• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to start playing brawl

TKSwiz

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm a relatively new smash player (started playing melee competitively around October 2013) and I play melee and project m. I have only been to one tournament and that was, funnily enough, Evo 2014. I'm looking to improve in melee and smash in general, and obviously going to more tournaments and practicing tech skill is important, but I've been thinking of my real issues as a player, and DI, spacing, and overall mind games and thinking are all areas I struggle in. I tend to not really think in matches and just sort of do marth stuff or do Falco stuff, and I know I should be thinking more of the range of my move and how to stay away from the range of opponents moves, but most of the time I'm too worried about missing an L cancel or doing a shine grab to do much. One solution to this that I think is interesting is to pick up brawl, and focus more on the fundamentals. I kind of have an idea of where to start, I just need some help. What kind of characters do you think would help my improve my spacing in brawl? Marth seems like a good pick, but I'm open to really any character. Also, just because I might not focus on brawl as much, I still would like to become a good player, as I do somewhat enjoy the slower more strategical style (except the tripping.) but brawl seems to be dying. I live in California which I know has a very large melee scene, but I'm not too sure about brawl. Would playing online via net play or through the hacked servers or whatever be a good option to play and improve?

TL, DR: I'm a relatively new melee and project m player that struggles with mind games an spacing, and I want to pick up brawl to help improve the more basic aspects of my game. Any tips on what characters to use or how to start playing brawl are appreciated.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Marth is a good pick because IMO he's the easiest character to transfer over between games. Netplay and Wifi are both good options, however be sure to check out www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/facebook to see if you can find a Brawl group in your local area, you never know who's itching to play.

Personally I got better at spacing by maining Jigglypuff in Brawl for a while, but I don't recommend this to anyone else as it was a giant handicap that FORCED my spacing to get better.

D

Deleted member

Hey man! I'm the Tournament Host for SoCal! We usually host tournaments at the Ultimate Gaming Center in Los Angeles. I highly suggest joining the SoCal Brawl group on facebook as we usually post whats going on with tournaments/smashfests there! The next tournament is Shadow Temple, which also features PM if you're interested. We'd love to have you and show ya around :D

Top Bottom