• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac = OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
This thread is literally titled Little Mac OP, and reading through it, I see no advice better than "go to the edge and then grab him; throw him off and gimp him!"

This is not essentially a way to counter the character, but a common tactic used to kill any character. Combined with my experience playing as and against him, I'm lead to believe that Little Mac (and this is considering the fact that most people are not playing in tournaments, but instead in 4G on Final Destination) is incredibly strong.

OP is a silly phrase, but let's be honest, a good Little Mac is incredibly hard to defend against, and incredibly hard to work around. Unbeatable? Of course not, I would wager that everyone in this thread who is crying about him has killed at least a few Little Macs in the past week or so that the game has been out.

But it's wrong to ignore the fact that so many people are making posts and starting threads that involve the trouble they're having against Little Mac. To say "he's actually really bad, you're just not doing it right" is truly very short-sighted. Instead we should be looking at the bigger picture.

So many people have trouble against Little Mac, and want to know exactly what it is that makes him so good, not what his shortcomings are. We know his shortcomings, they're obvious, but so do the players that play Little Mac, and so they avoid the one or two situations where they don't prevail, and hastily utilize his strengths to get a win. This is what's happening in 4G - people are trying to exploit his weaknesses and failing.

For those of you making the argument that you can just grab him, throw him off, and then gimp him to death, I want to see footage of you doing this consistently.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Exactly. Little Mac can avoid being grabbed more than any other character due to speed and constant diagonal knockback. If you land, he CAN hit you right away. He may not always do it, but that's the player screwing up, not Little Mac's shortcomings.

Did you spot dodge? He can attack right away again. Did you roll? He can get to you right away and hit you.

A little mac that uses his superarmor and tilts well is virtually unstoppable, as little mac has zero ground weaknesses. Getting him into the air requires a weakness on the ground that he has - such as lag, but he has virtually none if played well. Thus 'getting him into the air' is not helpful advice. Once in the air, he can either fastfall+airdodge or counter while you approach (that was the whole point of getting him in the air). Back to square one.

Oh, and you're landing on the ground again, so enjoy being punished.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
Mac can do almost nothing against ZSS as far as I can tell. If you're playing against a good Mac, just switch to ZSS. I usually just SD and switch opponents if someone switches to ZSS because of how little Mac can do.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Sometimes people say little mac is op and it takes me a while to decide whether they're trolling or not

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ok, here's my personal problem with the whole Grab him, "throw him off stage and Gimp him" strategy/ mentality people are casually throwing out there.
Its stupid :facepalm:
That's all there is too it. If you go up against any decent (<-- note) or any REALLY good Mac's they are not going to go anywhere NEAR the edge of the stage. They aren't going to approach you unless they are trying to be stylish or trying to pull a maximum disrespect near with nairs (which is kind of a stupid thing to do in the first place).

Also with what @ Conda Conda said before, since Mac has zero ground weaknesses (when played right of course), combined with his super armor with his smash attacks and tilts that REALLY powerful, he can be a NIGHTMARE to play against. Also if he IS in the air... Counter, air dodge and fastfall :p

Also if you spam rolls against Little Mac, Down Smash says hi :)
Spamming Air dodges against Mac? Landing Lag, tilts and smash attacks say hi :grin:

So like Conda said: "Back to square one."

Also from @ Colin Steele Colin Steele "For those of you making the argument that you can just grab him, throw him off, and then gimp him to death, I want to see footage of you doing this consistently.
So much yes XD

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm starting to think that the only viable way to fight a little mac is to run away from him the entire match in a stage with platforms, a good mac will never be in a bad position to be punished. And screw his jab, it eliminates the only thing that could stop him in the ground, which would be grabs.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'm starting to think that the only viable way to fight a little mac is to run away from him the entire match in a stage with platforms, a good mac will never be in a bad position to be punished. And screw his jab, it eliminates the only thing that could stop him in the ground, which would be grabs.
What about projectiles though?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
He can just run like crazy and avoid projectiles with powershield and/or intelligent movement

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I've honestly only had consistent success beating him with Samus and Rosalina. Everyone else just gets bodied, because like people are starting to point out, "grab him and throw him off" doesn't actually work - at least not consistently.

Highwayman300

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-8908-8969
The "Throw him of the stage and win" mentality is actually hurting the game. Players often think that this is all it takes to win and don't even bother in playing smart, dumping all they knowledge about the game and praying this somehow works.
Worst is that they often get mad when this "strategy" fails.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The "Throw him of the stage and win" mentality is actually hurting the game. Players often think that this is all it takes to win and don't even bother in playing smart, dumping all they knowledge about the game and praying this somehow works.
Worst is that they often get mad when this "strategy" fails.
I hate when this happens :/

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This thread has been made and remade literally dozens of times since his reveal.

Yes, he can be a monster in the right hands. He can also be a disaster. It's too early to tell which way he'll truly stand, but either way, anyone with that glaring of a flaw can hardly be deemed OP.

For Glory settings favoring Mac's style skew the obvious truth. He struggles anywhere with platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom