• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lol at Snake's Mortar slide

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm sure this was posted somewhere, but the Sheik boards move fast these days, so I can't remember if this was a specific point made or not yet...

...hate that Mortar Slide? Lol, learn to love it people. Just shield grab him out of it, it's hilarious. The mortar itself doesn't do any damage when released, since I guess your shield is still up RIGHT before the animation of you grabbing him. So if you've got a mortar slide happy Snake moving around the stage,...stare him down and grab him as he glides confidently towards you. Use whatever throw you like as a follow-up (see other discussion threads on throw tactics)

Just thought I'd share. Worst that could happen --> its deemed known and the thread disappears. Not a big deal.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
or you can needle or you can upB.
...some would say the grab is better for the games you can play with it afterwards. Fully charged needles are always fun if you have em though, but just one is a waste when you could get so much more damage out of it.

Also, why bother with the vanish timing, when A) You want to keep vanish fresh for a possible kill , and B) it's harder to time.

Most Snakes when at a percentage that's high enough for you to kill with Vanish, will probably have stopped Mortar sliding by now anyways, and will be either grenade camping, or looking for a few slow-approached Ftilts or Utilts.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
chain should work as well.

or are we not talking about generic options here and just the one you mentioned?

Damage wise you get much more out of needles and vanish chain is a little situation. grabs are great but in shiek I'm always looking for damage.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I wish I knew a good Snake player to do this to.

You can do this to any DACUS attacks, right?
Some DACUS attacks will push you back too far to effectively Shield grab them. Snake's is special in that when shielding-grabbing the mortar slide, the shield is up jsut long enough to block the attack RIGHT before you grab him, so he doesn't get pushed back away from you.

With another character like say, Wario, Wolf, or Link ...after shielding the attack, you're probably going to be out of range for a grab.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
...or are we not talking about generic options here and just the one you mentioned?
...sure we can talk about other options. No problem

Damage wise you get much more out of needles
Again, with needles, I've already said, if you have them fully charged, or even just 4-5 charged, yeah it's worth it, but you may not always have that. You do however, always have the opportunity to Shield-Grab. It's a question of POSSIBLE overall damage in that situation. A needle is 3% , a BThrow to Bair , or FThrow to FAir, is about 20%. which would you rather?

chain should work as well.
Hadn't thought of this, but I agree. if you can get the chain out and use some of Ryoko's tricks, that would be sweet. (I'm not good with the chain though, so I haven't tried this)

...also, as cool as it may look, I still say that Vanish is the WORST of all of your options in this situation. It's harder to time, and really, not as useful then any of the other options.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
(...it double posted for some reason...)

Today, I will blame...hmmmm...*strokes beard in contemplation*

...Tristan. C'mon Tristan...Wtf?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you aren't going to get a throw to bair or fair on anyone who can DI and/or read you correctly maybe you can get a uair at lower percents. I never get throw to aerial off on the people I play and it's rare that they connect it on me, spare shifty mind games, but that isn't my point.

Having snake above you isn't horrible, don't get me wrong and I'm not saying shield grabbing isn't an option often times it is the better one, but needles are amazing even if it's 3 damage it is three damage that keeps your space safe and controlled, gives you an oppertunity to approach on your own terms, or that can that lets you change more needles.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
you aren't going to get a throw to bair or fair on anyone who can DI and/or read you correctly maybe you can get a uair at lower percents. I never get throw to aerial off on the people I play and it's rare that they connect it on me, spare shifty mind games, but that isn't my point.

Having snake above you isn't horrible, don't get me wrong and I'm not saying shield grabbing isn't an option often times it is the better one, but needles are amazing even if it's 3 damage it is three damage that keeps your space safe and controlled, gives you an oppertunity to approach on your own terms, or that can that lets you change more needles.
Fair enough...to each his own I suppose.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I feel more in control when I'm grabbing someone rather then spacing them with needles. I'd definitely go with the needle option if I had them charged already, and would then start charging more, but keep in mind, you aren't always going to get the needles off right away, which means Snake is going to approach a little bit.

...AND if he knows Sheik, and knows how to DI, when the needles hit him, he'll DI forward towards Sheik, and get even closer, possibly within range of a FTilt or UTilt, which would suck due to needle toss lag. Most players however, I don't think would know to DI like that...maybe so, I'm not sure.

With the grab, there's no question, you've grabbed them...no di, no counter attack, jsut struggling. Then you and hit for extra damage and throw into mindgames. Both options work imo, I guess it would just be situational.

Top Bottom