• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to get into competitve Brawl

Zueros

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zueros
Recently I've become inspired to get better at Smash and start getting into the competitive side of things. I really enjoy Brawl and so I was wondering where I could find any resources about the basic techniques in Brawl that I should start working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :bee:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
First, learn your character. It looks like you main Marth, so learn Marth's ATs, when to Up-B OoS, how to stall with dancing blade while recovering etc. etc.

Learn to make reads - second guess what your opponent will do and punish them for it. Doesn't have to be a hard read like a charged Fsmash behind you, you can Fair or Jab or something.

And don't roll too much. :p

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
if you can learn to ken combo ( f-air+d-air) thats awesome. spot dodging is your friend. play aggressively when you can and defensively when you need to. and swords dance is amazing :)

Thor

Smash Champion
If you want to see some of the flashiest Marth play (or at least, really flashy), look up "Messiah - a Marth combo video" [by Mr. R if I'm not mistaken]. Since that stuff is done on actual opponents, it would mean that you could theoretically use it on others (DI-dependent and stuff).

If you don't know it, make sure you learn basics, like DI, airdodge lengths and how Marth should punish them, SDI, momentum cancelling and Marth's most efficient way to do so (And make sure you have a feel for when you actually need to use your jump to momentum cancel), KO percents for Marth's KO moves on various characters and not staling those moves early (MK, Diddy Kong, and Snake are three good characters to know rough numbers for - lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight) and more (I don't know what you already know and don't know, so I'll just stop listing things - if you don't any of these things they are good things to learn about for starters).

Also, learn to fight MK. He's Marth's hardest MU, or at least the hard MU you'll likely fight most frequently (Dedede is also not easy to deal with, since he has a chaingrab on Marth, among other reasons).

For reading on basic things, this is a good place to start (the Marth boards - has MU discussions and a Q&A forum, and I believe a thread that links to various Marth guides): http://smashboards.com/forums/marth.168/

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Watch videos of Mr.R, Mikeneko and Leon (EMG Leon). Just look them up on youtube and you should find videos pretty easily.

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
Since no one's mentioned it, the best way to really improve is to go out and play others!

Playing against CPUs doesn't even scratch the surface in terms of the depth of competitive play, and can even be harmful for your play! A CPU follows a set pattern, so once you figure out that pattern, you can use a set strategy to beat that pattern every time. But humans are different. They may not all have super fast reflexes but they can adapt to your playstyle. Even if your strategy is inherently 'good' if you use it over and over again people will catch on and develop a counter strategy (I know this from personal experience and have strayed away from practicing against CPUs).

'But wherever shall I find people to play with?' usually there will be a facebook group for your region, so join that and ask around if there are any smashfests going on. Also check your regional page on Smashboards (Midwest? Someone correct me on that.) for tournaments to attend! Unfortunately Brawl is the second least played of the smash games (the least being 64) so it may be hard to find people to play with but you should still be able to find a few people to play with you.

Zueros

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zueros
Unfortunately Brawl is the second least played of the smash games (the least being 64) so it may be hard to find people to play with but you should still be able to find a few people to play with you.
This is why I've been looking into PM latetly. It has the speed I like from melee and the combos, but with the controls of Brawl. I personally liked Brawl because the controls seemed smoother to me, but maybe that's just me.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You live in PA. CT Vex is from your region and he's really good. CT Chibo is from your region and he's a major streamer/general community leader, and he's pretty good too.

Top Bottom