol unless you want to lose your privileges or job. I mean just look at the dudes track record with hinting things. He gets inside info and teases it without getting in trouble.

At the same time however Ridley and Too Big are kind of synonymous with Smash Bros right now. Maybe he was just hinting at Smash in general. Though thats kind of odd considering how specific the Too Big meme is.

Other mods were talking about how this direct would be "smashing" and it was obvious from the get go it was going to be revealed and they all knew it. Hindsight is not 20/20. Soon as I saw OG Splatoon models after all that Splatoon 2 blow out I knew we were getting Smash.

We'll see what happens. I just feel like with Miiverse, the ballot and even IGN questioning Sakurai directly about Ridley there has never been a better time for Sakurai to really change his stance.
- - -
How about this for a conspiracy theory. Remember the direct that Revealed Samus Returns remake? Remember how Bill said something to the effect of "if you're a fan of Smash Bros then..." something something Metroid. If I'm a fan of Smash keep an eye out for Metroid huh? The game that brought Ridley back again for a surprise final boss ending? Ok cool.

Then remember the Fallen Kingdom in Mario Odyssey? Giant purple dragons anyone?!

I'm telling you, Nintendo is setting us up for full on disclosure. Don't you want to believe?

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I made an aerial tilt set.
View attachment 140489

Ridley has poor range when attacking anything above him.
Only one flaw.

Dair should def be his tail pogo stick.
Or you could do what they do with Charizard and curl the tail around his body until he needs to use it. Also just make the wings smaller. Why not?

Honestly his Zero Mission proportions and posture are perfect.

Look at how compact that body is. A nice solid hurtbox. Small wings that don't get in the way. Small tail that doesn't get in the way. But still looks like Ridley. Perfect.
Just make that sucker the height of Bowser and your golden.

Of course he wouldn't look like his Zero Mission self. This is just to give you an idea of what his stance and proportions should be.
Since Ridley is the one character that has to be canon in smash of course, couldn't he just behave similar to how he is in Metroid? His Tail is never a hitbox (I believe). I know Mewtwo and Charizard don't even have hitboxes on their tail, so I've never seen an issue with his tail simply not having one.
I would if I was part of the large majority of Smash fans who wanted Roy back over Wolf. Still don't quite understand that.
The same reason why most fan rosters have 30 JRPG characters.
If it doesn't have a sword/ is female, they don't want it of course.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here is something interesting:

Looking at Young Samus next to Ridley in the Manga you could quite easily see a grown up Samus reaching at least the top of the base of his wings whilst he is crouched over. Yes Ridley is still quite large, but size difference would not be as crazy where he is like 2-3 times her height, especially if Ridley is crouching the whole time.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Only one flaw.

Dair should def be his tail pogo stick.

Since Ridley is the one character that has to be canon in smash of course, couldn't he just behave similar to how he is in Metroid? His Tail is never a hitbox (I believe). I know Mewtwo and Charizard don't even have hitboxes on their tail, so I've never seen an issue with his tail simply not having one.

The same reason why most fan rosters have 30 JRPG characters.
If it doesn't have a sword/ is female, they don't want it of course.
Well I was planning on his tail pogo being his Down Special and I didn't want a Sonic situation where three of his Special/regular attacks are the spin attack.

Admittedly I'm going to have him do a claw swipe and that's going to be hard to differentiate but one thing at a time.

Riddle hat

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Inkscape.

Wow, I forgot, did you ever learn how to vector?
I tried Inkscape, but I didn't get it (plus it acted SLOW). I used to work with Adobe Illustrator, but by vectors sucked. xD I don't imagine how my drawings would look vectorized.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I tried Inkscape, but I didn't get it (plus it acted SLOW). I used to work with Adobe Illustrator, but by vectors sucked. xD I don't imagine how my drawings would look vectorized.
That's a shame. Not sure why that happened to you.

Least you can still draw well!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If you had to pick, would you rather

A. Ridley is on the roster but it is the other m version and uses a mechanic where you start as little birdie and gradually eventually become full Ridley

B. Ridley is not on the regular roster but you can play as him in a gimicky playable boss mode

C. Real Ridley is on the playable roster but is cheap beyond brawl meta knight and it's basically cheating to play as him.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

A. Ridley is on the roster but it is the other m version and uses a mechanic where you start as little birdie and gradually eventually become full Ridley

B. Ridley is not on the regular roster but you can play as him in a gimicky playable boss mode

C. Real Ridley is on the playable roster but is cheap beyond brawl meta knight and it's basically cheating to play as him.
I would get C, I just want to kill people using him for fun, nothing more.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Easy. I pick "C" so I can get my sweet revenge on all those ignorant wackos who spammed "lul he's too big. get over yourself" every time I tried to have a tame debate with someone. :demon:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

C, because while it isn't ideal, at least in future games we'd have a proper Ridley and not some bastardized version of him.

Zeox

Smash Champion
D. Ridley is playable and this time, he have machine guns, sunglasses, a skateboard and he screams like in Metroid Fusion nonstop.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
D. Ridley is playable and this time, he have machine guns, sunglasses, a skateboard and he screams like in Metroid Fusion nonstop.
Reminds me of an old Miiverse post after Bayo was revealed. Someone drew Ridley with black hair, handguns, and glasses and wrote, "Hey, guys! It's me, Bayonetta! Let's get wicked or something!"

Man, I really need to find that picture. I know I saved it somewhere.

Morbi

Scavenger
(ignore this)
No

This is definitely the best option. Not even joking, if Sakurai came up to me and asked, I would pick the D.

None are ideal, but C, since he can hopefully receive balance patches and being cheap is better than not being present. :x
Only in the Smash community do people not want their character to be top tier. :laugh:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think it's too much wishful thinking but newcomers were already revealed around the time they had new games released/announced in the past (Villager with New Leaf, Rosalina with 3D World, Shulk with XC3D) so it is possible. Maybe like Metroid opens their presentation and the new character reveal (Ridley) closes it?

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

C. Hey, it's better for him to be an OP playable character than not be playable at all, right? Besides, there are patches and nerfs for things like that nowadays.

Also, I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but if Ridley becomes playable, what characters do you think would be his best/worst match-ups?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
(ignore this)
Spyro would play completely different, and thus wouldn't really mean anything apart from feeding the obvious "we already have a purple dragon" meme. Though I suppose it does mean something considering there are still people that think Ridley would play like a Charizard or even Bowser clone.

That said, I actually wouldn't mind seeing them both.

Pro tip, mods can see posts regardless of edits.

D

Deleted member

Spyro would play completely different, and thus wouldn't really mean anything apart from feeding the obvious "we already have a purple dragon" meme. Though I suppose it does mean something considering there are still people that think Ridley would play like a Charizard or even Bowser clone.

That said, I actually wouldn't mind seeing them both.
That was supposed to be a joke.

Pro tip, mods can see posts regardless of edits.
I'll keep that in mind for the future

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
IsmaR IsmaR

Weird time to bring it up, but I like your avatar. That from a piece somewhere, is there a full version, did you make it yourself?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Also, I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but if Ridley becomes playable, what characters do you think would be his best/worst match-ups?
Ironically, the same characters that give Samus match up problems would probably do the same for Ridley. Samus has problems dealing with both juggling and getting juggled (being "heavy but floaty" is an awkward combination) and finds it difficult dealing with rush down characters in general, as well as any character that excels at keeping you out. I'd imagine Ridley wouldn't have as much problems with securing KOs, however the large frame and larglely air-based moveset would only serve to exemplify the weaknesses.

tl;dr - :4bayonetta::4cloud::4diddy::4fox::4metaknight::4ness::4pit::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink::4zss:

That was supposed to be a joke.

I'll keep that in mind for the future
I responded to it as such, but still gave that explanation for the sake of it. No bad blood meant there.

IsmaR IsmaR

Weird time to bring it up, but I like your avatar. That from a piece somewhere, is there a full version, did you make it yourself?
No worries, I've posted the source on our Discord, but never posted it here.

Quillion

Smash Hero

I'd say C is the best option, but there really is no reason for Ridley to be cheap just because his bodily proportions are whacked-out compared to the rest of the currently playable cast.

Honestly, the real question is: would you accept Ridley with proportionally shrunken wings, tail, and limbs so that his model is suitable for Smash?

Going back one page, I think Koopaul Koopaul 's suggestion for following ZM Ridley's proportions would work too:

Or you could do what they do with Charizard and curl the tail around his body until he needs to use it. Also just make the wings smaller. Why not?

Honestly his Zero Mission proportions and posture are perfect.

Maybe elongate the wings a bit, though...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

C
Cause even if he does end up over-powered, large characters in Smash are still combo fodder, which would end up putting him in the same Tier Lucario and Little Mac are actually in which is "Depends on the Players"

Ah yes... Radley

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Anything but B.

I'd even take that Birdie to Ridley character. Anything at this point.

Because let's be real. While everyone here agrees that Ridley is not impossible, he can be done, it would probably take extra work. More work than the average character and that's probably the main reason why Ridley will most likely not be playable. Not because Sakurai can't, but because it would be extra work. Work that could be spent on making two or more easier characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Anything but B.

I'd even take that Birdie to Ridley character. Anything at this point.

Because let's be real. While everyone here agrees that Ridley is not impossible, he can be done, it would probably take extra work. More work than the average character and that's probably the main reason why Ridley will most likely not be playable. Not because Sakurai can't, but because it would be extra work. Work that could be spent on making two or more easier characters.
TBH, I don't really see shrinking wings, the tail, and maybe the limbs as being that much "extra work".

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I actually think it's a decent chance. Maybe even likely. I know I shouldn't get hopes up but I'm still looking sideways at the Resetera moders hinting at something "big" and "too big" being announced for the last direct. I'm reminded of the Neogaf poster who at the last minute "predicted" Wii Fit Trainer, Animal Crosser, Mega Man, Little Mac and Mii. All 6 came true and it was that E3 the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were revealed.

I know everyone was brought back down to earth when the teaser clarified that he knew nothing but as I said before what in the world was he supposed to say besides nothing else? It's standard protocol unless you want to lose your privileges or job. I mean just look at the dudes track record with hinting things. He gets inside info and teases it without getting in trouble.

At the same time however Ridley and Too Big are kind of synonymous with Smash Bros right now. Maybe he was just hinting at Smash in general. Though thats kind of odd considering how specific the Too Big meme is.

Other mods were talking about how this direct would be "smashing" and it was obvious from the get go it was going to be revealed and they all knew it. Hindsight is not 20/20. Soon as I saw OG Splatoon models after all that Splatoon 2 blow out I knew we were getting Smash.

We'll see what happens. I just feel like with Miiverse, the ballot and even IGN questioning Sakurai directly about Ridley there has never been a better time for Sakurai to really change his stance.
- - -
How about this for a conspiracy theory. Remember the direct that Revealed Samus Returns remake? Remember how Bill said something to the effect of "if you're a fan of Smash Bros then..." something something Metroid. If I'm a fan of Smash keep an eye out for Metroid huh? The game that brought Ridley back again for a surprise final boss ending? Ok cool.

Then remember the Fallen Kingdom in Mario Odyssey? Giant purple dragons anyone?!

I'm telling you, Nintendo is setting us up for full on disclosure. Don't you want to believe?
I was under the impression he prob did bad in the dlc ballet since ppl did not vote for him because they thought he was impossable

Koopaul

Smash Champion
TBH, I don't really see shrinking wings, the tail, and maybe the limbs as being that much "extra work".
It's more complicated than that. Due to his more somewhat complicated hurtbox tby nature they'd have make sure every animation and position his body was in was exactly right. They'd also have to constantly test just how far his attacks should reach, just how overall big everything should be for balancing reasons. It's already a huge pain to check and balance every character frame-by-frame for timing, hit-by-hit for stun and lag, damage, knockback, and more. But Ridley would add another level of testing to all that. The developers (just like the modders who put Ridley in Project M) whould have to constantly make adjustments to Ridley's base model. Shrinking and growing him, changing his poses, his stance, a bunch of other things.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's more complicated than that. Due to his more somewhat complicated hurtbox tby nature they'd have make sure every animation and position his body was in was exactly right. They'd also have to constantly test just how far his attacks should reach, just how overall big everything should be for balancing reasons. It's already a huge pain to check and balance every character frame-by-frame for timing, hit-by-hit for stun and lag, damage, knockback, and more. But Ridley would add another level of testing to all that. The developers (just like the modders who put Ridley in Project M) whould have to constantly make adjustments to Ridley's base model. Shrinking and growing him, changing his poses, his stance, a bunch of other things.
While I agree that Ridley might take extra work, I still think he's got a great chance. Even just from a marketing standpoint the sheer amount of media coverage Ridley would get would far surpass any two low priority characters that would be scrapped in the process.

Top Bottom