• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some critique

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Greetings fellow Kirby folk. I have recently been able to upload my smash games to my computer, unfortunately my Wii is never used and I only was able to get replay data from one friend.
Anyway, looking to get some critique on my Kirby, who I feel can use some real work, especially from the videos I am providing.
All 3 videos are me vs my friend BossOfTheGame, Kirby vs Toon Link. Quality isnt best, watch in High if you can... Enjoy
Vulc(Kirby) vs Boss(TLink) 1
Vulc(Kirby) vs Boss(TLink) 2
Vulc(Kirby) vs Boss(TLink) 3

I know I need to improve on my approaching, rather badly. I have a bad habit of always going from the air with Drill kick, which gets me punished most of the time, yet I continue to do it.

Thanks in advance for any critique.

Oh, and I will probably update this thread with newer stuff once I get it/play them. Most will be Kirby, but like now I will also upload D3, MK, Shiek and my other chars if people feel like watching.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You play exactly like me but with more FAir. xD

I don't really know how to critique, I leave that to the other Kirbys, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I want to give that TL more critique than you >_>

were these offline?

So far I don't have any inspirational, miracle advice. You're good. As of halfway through game 2, the only thing I can think of is: try using Stone as an edgeguard/offstage attack. Around 1:18 in game 2 was the perfect time to use it.

Could've used Stone at 1:52 when he was charging his upsmash, but you'd have to predict it in order to use it.

I'm done for now, good job. That TL needs more work than you though >_> it's a pretty even matchup, and imo it's in TL's favor by a small amount.

Also, use this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205797 if you can. I know it hasn't been posted in for a few days, that's why I'm uploading videos right now and am going to ask for critique ^___^

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
They are offline. Watching them myself I did notice mine and his timing were off a few times or slow, though. Most of the time, we are talking during the play, or he is yelling at me (lol).

My initial game play had a lot more stone then displayed here, but a lot of the time, vs him anyway, he would punish me after it because I wasnt the best at it, but I am trying to get better, mostly by limiting my use.

I will use that thread, I saw it about a week ago but it looked pretty heavily trolled and off topic, I figured it had died and didnt go fishing for it. I suppose I can copy/paste my thread into there and divert traffic onto it.

Thanks again.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
You used basically no throws until the last one, and you didn't have much of those even then. There were multiple times you did a bad edguarding tech (or just didn't at all), like you used bair instead of dair or dair instead of edgehog or edgehog instead of dair, though, if you had, that TL probably would've comitted suicide (or has he already)? Seriously, my TL (which I haven't used in over a month) could wipe the floor with that guy...

Dair seems to be your go-to option while in the air, while fc seems to be your ground counterpart (at least in the first match for the fc part). Bair should be go-to in the air, and tilts on the ground.

That's all for now; fromundaman will soon find this thread and give you all the advice you need.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
These are semi old videos, I tend to grab a lot more now a days, but I will look out for times when I dont in future play.
My edge guarding does need major improvement, as you said, I tend to just dair towards them and miss or just keep them away with bair, I will try to work on that as well, seems like it would be very beneficial.
I definitely have a dair spamming problem when in the air, in some games I try to spam bair, but that isnt one I showed, but I dont do it often unless playing very defensively, I will include it in all gameplay. Ive been trying to incorporate dtilt into my play more, usually forget, or I will just ftilt, which I should be using for spacing. As always, utilt is amazing and I will try to use it more.

Looking forward to more critique, thank you for helping my gameplay ;P.

Mr_Orion

Smash Apprentice
Approach a good Toon Link by running towards him, jump in the air, air dodge the boomerang (he will throw it, trust me) after the air dodge, swing hammer down at him. If he shields then land next to him and spot dodge> shield grab> do what you will then.

If he does not shield, duck and then spot dodge and shield grab.
This won't always work, but running at him and then psyching him with the hammer may allow you a small window of opportunity to do a multitude of attacks.

I am not sure if you can duck to avoid the average TL attack, so try it out.

Good luck!

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's no news that the TL wasn't very good. It's important to know how you fare against good players too. Win or loose, thats were the money is.

I only found a things that you really should improve. Every thing else you can learn through experience.

1. You where winning, and you approached TL. When your winning, you want TL to approach you. Especially if you have a 1 stock lead. TL gets his strengths when he's camping. If you would have stayed a bit more time making him approach you, he would have probably not camped you in any of the next matches either because you would make it perfectly clear that Camping doesn't work on you.

2. You use FSmash WAY to much. Thats option A) Killing move. You don't want to be using it all willy-nilly. You use it whenever he gets close to you and in Melee range. That is a bad thing to do. Y could figure out a pattern just watching one of the videos and established it watching the other two.

"Whenever TL does 'X' Thing he reacts 'Y' way."

Thats bad because you become predictable, and predictability is easy to punish.

wasalater

Smash Rookie
you play prity simalrly to me i use utilt more than you. i use it as my main on ground attack, but vthat is just my play style.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Yeah, FSmash is kind of my go-to move, it shouldnt be, but it is. I will definitely work to break that habit of mine.
Also, unfortunately I do not have videos at the moment of me playing anyone else, there are multiple other people I play regularly who are better (Marth, Ike and Ness players) but I have no replays of me playing them atm, so this has to do.
I know that I have a pattern of that 'Whenever a player does X, I react with Y', seems like I have another bad habit to break.

Well thank you again, looks like I am getting quite a list of things on how to improve my gameplay.
-Work on Edgeguarding
-More Tilts/Throws
-Less FSmash/Dair(I knew I had this problem)
-Be defensive
-Less predictable
I think that's it so far...

Gnes

Smash Master
Honestly...that tink sucked...

But u seem like a pretty decent player...u shouldnt concentrate on gettin grabs so much in the begginning...but dont worry i know thats a big problem for kirby players in general...

U should use stone sparingly when recovering in the air...

I saw other stuff but cant remember since that toon link was so horrible

:3

Top Bottom