• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Long read about Mii's benefiting the Meta :)

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
How much do default Guest size(middleweight) Mii's with alternative moves F-air in the meta? I will give some insight to those who are curious about this. I have experience playing with and against all 3 Mii types. I will talk about how their playstyle is and where on the tier list they may end up. Let's get started

--Mii Brawler

You all know this guy very well. The infamous Mii with that Up-B that kills hella early. Mii Brawler is godly if he's super tiny, but as default size.... he isn't as lethal. Brawler's approach options are grab and nair. If you stay center stage most games, he can't really do much and has trouble killing. Default size Brawler is still powerful, but he loses out on speed, mobility and kill options when set to default size. If you decide to stay near the ledge alot vs Brawler... expect to get killed very early lol Brawler is still great, but he can get zoned out pretty easily and does struggle with kills and requires good reads to land that helicopter kick.

Best set for Mii Brawler
-Mega Punch(B)
-Assault(Side B)
-Helicopter Kick(Up B)
-Feint Kick(Down B)

--Mii Swordfighter

This fella actually got a buff on chakram in the latest patch. This buff alone has made Swordfighter a bigger threat. Chakram can combo them into grabs and even kill moves now. It can also be used to zone and guard the ledge. There's an Infinite with it, but it's pretty useless and extremely situational lol Swordfighter has kill power, can combo well and zone pretty well thanks to shurikan(B) and Chakram(Side B). He can also reflect projectiles and turn you around with his rainbow move(Down B). Swordfighter isn't so mobile, so rushdown does hurt him. He's also combo fodder and pretty easy to gimp if he has the Chakram side b, instead of the launch side b(almost all swords will have Chakram). Keep an eye out for chakram at all times. This move does good damage and can link into combos and kills against you. Swordfighter reminds me a bit of Mario. Both have fast reflectors, great projectiles, good kill moves and fast reflectors that turn foes around. Sword can't combo well out of grabs and isn't as mobile as Mario.

Best set for Mii Swordfighter
-Shurikan(B)
-Chakram(Side B)
-Rising slash(default Up B)
-Rainbow reflect(Down B)

--Mii Gunner

This one is my personal favorite. I main this one and love her with a passion(No Hetero). Mii Gunner with alt moves is easily the best zoner in Smash history(Smash 4 definitely LOL). Gunner has grenades(B) that combo, kills, approaches and deters approach options from the enemy. Power shielding is also useless vs this move, since it has multiple hitboxes. This move is somewhat spammable and every zoner wishes they had this move. The move can be tough to see and will catch foes off guard. The move can be reflected and disappears with no effect if it collides with another projectile. The missile move(Side B) is like Samus's missiles, but better!!! Like 100× better. Imagine Samus's missles that have better speed and chasing capabilities. That's Gunners side b lol They are quite spammy, chase opponents so far and can gimp characters with bad recoveries easily and it's very fast. They also inflict good damage. The Up B is a toss up between default up b and jet punch(Alt Up B). Default up B grants great recovery and longevity, while jet punch(Alt Up B) gives Gunner a close range kill move that kills early and can be used out of shield at the cost of having poor recovery. Gunners bomb drop(Down B) is amazing! Good damage, can b reverse well, ledge gaurd and somewhat kill. Grenade(B) is more versatile, but bomb drop(down b) has its uses and its neat to combine both. Gunners default down b is Fox's reflector, but bomb drop is overall better.
Gunner can easily fire grenades, missiles and bomb drops all at the same time lol Opponents will be frustrated with so much fast and wide projectiles being fired at them. Gunner sounds broken and untouchable(sorry boys), but she has her flaws. She gets wrecked by speedy fighters and fighters with reflectors. Falco is the bane of her existence lol She's also easy to combo, gimp and she's pretty slow. She's like a Villager with 3 great projectiles that wall people easily, but with a predictable recovery and slower in the air.

Best set for Mii Gunner
-Grenade(B)
-Missile(Side B)
-Default rocket boost(Default Up B)
-Bomb Drop(Down B)

--Meta wise/tier list placing

All 3 Mii's would make a huge impact. All 3 are very unique and have great tools to compete toe to toe with the high tiers. They would easily attract new players with their unique play styles. Neither Mii outclasses one another since their styles are very unique and do well vs certain fighters.

~~Brawler - Rushdown and in your face.
~~Swordfighter - Zoner with good close quarter moves.
~~Gunner - Zoner with a fantastic keep away and wall game.

All 3 Mii's would easily be Top 20 material. Bold claim, but they would. Neither would be top 8, but they all have the right amount of tools to be a pretty common sight in the meta. They all do have weaknesses against the top tiers, but they can still prevail.

Mii Fighters will bring more diversity and attract new players to the meta. They aren't broken at all, since they have glaring flaws. Forcing Mii's to use their 1111 set makes them very bad and unusable to an extent. Might as well ban Mii's if they will be forced to use their inferior 1111 set. They get no result\usage with 1111 set in the WC and most outside tournaments.

Hope y'all enjoyed this Mii guide. Feel free to share your opinions

Have a fabulous day!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Am I the only one who thinks that Rocket Uppercut is a the best option for the Gunner. It really makes getting kills with Gunner a lot easier and is something s/he defenetally needs. The usual counter argument to this is usually "well your sacraficing recovery for kill power and its better to go for the safer option". But if your running grenades you can work around this real easily since uncharted grenades cover your decent pretty well if you always DI kill moves upward. The move also sports a ton of priority so you can burst through a lot of gimp attempts from your opponents and punish them for it. It also gives the Gunner one of the most deadly spikes in the game sincn its super easy to edge cancel and has a large hitbox. I know its more difficult to use then the other two moves but its payoff is very high if you work with it.

Rants aside Mii's with their 1111 are not only inferior but incredavly boring and uninteresting. Like I love Gunner to death but without customs s/he becomesnone of the most boring characters to play in any Smash games. Also I feel you should mention how to solve the wieght debate. I think that them being fallowed to use customs is starting to gain traction while their weight class is left in the shadows.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Am I the only one who thinks that Rocket Uppercut is a the best option for the Gunner. It really makes getting kills with Gunner a lot easier and is something s/he defenetally needs. The usual counter argument to this is usually "well your sacraficing recovery for kill power and its better to go for the safer option". But if your running grenades you can work around this real easily since uncharted grenades cover your decent pretty well if you always DI kill moves upward. The move also sports a ton of priority so you can burst through a lot of gimp attempts from your opponents and punish them for it. It also gives the Gunner one of the most deadly spikes in the game sincn its super easy to edge cancel and has a large hitbox. I know its more difficult to use then the other two moves but its payoff is very high if you work with it.
Usually I'd agree fully with this, but the one glaring flaw is that you can't go too low, and if something manages to push you too far left or right of the stage but not upwards enough... well, yeah, you're pretty screwed.

But another positive I want to add on is that it's an excellent out-of-shield punish, given its power.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Usually I'd agree fully with this, but the one glaring flaw is that you can't go too low, and if something manages to push you too far left or right of the stage but not upwards enough... well, yeah, you're pretty screwed.

But another positive I want to add on is that it's an excellent out-of-shield punish, given its power.
Yeah I was gunna mention it not being good when knocked at semi spike angles, but I left itnout since its very match up dependant.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If the stage you're fighting on had a wall-jumpable wall, I would agree with you Ridel, but unfortunately the only stage people play on that has that is Duck Hunt and everyone picks Smashville so eh.

Lunar Launch is just better in general because of that. But I can't deny the satisfying feeling of landing kills with Cannon Uppercut gives.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
With the knock-back angle changed on Lunar Launch, it is also much easier to stage spike with.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I also guess it's a very decent, incredibly situational way to get damage from above. Lunar Launch, that is. I used to use it as a mix-up when landing back when I mained Gunner.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I wish arm rocket (up + b #3 that you can aim) was a mix of lunar launch and cannon uppercut in that it attacks above you, but has better vertical reach

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I just tried lunar launch earlier today and I love the new knockback angle. You can choose whether to send them left or right based on the direction you face when the upB begins. You can go deep, they can air dodge, and you can send a lunar launch bullet to their face that knock them back towards the side blastzone. I never used lunar launch with a tiny gunner before. I didn't like how it seemed to save the opponent before.

Default size doesn't give me the style that I prefer for the characters. I really want to be able to play a rushdown zoner that 0/0 provides, while default size plays like a wall.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I will no doubt will run Lunar Launch against Shiek, ZSS, and Brawler. They have a lot of ways to put Uppercut in bad positions especially Shiek since she is very hard to punish with the move and her F-Air's are lethal.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Default size doesn't give me the style that I prefer for the characters. I really want to be able to play a rushdown zoner that 0/0 provides, while default size plays like a wall.
The best part about 0/0 Gunner is that you can play both rushdown and wall while with 50/50 you're stuck with just wall. Unlike Brawler and Swordfighter where you can get away with making your Mii's larger since they get range increases, the Gunner doesn't get this pleasure and you are honestly just hindering yourself by making them that large.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
We really should start up something -similar- to the Custom Moveset Project and start voting on one set for the Miis in the case that customs are off.
As of right now, apparently the general conscious on Miis are "allow default size but with any move". Personally I don't like that since some Miis are hindered by the default size, like Gunner.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
We really should start up something -similar- to the Custom Moveset Project and start voting on one set for the Miis in the case that customs are off.
As of right now, apparently the general conscious on Miis are "allow default size but with any move". Personally I don't like that since some Miis are hindered by the default size, like Gunner.
Default size doesn't hinder any miis. They lose rush down options, but are still very viable and place well vs the top tiers. I know most prefer smaller miis, but dafult size doesn't make them useless at all.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's up to your preference :) Slightly taller Miis have utilts that can't be challenged for instance, while it's a bit tougher with 0/0 (though less ending lag is welcome).

That's why I don't want to force my own preferences on others nor be forced upon. Guest Miis may not even be 50/50 or the same for each letter, which may mess people up.

I'd love to develop some strategies with other competitive Gunners but none of you guys are in the Mii Skype group lol.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
It's up to your preference :) Slightly taller Miis have utilts that can't be challenged for instance, while it's a bit tougher with 0/0 (though less ending lag is welcome).

That's why I don't want to force my own preferences on others nor be forced upon. Guest Miis may not even be 50/50 or the same for each letter, which may mess people up.

I'd love to develop some strategies with other competitive Gunners but none of you guys are in the Mii Skype group lol.
What's your Skype name San? I'd love to have a Skype chat with ya and discuss Gunner and other mini related stuff. :)

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Where is this Skype group and how do I join it? RiDEL_Puff is my Skype.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Default size doesn't hinder any miis. They lose rush down options, but are still very viable and place well vs the top tiers. I know most prefer smaller miis, but dafult size doesn't make them useless at all.
I don't think that default is useless but just not that good in comparison to a smaller set. Having two ways of playing is better then one.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll add the ones above. Anyone else can just add me at san3711 and request to be added to the Mii Fighter Skype Group. It's for all 3 classes of Miis, and players like DaPuffster post there.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I'll add the ones above. Anyone else can just add me at san3711 and request to be added to the Mii Fighter Skype Group. It's for all 3 classes of Miis, and players like DaPuffster post there.
Skype: NinjaGrandmasterStorm (old skype name lol). I would like in on this.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I think I'm already in the group, but I'm hardly ever on Skype anyway lol

It's Shad.Woodland, just in case I ain't in it.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
In addition to the skype, there's also http://readytofight.me that has character-specific chats and stuff. I think San is part of the gunner one, and I joined hours ago.

My skype is owls.gs3k

I love owls.

Top Bottom