• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some tips with BAir

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
After maining Falco for some time my game has become quite destructive with him and for the most part I've got a feel for the general use and execution of all of his moves except for one of his more deadly.. the BAir. I see great combos making use of BAir as well as ledge guarding tactics. Are there any guides or could someone give an explanation of how to effectively use BAir? Thanks.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
Well, to be honest, i don't think i take full advantage of his bair either. But i do know this. It's one of his best if not best edgeguard. RAR bairs are good for approaching. It has great priority, from what I've seen, so thats another plus. Thats just a few of the many uses of it, i'm sure others will add on.

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think thats what i need to focus on is the ledge guarding capabilities and approaching. I just have trouble getting my character to stay faced away from the enemy, especially for ledgeguarding tactics. I could probably just use some practice.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
A trick I use is to hold the ledge while they're returning. When they're about to fall on the stage I jump and immediately do Bair. Then jump after them and hit them again.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
RAR bairs are great for approaching like stated above. Its a great finish to a combo if theyre ever behind you. In fact its a great finisher althogether. I don't even utilize the bair as much as I should. Just use it whenever you can, its an awsome move.

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
I like the phantasm -> BAir, Im sure Ive done it multiple times without thinking but it does align nicely at most percents. I need to learn this ledge hanging -> BAir, though my Falco gimp game is very poor atm as if its not a phantasm recovery Im poor at aiming horizontal recoveries and am very easily ledge guarded. Thanks for the advice =D

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
bair is amazing, seriously

it'sprobably one of my most used moves (next to like the laser or something), it has really huge priority, a long lasting hitbox, and not much lag

You can throw these out all over the place. approach with them, edgeguard (a good method is to hang on the edge as someone is recovering, this way you have a lot of ways to punish them with the bair. you can ledgejump if they recover high, drop off and bair if they recover low...), and combo with them. It's so awesome it's ridiculous.

Seriously, I have a friend who plays Captain Falcon and he can't do anything against the bair. It has boatloads of priority. It literally beat every move he had, except maybe Falcon Punch or something

The Idealist

Smash Cadet
i'm really not one to be giving advice, but the only time i use Bair is when my opponent is screwing around in the air, or im trying to follow them off the stage ledge guarding them. Actually i use it when they have high damage and i repeatedly try to short hop to them backwards to hit them with it, but that's predictable and i do it all the time...

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
Im really starting to get considerably better with it after some practice. I was abusing its hitbox endlessly against some friends in a tourney this weekend on battlefield. The use of it and platforms is phenomenal. And Tommy, thats a nice combo Im gonna work on that.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Im really starting to get considerably better with it after some practice. I was abusing its hitbox endlessly against some friends in a tourney this weekend on battlefield. The use of it and platforms is phenomenal. And Tommy, thats a nice combo Im gonna work on that.
Thanks dude. I believe the best teachers teach without directly teaching, but making the others practice. That's all you need with it is situational practice. That combo was a motivational tool. Good luck.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I use Bair usually in theses cases :

1. Dash RAR Bair

2. After a UTilt / DTilt / USmash (useful if the opponent does a Dair to counter you)

3. After a IAP.

3. As an edguarding move. Jump > Bair > Second Jump > Bair > Phantasm to grab the Ledge.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Weak Bair is good for leading into other moves, like strong Bair. Bair is a really good move, and because Falco has to worry about move decay less than other characters, you can get away with using it often to abuse its priority and knock back fairly often.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
oh like someone said, bair out of utilt is really cool

you can string a few of them together at low percents

against some characters you can even do things like utilt -> jump and bair -> dair, obviously it isn't a "true combo" but it works a lot if you can predict their DI and when they airdodge

if they don't tech, you can utilt them again assuming you fastfall quick enough and get in another bair or two

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
After discovering how to turn off tap jump, which makes me feel like Ive been playing with a gimp for some time now , Utilt -> Bair is now worlds easier, as well as jump -> Bair 2nd jump ->Bair. Also, I made L an attack button seeing as I use X to jump and its just more comfortable that way and easier to go into and SH with Bair. After putting some thought into single moves it makes learning a character tons easier. Thanks for the input so far. If anyone has any other uses for it in combos, keep them coming.

BEES

Smash Lord
Too often I see videos with Falco players getting shieldgrabbed, or perfect shielded out of attempted Bair approaches. There seems to be a very subtle landing animation that can lead to punishment if you attempt Bair too close to the ground, which is often where you need to be to hit standing opponents.

The lesson I'm getting is to mostly use Bair when your opponent is also in the air. Especially off the edge.

Or use it when they're in hitstun, and maybe occasionally to mindgame.

Top Bottom