• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking back at music updates: Do they sound better as time goes on?

Rash

Smash Ace
With updates to the Dojo, there always seemed to be an expectation for something big and/or interesting. When certain people found music updates, they may have been excited, indifferent, or highly dissapointed, both in how the music sounded and in just the fact they were getting a music update when they could've gotten some really juicy piece of Brawl news.

I can admit, even I was disappointed in some of the music when I first listened to it. Or, if not disappointed, then a little underwhelmed.

However, lately I've been taking a little retrospective with the music updates, and I think I've become more pleased with the currently-revealed soundtrack. After going back and listening to all of the music updated on the Dojo, I can't really find much fault with any of it at all. In fact, certain themes which I didn't like much at first (Ridley, Ashley, Underworld) seem much better now, as if I've become accustomed to them.

I think once people get past the fact that they're getting a music update and get past the fact that it's the early morning hours, Brawl's music starts to come together quite nicely. Of course, this could be just me.

What do any of you think? Does Brawl's soundtrack have the capability to easily grow on you over time? Are some previous disappointments and indifferences disappearing?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No no, it's not just you. After (new) character updates, music updates are definitely my favorite (and I love how we're getting them more frequently lately). Some didn't impress me as much at first listen, but I recently went back and listened to them all too, and they all sound wonderful to me. Each is a meticulously crafted work of art and you can definitely feel that the composers wanted to capture the essence of the each of the games they represent in every song.

Ahhh, I'm just a big fan of video game music in general. But I definitely agree, the soundtrack for this game is going to be very pleasing to the ears!

upex

Smash Cadet
At first the X Tunnel Scene Song was pretty lame but now that I have listened to it again and again I think it is one of the better tunes on the dojo. That is why I believe that video game soundtracks can grow on you if you dont originally enjoy it.

Sola

Smash Rookie
I noticed this a while ago with one song. I usually look forward to music updates, but the Kid Icarus - Underworld update was the first one that went against that. I couldn't really find any redeeming value in it.

Now I don't really mind it when I go back and listen again, but I still can't see myself giving it much of a chance to appear. It just seems like it's not fitting, but I can't predict how I'll feel in the future.

The Porky theme still sounds like a strange choice for Smash to me, though, and I continue to dislike the singer in the Ashley song. Everything else was more or less fine with me on the day it was updated.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
At first I didn't like the Underworld theme, now it's one of my favorites.

Though Metaknight's Revenge, Underworld theme, Great Temple Theme, and the Metal Gear Solid one are going to be stuck in my head forever.

master_link12

Smash Cadet
ehh I have mixed feelings, at first when I heard the halberds theme I was really disapointed since it didnt capture the motif of the stage but now I can bear it. There are others like ashleys theme that I still dislike. Nevertheless the ocarina medley rocks.!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The MGS4 song was one of my faves from the start, as were the zelda song, the AC song, and the Metaknight song.

the Dk song grew on me, like the IC song did, and the Porky theme did.

The song I hate, and will NEVER enjoy is the ashley song. I have no idea why some people enjoy it. her voice, is just, the most, irritating and tone-deaf thing Ive ever heard..gasp...

Edit: The undrworld theme is awesome too.

D

Deleted member

People used to think that certain themes wouldn't fit in stages. But the Fire Emblem theme in Castle Siege proved them wrong.

Music can only improve in my opinion!

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I actually look forward to the music updates. It gives me something pleasant and catchy to listen to. My favorite songs are Meta Knight's Revenge (jazzy and cathchy), Fire Emblem (I like different languages), the various languages for the Warioware Ashley theme song. I actually played the English and Japanese songs together. The Japanese version fits the description of Ashley: creepy. Her pitch is so high.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah, some of the songs have grown on me. I still don't feel that it's met up with anywhere near the quality of Melee's soundtrack, though.

X-DS

Smash Cadet
It's a little different than what you're talking about, but I disliked the Ridley theme in SSBB until after I went back and played Super Metroid again. But as for songs that just grow on you, it would definitely be the DK theme for me. I really didn't like it at all at first, but after awhile I really dug it.

However, no length of time will ever make me like the English Ashley's Theme.

StarkMaximum

Smash Rookie
Man, I feel kinda bad that I really, really like Ashley's theme. Are you all gonna hit me? (cowers)

StarkMaximum

Smash Rookie
I DON'T KNOW!! I just...DO!

Maybe it's just because I actually really like the character? Maybe I just find it catchy? I honestly don't know! I was surprised when I realized others didn't like it! I don't know why I like it so much, I just do...

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
I hated some of the music when I first started to play Melee, and now I luuve it (DK's rap lol). The same applys here. I thought some were lame and all, and then I listened to them. Now... I really like it (Angel Island, MGS4 theme and Ice Climber are the best).

With Ashley's Theme, I thought it was catchy and all on Warioware Touched! I'm hoping for Mona's rock theme too, because that was awesome IMO.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
I DON'T KNOW!! I just...DO!

Maybe it's just because I actually really like the character? Maybe I just find it catchy? I honestly don't know! I was surprised when I realized others didn't like it! I don't know why I like it so much, I just do...
Garuu~ I dislike the US one...but the Japanese one I find kinda catchy...Tell the truth I predect I'll be playing this on japanese for QUITE some time! ( especaly if the US/JP switch works just like it did in Melee ) ^_^;;

That and I know they are going to kill PT's Voice with a US dub...>_>;;

Because right now he sounds quite decent in Japanese...

Also fav music:
MetaKnight's theme Because I grew up with Kirby as much as Sonic and Mario.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I didn't like the yoshi one at first.

But now I really do.

Still don't like ashley theme though.

MGS is still my favorite.

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
What's wrong with the underworld theme? I thought it was awesome at first, and I think it's awesome now. Maybe I just really liked it because I played Kid Icarus first...

Ashley's theme... At first I hated it, but now I think it's okay. My favorite is definitely Angel Island Zone. Jun Senoue rocks!

I'm also surprised that no one has talked about the main theme. Have you pictured a match on the battlefield with that music playing? Do it, it's awesome.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with the underworld theme? I thought it was awesome at first, and I think it's awesome now. Maybe I just really liked it because I played Kid Icarus first...

Ashley's theme... At first I hated it, but now I think it's okay. My favorite is definitely Angel Island Zone. Jun Senoue rocks!

I'm also surprised that no one has talked about the main theme. Have you pictured a match on the battlefield with that music playing? Do it, it's awesome.
Already have my friend...Its too epic for words!

But there is just SO much to love here! Yet I want the "Full" versons before I go off on each one...Some of them fade before the realy good parts start it seems. ( Like K.K. Slider's )

Boofer

Smash Ace
After looking back on the songs, I actually like MANY of them more than I did when I first heard them. See, back when I first heard them I was usually just upset that we didn't get a character-related update.

My favorites are: Yoshi's Story Ending, The Zelda Medley (these songs are probably the most nostalgic and memorable videogame themes ever imo), Metaknight's Revenge, Angel Island Zone, and maybe Tunnel Scene. My absolute fave would be the Zelda Medley.

Top Bottom