• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing jumps with Falcon?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
So this happens sometimes with other characters, too, but especially with Falcon. I lose a jump. And I know that it's not because I've used both jumps. Sometimes I lose the jump when I use 1 jump, then being knocked, and I cannot jump anymore. I know it's not the hitstun, because I've kept falling until I've died without being able to use my second jump. Other times, I can run, jump, do an arial attack trying to hit an opponent off-stage, and lose my second jump. So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a glitch? Is anybody else experiencing this?

GeZ

Smash Lord
I can almost guarantee it's just because you have tap to jump on and accidentally double jump. It's what all newer players do.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Either this, or you don't realize that you're using a recovery move, as I am pretty sure this will use up your second jump on CF

WarpStatus

Smash Apprentice
Um, sorry for sounding like a noob now, but what is Tap Jump? xD And can I turn it off?
No problem man. Tap jump means that when you flick the control stick upward you will jump. This can cause situations where you want to do just an up air, but you jump straight into an up air. If you get hit out of it at the same time it will feel like you lost your jump.

If you go into control options to change what each button does there is an option to turn tap jump off.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
No problem man. Tap jump means that when you flick the control stick upward you will jump. This can cause situations where you want to do just an up air, but you jump straight into an up air. If you get hit out of it at the same time it will feel like you lost your jump.

If you go into control options to change what each button does there is an option to turn tap jump off.
Ah, so THAT'S tap jump, eh? Thanks! I will turn it off and see if it helps! ^^

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
bumbing here but turning off tap jump doesnt seem to work
try it
when I turn off tap jump and try to do my rising uairs with X+up+A he'll double jump!

this is one of the major reasons that I hate PM

In Melee, where tap jump is ALWAYS on, I have no problem shffling rising uairs with Fox on lightning mode using the same method, so it's definitely a bug in PM

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
try it
when I turn off tap jump and try to do my rising uairs with X+up+A he'll double jump!

In Melee, where tap jump is ALWAYS on, I have no problem shffling rising uairs with Fox on lightning mode using the same method, so it's definitely a bug in PM
It's either a problem with your controller or your pressing something you're not realizing. Or maybe it's some other factor like you not being used to the game. I've not heard of many people in this community complain about what you just described.

Last edited:

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
just try turning off tap jump, shffl uairs with A and you'll see what I mean

TheLastOneAlive

Smash Cadet
try it

Are you maybe forgetting to pick the name tag you turned off tap jump with? Turning it off most definitely works for me.

furinto92

Smash Rookie
just try turning off tap jump, shffl uairs with A and you'll see what I mean
I do the exact same thing with my two current mains, Falcon and ZSS (very similar uairs incidentally), and I never have that problem with tap jump off. There must be some issue with your version of PM, or your controller.

If you're fine with tap jump on in Melee, why bother with it in PM?

As far as OP's issue: I've experienced something similar with Marth's dair. It was explained to me a while ago and I still don't fully understand the cause, but when inputing jump->aerial->double jump it's possible to lose the double jump by hitting X/Y too soon or during the end of the aerial's animation. If I wait just a bit longer after the dair, I would be able to jump->up b to stage safely, whereas if I mashed X immediately after the dair's active frames, I lost the double jump. OP's problem may be related or completely different.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I think I figured out the issue. None of this is tested with TAS, but I am pretty confident in my frame data knowledge.
If I wanna do an early uair with Falcon, I press X and up+A. Notice that my uair comes out as soon as possible, meaning I press A on the 5th frame after I pressed X, since this is the first frame that Falcon is airborne. Somehow - even with tap jump turned off - the up input on the control stick sometimes gets mixed with the X input, making the game think that I held jump for more than 5 frames resulting in a full hop. If tap jump would have been on, the result would have been a double hop.

Now I use the same method in Melee, and I almost never screw it up. I uair this method out of shield, during combos, after pivots etc.
Also keep in mind that in Melee, you cannot hold X for more than 4 frames for a succesful double hop with Falcon, where PM gives you 5 frames to work with. (He is still airborne on the 5th frame in both games.)

I shouldn't even have to turn off tap jump, but for some reason X/Y+control stick up gives weird results in PM...

Also, this was all tested in 3.0, it might not be an issue in later versions, but I will test it when I get my hands on it.

Top Bottom