• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It's done. The final piece to my new signature. Ridley is an anatomical nightmare, but I actually enjoyed this.
ridley.png

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
xD I can get what you mean of him being a nightmare to drawn in his entirety. :3 But gotta adore how he came out and the lineless coloring!
Thanks Andrea, means a lot coming from one of the most active artists in this thread.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thanks Andrea, means a lot coming from one of the most active artists in this thread.
:3 Anytime! xD Well, I try to be active, but I feel that sooner or later I will barely be around. :D Hope to see you get to work on more art projects though!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
HELLO PEOPLE
Gosh it has been awhile...
Ready to get back to that Ridley support though!!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Let's see...

K. Rool's body and cape.
Ridley's face, tail, and wings.
Waluigi's cap, nose, and mustache.
Geno's hair.
Bandana Dee's spear.
Marx's ball.

There's only one logical explanation. There wasn't enough space for all these newcomers, so instead of cutting them, Sakurai merged them all together into this beautiful work of art.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Made a simplified graphic of Proteus Ridley.

upload_2018-4-3_21-26-52.png

Quick favor, anyone have a Ridley moveset with Tilts and Smash Attacks? I don't need Specials.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I like it, but is there a way to make it so Ridley's eye level is at least equal to Samus's when he's crouching?
I'm planning on tweaking it later (raised head, shortened tail, smaller wings) but for now its just a lazy trace.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Welp I just wasted 20 bucks in the metroid prime trilogy because i don't have a wii controller and the thingy to detect the controller.
So I can't play it and kill Ridley.
Rip me.
Edit: wait nevermind I found everything except the nunchuk, weee!! only one thing left to play the prime collection!

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Made a simplified graphic of Proteus Ridley.

View attachment 140480

Quick favor, anyone have a Ridley moveset with Tilts and Smash Attacks? I don't need Specials.
In my opinion it should be closer to this:

If you resize the platform heights and tailor every character's jumps accordingly, we could easily get something bigger.

I don't think the tail/wing sizes matter all that much. The wings would not be part of his hitbox, and they could have some kind of "Can be damaged but no knock-back" mechanic for the tail.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I made an aerial tilt set.
upload_2018-4-4_1-27-19.png

Ridley has poor range when attacking anything above him.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The height is fine in that, but now he's too long. But that could be fixed by scrunching his limbs and head closer to each other. Also make his wings and tail smaller too. Essentially you want something as compact as Donkey Kong with wings and a tail.

Anyway, I think we all agree here that Ridley is not impossible (even Sakurai said he could do it) it's just a matter of if he will do it and what changes will be appropriate.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
The height is fine in that, but now he's too long. But that could be fixed by scrunching his limbs and head closer to each other. Also make his wings and tail smaller too. Essentially you want something as compact as Donkey Kong with wings and a tail.

Anyway, I think we all agree here that Ridley is not impossible (even Sakurai said he could do it) it's just a matter of if he will do it and what changes will be appropriate.
Why would length be an issue? Sure, he'd have a large hit-box that would eat a lot of projectiles, but that's something that can easily be balanced around.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why would length be an issue? Sure, he'd have a large hit-box that would eat a lot of projectiles, but that's something that can easily be balanced around.
It honestly would be pretty weird, trying to grab him from behind when there is nothing visible to grab. It would just look jank and feel rushed. The definitely have to condense him if they want it to work.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
It honestly would be pretty weird, trying to grab him from behind when there is nothing visible to grab. It would just look jank and feel rushed. The definitely have to condense him if they want it to work.
Just make it so his tail isn't grabbable. You have to hit his body for the grab to work.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just make it so his tail isn't grabbable. You have to hit his body for the grab to work.
Right, that is the problem, if you could not grab his wings/tail which are half the length of the hit-box, it would definitely be weird in the middle of the match because the hit-box would not match the visual representation.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Right, that is the problem, if you could not grab his wings/tail which are half the length of the hit-box, it would definitely be weird in the middle of the match because the hit-box would not match the visual representation.
His tail is half the length of his hitbox, yes, but it's much, much narrower. I can see where you're coming from, but seeing Ridley's body teleport into my character's hands when grabbing his tail would honestly look weirder than a grab whiffing.

Alternatively, give Ridley two different "Struggle" animations, one for if somebody grabs his tail, and one for when they grab his body. The body one would function like a standard grab, but you wouldn't be able to throw Ridley if you've grabbed his tail, just pummel it until he yanks it out of your grasp.

If it sounds I'm grasping at straws to make a larger Ridley work, it's because I absolutely am. I don't think condensing Ridley into a manageable size is the answer to getting him into Smash, Sakurai has straight up said that he is not willing to resize individual portions of Ridley's body, and I don't think that view is going to change. While Ridley's size definitely isn't important to his character, his wings and tail are, particularly his tail. If Ridley gets in, it'll be because Sakurai came up with some strange gimmicks to allow his tail and wings to function in-game.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What about putting the tail back on the Z-axis? That way it’s there, but isn’t a viable hitbox and then other characters can even walk in front of it.

Both wings would probably end up extruded along the Z anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Can't believe I'm taking a page from Other M again, but for animations of grabbing Ridley, maybe just grab him by the beak/mouth like Samus does here, and shoot/punch/slash his face in depending on the character whose grabbing him?

Otherm_0813.jpg

* Couldn't relocate the gif of her doing the lethal strike on him unfortunately

Grabbing him by the wings or tail would be far less practical, which is why it's never really been considered, but guess it could work to a point maybe with the tail (no pun intended)...

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Too lazy to fix it properly, but would this solve the grappling issues?
Or you could do what they do with Charizard and curl the tail around his body until he needs to use it. Also just make the wings smaller. Why not?

Honestly his Zero Mission proportions and posture are perfect.

Look at how compact that body is. A nice solid hurtbox. Small wings that don't get in the way. Small tail that doesn't get in the way. But still looks like Ridley. Perfect.
Just make that sucker the height of Bowser and your golden.

Of course he wouldn't look like his Zero Mission self. This is just to give you an idea of what his stance and proportions should be.

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Or you could do what they do with Charizard and curl the tail around his body until he needs to use it. Also just make the wings smaller. Why not?

Look at how compact that body is. A nice solid hurtbox. Small wings that don't get in the way. Small tail that doesn't get in the way. But still looks like Ridley. Perfect.

Of course he wouldn't look like his Zero Mission self. This is just to give you an idea of what his stance and proportions should be.
I have always really liked these proportions for Ridley. I completely agree on this point. I am curious what Proteus Ridley or even Super Metroid Ridley would look like in these proportions.

StormC

Smash Hero
Small wings would look weird on a 3D model. He could fold them when he isn't flying, though.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Yeah, I was planning on shrinking the wings. I'm planning on him not using his wings to attack at all, so his wingspan doesn't matter until it begins straining physics.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Agreed. Quite honestly, is not rocket science adapting Ridley to Smash. The issue so far has been lack of interest by the director rather than Ridley being too big or whatever. Gotta put all that effort into new Fire Emblem lords instead.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Agreed. Quite honestly, is not rocket science adapting Ridley to Smash. The issue so far has been lack of interest by the director rather than Ridley being too big or whatever. Gotta put all that effort into new Fire Emblem lords instead.
Even though Sakurai likes FE, I don't think he's the main reason why the the roster is absolutely bloated with anime sword fighters. Robin and Lucina was all Sakurai, but Roy was definitely our fault, since we were the ones who wanted him. Corrin was moreso Nintendo and the development team nudging Sakurai to add him for promotional reasons. Since Sakurai acknowledged the abundance of characters before Roy was even added, he's more than likely aware that the series admittingly got too much attention at once.

Similarly, I don't think Sakurai is necessarily uninterested in Ridley. If he were, Ridley wouldn't have gotten such a big role in Brawl and Smash 4, despite being a non-playable character. The interest is definitely there. The motivation to try harder to specifically make Ridley a playable character is what Sakurai lacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom